Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A shame-faced Luddite confesses to kissing off carbon.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A shame-faced Luddite confesses to kissing off carbon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155

But kissing off carbon is not so much a virtue as it is a limiting factor. There are some fine machines made of materials other than the "one" some may choose.

As the honored original poster of this thread, I never questioned the performance of carbon, just the aesthetics as makers seem to depart increasingly from the "classic" look that I prefer. it's trivial, but I also don't much care for the "hollow" sound they make on bad road surfaces. Trivial to some people? Sure, probably most people. Oh well.

Incidentally, I have 3 sweetly lugged bikes but, to be honest, when riding them I never look down and admire the lug work..... but still, I feel good about it at random moments.
Old 11-05-13, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I have a Gunnar Sport. Great bike, made by the Waterford guys.
I've used it for everything from group rides to lite touring to commuting.
I bought it for a simple reason, after I tried it, I couldn't not buy it, it put
a smile on my face.

Everyone should have a bike this good.
I have a Gunnar Sport from 2006 which has over 30,000 miles on it. It is a great riding frame, but i have a cf fork on it.
At the time I ordered it, the custom option was only $300 extra, so a nice custom frame doesn't have to cost a lot. A nice cf frame doesn't have to cost a lot, either.
I also have a Seven Axoim ti frame with cf fork and it rides a lot like the Cannondale CAAD5 I used to have, in other words, stiff!

I'm a member of a road bike club of over 500 members, have been since 1989, and most of the members ride full cf bikes. Most of them do not race and they seem to enjoy riding those cf bikes just fine. When I show up on a metal bike, I'm the exception.
Old 11-05-13, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
As the honored original poster of this thread, I never questioned the performance of carbon, just the aesthetics as makers seem to depart increasingly from the "classic" look that I prefer. it's trivial, but I also don't much care for the "hollow" sound they make on bad road surfaces. Trivial to some people? Sure, probably most people. Oh well.

Incidentally, I have 3 sweetly lugged bikes but, to be honest, when riding them I never look down and admire the lug work..... but still, I feel good about it at random moments.
What do you think about the look of a Calfee?
Old 11-05-13, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger

Well you're probably right but I wonder if an LBS put attractive sensible welded steel randonneur kind of bikes out on the floors, for a good price, with their ugly aluminum CF lookin' wannabe bikes what effect it might have for a newbie cycling customer that wasn't necessarily all that interested in racing.

And they wouldn't so much mind getting dusted by guys riding in gym shorts and T shirts
Don't bother wondering. The people have spoken. In the motorcycle world I am sorta like you retro types here. I like sport bikes where you can see the motor. (I ain't completely like you guys. I still want modern tech.) With a few exceptions they all sell like crap. But there are still people on the message boards who clamor for each new Euro model naked bike to be brought to the US. And every now and then, the big japanese companies do. And inevitably they sell somewhere between terrible and very niche. Except Ducatis. But they're a niche unto themselves.
Old 11-05-13, 10:16 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Yeah but what you are talking is profit margins and bikes aiming at the relatively lower part of the market are necassarilly going to have a lower profit margin. I suspect that's part of the marketing decisions. But I'm no shopping bag counting marketeer and that's why I still hit the timeclock, lol. I've spend little time at an LBS and so will defer the argument.

What I am aware of though is that newer tech doesn't always make practical sense in certain applications. I can still kick butt with well hand-ground brazed carbide on an engine lathe turning 4140 shaftwork (or any other 4140 work for that matter). But the tool salesman who has never done shaftwork on an engine lathe will always try to say I can't beat his carbide inserts.

I'm not foolish enough to say I can replace CNC but I can do that on the manuals alright and have had to make believers more than once. Same with bikes to a degree. I think that CF has applications and steel has others.
I am not disagreeing with either you or Velo that steel has a place. I am simply saying consumer tastes change and can be seen objectively. Not that you aren't objective only that far too many ascribe some kind of magic quality to steel and even Ti that for the more less traditional among us can't be measured. So when a new rider walks into a LBS and sees two bikes what is the first thing they do? Admit it they pick the bike up off of the floor. That can be measured and if a nice steel lugged bike is sitting next to a CF and even a Aluminum machine the customer doesn't give one whit if a skilled craftsman made the machine or a bunch of elves. They will be attracted to the lighter machine and may even start the conversation on why is Bike A lighter than bike B and why is bike C heavier than either of the other two? And that is in my opinion why the major dealers don't have more steel bikes and why steel is now more or less relegated to custom and semi-custom companies.

