Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Speed Link -- Squeeze Type Safer? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/914074-speed-link-squeeze-type-safer.html)

TromboneAl 09-20-13 04:52 PM

Speed Link -- Squeeze Type Safer?

Today I replaced a SRAM PC 971 P-Link Bicycle Chain (9-Speed, Grey) with a 45North Willful Neglect Rust Resistant Chain (8 speed) on my 8-speed bike.

The KMC speed-link from the old chain must be squeezed in order to remove it. The speed link with the new chain does not need to be squeezed.

I put the old speed link on the new chain, figuring it would be less likely to come off.

1. There shouldn't be any compatibility issue, right?

2. Is my concern warranted? That is, do non-squeeze-requiring speed links occasionally come off?

Thanks,

Al

mkane77g 09-20-13 05:00 PM

Never had a quick link dis connect.

Terex 09-20-13 05:36 PM

Never had a quick link.

Retro Grouch 09-20-13 06:41 PM

Why wouldn't you use the connector link that comes with the chain? If that one fails for any reason, that's when I'd start thinking about doing something different.

leob1 09-20-13 07:59 PM

What is a squeeze vs. non-squeeze speed link, aka quick link.?

TromboneAl 09-21-13 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by leob1 (Post 16088331)
What is a squeeze vs. non-squeeze speed link, aka quick link.?

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0...=1321473642000

To open the squeeze type, you must press in on the lateral plates in order to move the rollers towards one another and remove the link.

Why wouldn't you use the connector link that comes with the chain?
Because it is less secure.

If that one fails for any reason, that's when I'd start thinking about doing something different.
Yes, but if that one fails, I might end up sitting on the side of the freeway in the rain, breaking and shortening the chain to be able to limp home. I know the squeeze-type is very unlikely to come off, so if it's compatible, I'll use it.

[Actually, I think I have a spare speed link in my seat bag.]

I have heard stories of speed links coming off, although it seems unlikely.

Retro Grouch 09-21-13 09:06 AM

I don't know about the particular brand of chain that you described.

I can tell you that I've been using Sachs quick links for around 15 years with exactly zero failures. Actually, about a year ago I even bought a tool to speed removing a quick link in the shop. To me, good enough is good enough.

goldfinch 09-21-13 09:29 AM

I would think that if it goes on the chain and closes properly, then it fits and is compatible. Reasonable? At least, if the chain is an eight speed and used with an eight speed compatible link. Is the nine speed link also compatible with eight speed chains?

Retro Grouch 09-21-13 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by goldfinch (Post 16089482)
Is the nine speed link also compatible with eight speed chains?

I very much doubt it. The whole point of a 9-speed chain is that it's narrower.

goldfinch 09-21-13 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 16089586)
I very much doubt it. The whole point of a 9-speed chain is that it's narrower.

So, if Al used an eight speed link on his old nine speed chain he probably is ok, but if it was a nine speed link the link shouldn't fit right, should it? Because it is narrower?

John E 09-21-13 10:11 AM

Although I use SRAM chains, I assemble them using only conventional links. I carry a speed link and a multitool for emergency on-the-road repairs. Fortunately, I have never experienced a chain failure, but I do replace any chain which elongates by more than 0.5% (1/16" per 24 half-links).

Retro Grouch 09-21-13 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by goldfinch (Post 16089608)
So, if Al used an eight speed link on his old nine speed chain he probably is ok, but if it was a nine speed link the link shouldn't fit right, should it? Because it is narrower?

I'm not so sure of that either. Assuming he's using a 9-speed chain to fit a 9-speed cassette, I'd think the 8-speed quick link is going to catch at some point. What's wrong with using the connector that the manufacturer recommends and provides?

Retro Grouch 09-21-13 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 16089627)
Although I use SRAM chains, I assemble them using only conventional links. I carry a speed link and a multitool for emergency on-the-road repairs.

I'm the opposite. I join my SRAM chains using the quick link that SRAM both recommends and provides. I was going to say that if I ever did have a failure I'd use a chain tool to punch out a rivet and shorten the chain but I don't carry a chain tool with me anymore.

goldfinch 09-21-13 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 16089643)
I'm not so sure of that either. Assuming he's using a 9-speed chain to fit a 9-speed cassette, I'd think the 8-speed quick link is going to catch at some point. What's wrong with using the connector that the manufacturer recommends and provides?

He has an eight speed cassette on which he used to run a nine speed chain. He now switched to the eight. I agree that if the cassette was a nine speed the chain wouldn't have worked with an eight speed link.

Road Fan 09-21-13 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by TromboneAl (Post 16089227)
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0...=1321473642000

To open the squeeze type, you must press in on the lateral plates in order to move the rollers towards one another and remove the link.

Because it is less secure.

Yes, but if that one fails, I might end up sitting on the side of the freeway in the rain, breaking and shortening the chain to be able to limp home. I know the squeeze-type is very unlikely to come off, so if it's compatible, I'll use it.

[Actually, I think I have a spare speed link in my seat bag.]

I have heard stories of speed links coming off, although it seems unlikely.

I always find squeeze links hard to remove. I always think if it's harder for me to remove it's probably less likely to randomly pop open.

fietsbob 09-21-13 11:20 AM

Park Makes a shop tool to squeeze the Link open , easily.
pedal force stretching the chain, closes it.

Retro Grouch 09-21-13 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16089784)
Park Makes a shop tool to squeeze the Link open , easily.

Like I said, I've been using Sach's quick links for about 15 years. A year or so ago, I splurged on the Park quick link opening tool. It's become a tool that I wouldn't want to do without anymore. Even with the tool, however, I find that I have to squeeze the sides of KMC links to get them to open.

Bikey Mikey 09-21-13 01:34 PM

Closing, especially a brand new one, a KMC quick link is best(read, more easily) done when the link location is at the top of the travel between the cassette and crank, not the bottom where the derailleur is.

TromboneAl 09-21-13 02:38 PM

I have the 9-speed squeeze type quick link on the 8 speed chain, and it fits fine -- does not seem tight. I haven't ridden yet due to rain, but it travels through everything smoothly.

Closing, especially a brand new one, a KMC quick link is best(read, more easily) done when the link location is at the top of the travel between the cassette and crank, not the bottom where the derailleur is.
This is what I do: I derail the chain off of the chainrings on the front, so it is down near the bottom bracket. Thus I don't need to pull things together to attach the link.

I remember when I didn't know about the squeezing. I struggled and struggled to get it to work, then finally figured it out.

ThatBritBloke 09-21-13 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 16089711)
I always find squeeze links hard to remove. I always think if it's harder for me to remove it's probably less likely to randomly pop open.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342049

http://www.parktool.com/product/mast...k-pliers-mlp-1

TromboneAl 09-21-13 06:24 PM

I actually think there's more art to removing them than one realizes. With the ones I've used it took me a while to figure the best way, but when I did, they come off/go on pretty easily. It's as easy as shown in this video:

Other types may be different.

In any case, I rode the bike up and down the street and the chain works fine.