Is any of this a bad thing? I can't see why because sooner or later as you say the old farts (me included) will be dead and the dealers will still have to find customers. The cycling community as a whole embraced CF and even Aluminum for a reason, whatever that reason was, price or performance. Old School still has a place just as it does with Motorcycles and trucks and maybe even machinery. That being said I know people that love old records, my nephew is one. But try as he might he has a much harder time getting a quality record player than he does getting a good DVD or Blue Ray. That is just how it is and it is just as unlikely that the few will reverse that trend. Touring bikes and Brevet bikes like Wedding dresses will still be needed, and made specially or at least in limited quantities.
Old 11-06-13, 12:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What do you think about the look of a Calfee?
Don't see many Calfee's (in fact, any) around here.... pretty rural. LBS's carry the usual Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Trek lines of bikes. Calfee tries to do tubes, but joins them together with some kinda strange looking "lugs". Not as pretty as my Rivendell, to me. Again, their performance is not in question.
Old 11-06-13, 02:03 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Don't bother wondering. The people have spoken. In the motorcycle world I am sorta like you retro types here. I like sport bikes where you can see the motor. (I ain't completely like you guys. I still want modern tech.) With a few exceptions they all sell like crap. But there are still people on the message boards who clamor for each new Euro model naked bike to be brought to the US. And every now and then, the big japanese companies do. And inevitably they sell somewhere between terrible and very niche. Except Ducatis. But they're a niche unto themselves.

You can still get yourself a Royal Enfield but they're made in India. I would hope they have a better electrical system than Lucas used to make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Royal Enfield_g5-classic.jpg (57.3 KB, 10 views)
scrambler-trials.jpg (33.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 11-06-13 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-06-13, 02:29 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts

Here's my custom Alchemy Xanthus made with Enve carbon tubing. I chose this model because of the classic look. I also have a Moots Compact and a 1975 Albert Eisentraut road bike.
Attached Images
Alchemy_Xanthus.jpg (81.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-06-13, 07:45 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No carbon bike in my garage, but I wouldn't mind one. I've currently got steel and aluminum.

Carbon:
Attached Images
Full.jpg (101.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-06-13, 07:46 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
and a steel model:
Attached Images
Full (1).jpg (100.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-07-13, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

That classic look is because of technology, before recent advances in welding technology like TIG welding, it was quite difficult to weld thin tubing like that used in higher end bicycles, without burn through. Brazing (a form of soldering really) the tubes into lugs, was easier because it used a metal that melts at a lower temperature to hold the joints together. CF can be made all in one piece, so they don't need that classic look, it allows different designs to be used.
Old 11-07-13, 11:43 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I want a carbon fiber casket so it won't rot like wood, rust away like steel, or corrode away like aluminium, and won't be subject to grave diggers looking for titanium to sell to the recyclers!
Old 11-07-13, 02:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
That classic look is because of technology, before recent advances in welding technology like TIG welding, it was quite difficult to weld thin tubing like that used in higher end bicycles, without burn through. Brazing (a form of soldering really) the tubes into lugs, was easier because it used a metal that melts at a lower temperature to hold the joints together. CF can be made all in one piece, so they don't need that classic look, it allows different designs to be used.
Thank you, Wogster! Human nature being what it is, I suppose we draw lines of resistance against change and it's underlying threat-- mortality. I prefer 57 Chevies, lugged steel bikes, and hamburgers with ketchup not salsa. Someday, my son may draw his line by preferring good old carbon to ...... well, whatever is the latest thing bike engineers have come up with then.

There's just no accounting for Taste. Or Olde Fartes.
Old 11-09-13, 08:57 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Lets not get too excited here. Right now the industry is trying to sell carbon and advertising it heavily. But----------what will they be pushing in 5 or 10 years? There is always new technology comming down the pike. Maybe the nano technology will give us a one pound frame that is 5 times stronger than todays carbon frames. You can bet your bippy that the industry will drop carbon as a totally has been, and fully jump on to the new frame tech, and of course charge ever more for it. Save you pennies boyz.
Old 11-09-13, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by rydabent
Lets not get too excited here. Right now the industry is trying to sell carbon and advertising it heavily. But----------what will they be pushing in 5 or 10 years? There is always new technology comming down the pike. Maybe the nano technology will give us a one pound frame that is 5 times stronger than todays carbon frames. You can bet your bippy that the industry will drop carbon as a totally has been, and fully jump on to the new frame tech, and of course charge ever more for it. Save you pennies boyz.
this is true, but I'm not so sure about 5 to 10 years, maybe 15 to 20, but regardless will it be better? Will it last longer? less fatigue issues, not subject to sudden failure? cost too much to even bother for the average rider? There are all these questions and more that need to be settled before the new technology gets out. Of course what will the UCI do concerning their far outdated rule for 14.99 pound limit, if they stay steadfast in that rule then the new material probably won't matter and never come to market.
Old 11-09-13, 11:19 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What a futile or pointless thread!
Old 11-09-13, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by VNA
What a futile or pointless thread!
Yes, isn't it great!
Old 11-11-13, 07:24 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you, Wogster! Human nature being what it is, I suppose we draw lines of resistance against change and it's underlying threat-- mortality. I prefer 57 Chevies, lugged steel bikes, and hamburgers with ketchup not salsa. Someday, my son may draw his line by preferring good old carbon to ...... well, whatever is the latest thing bike engineers have come up with then.

There's just no accounting for Taste. Or Olde Fartes.
Or in 20 years when oil is $500/bbl, it will be too expensive to make CF, which is essentially a petroleum product, and they will be making bicycles out of metal again....
Old 11-11-13, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I can't wait!
Old 11-12-13, 12:50 AM

Or in 20 years when oil is $500/bbl, it will be too expensive to make CF, which is essentially a petroleum product, and they will be making bicycles out of metal again....
And how will they do that without coal fired mills? In 20 years most of the steel is real riders will be dead and no one will remember how to make a metal bike? And without the products we get from petroleum our food production will be down, the delivery system will be broken and the doomsday people will be shooting cyclists as varmints. As long as we are pontificating.
Old 11-12-13, 09:39 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
And how will they do that without coal fired mills? In 20 years most of the steel is real riders will be dead and no one will remember how to make a metal bike? And without the products we get from petroleum our food production will be down, the delivery system will be broken and the doomsday people will be shooting cyclists as varmints. As long as we are pontificating.
I specifically said metal, which is not necessarily steel, it could be steel, it could be another metal, it could even be an alloy we have never seen before. I expect though, that if people are shooting cyclists, it will be to steal the bicycle, because those will be the price of a car, and cars, well at $45/gallon, expect that they will be abandoned at the side of the road, because nearly everyone will be paid the minimum wage of $12/hr....
Old 11-12-13, 02:18 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts

Oh I thought about not posting this alright......nah
Old 11-12-13, 02:34 PM

I specifically said metal, which is not necessarily steel, it could be steel, it could be another metal, it could even be an alloy we have never seen before. I expect though, that if people are shooting cyclists, it will be to steal the bicycle, because those will be the price of a car, and cars, well at $45/gallon, expect that they will be abandoned at the side of the road, because nearly everyone will be paid the minimum wage of $12/hr....

What no air cars and moving sidewalks? No synthetic humans? Blade Runner was just
a movie? I would have responded quicker except I haven't taught my smart phone to post by voice. Will look into Dragon.
Old 11-12-13, 02:49 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
read where Royal Enfield made a Diesel Motorcycle engine at one time ..
Old 11-12-13, 03:09 PM

Bikes: EPX 202 Road Bike; Fuji Ace Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both CF and steel. I love the feel of my CF EPX 303 (named Carbon Electra) on any road. It is lighter, faster and more responsive, but I Love the look of my CA 1990's 7-speed Fuji Ace (named Steely Dan). It is a workhorse that has never failed me. It is the best of both worlds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.