Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A shame-faced Luddite confesses to kissing off carbon.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At 66 and just retired, I've decided I "need" a new bike. Dropped by the LBS to check 'em out-- as usual. Virtually everything is carbon of course. Bikes I've read about here and elsewhere, and seen out on the road...bikes that get wonderful reviews. I test rode a few; I liked the lightness and muted road buzz (not so much the "klunk" when they hit a real bump-- my steel bikes go "twang" which feels better to me. I could easily gladly ride any of them. But I won't.

I just don't like the looks, the aesthetics of them, including the paint. I don't like a head tube as thick as my calf. I don't like the squirted out of a frosting tube appearance of the tubes. I know, I know...form follows function and after 50 miles and me still fresh as a daisy, I'd love them more.

Sorry, I'm just velo-shallow I guess. I'll be looking for a used titanium or maybe a new Habanero.

No intention of a flame thing here about carbon vs. whatever.......... just a matter of aesthetics and a cranky inability to modernize. I'm one of those guys who leans his bike against the window at Starbucks and then just likes to look at it-- the way some men stare at their wives.
Old 09-30-13, 06:22 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
not so much the "klunk" when they hit a real bump-- my steel bikes go "twang" which feels better to me
Funny you would say that. I remember my thought when I went to a CF fork from a steel fork. I had heard that CF would provide a "plush" ride and all kinds of stuff. My conclusion? When hit a bump, it went "bong" instead of "bang."

No biggie ... except the difference between bong and bang adds up over a lot of miles.

Vive la différence.

Old 09-30-13, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'm one of those guys who leans his bike against the window at Starbucks and then just likes to look at it-- the way some men stare at their wives.
With a relatively plush budget one doesn't need to limit oneself to the carbon fibre whatever's at the local bike shops ... there are some gorgeous steel bikes out there that are as light as any CF bike with similar components. They're also just as delicate. When you described leaning your bike against the Starbucks window I could visualize myself doing the same, checking it twice to make sure that nothing has the opportunity to result in a scratch or a ding. While my bikes are nothing out of the ordinary, they are MY bikes and I love them dearly. As for beautiful bikes worthy of admiration, I have a friend with a Cinelli Nuevo Super Corsa - every time he rides it I'm in awe. It's such a beautifully crafted work of art.

Best wishes in your search for that bike deserving of your admiration!
Old 09-30-13, 07:25 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Like the paint of my steel Gunnar Roadie. Did a charity ride with a group a couple weeks ago, lots of carbon & lots of riders commenting about eye appeal of the frame. IMHO, CF looks ugly.
Wood, the original carbon fiber, looks great!
Old 09-30-13, 07:39 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
That's the trouble when most of the designers in the industry are young, but the customers with the most money to spend are older.

We have a completely different design aesthetic than they do.

Someday, the bike companies will figure out that what makes the guys who design them go "Way cool, dude", makes those of us who can afford them go "Gak". If they want to sell more of the fancy bikes, they need to appeal to the guys who can afford them.

I don't have as much a problem with tube sizes and shapes, but the multicolored arrows and graphics are just way too teenage boy for me. Don't get me started on "murdered-out black". And who thought matte finishes were a good idea? Mr Clean Magic Stain Erasers are the only things that will clean grease off a matte finish. Why should I buy a bike that has to be cleaned with a special thing?

Solid colors, understated graphics, and gloss finish. Is that too much to ask?
Old 09-30-13, 08:14 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Alright !!! Right on and power to the Luddites

I'm an even worse Luddite. I throw little index shifting plates into the ditch ! Baa Humbug. We don't need no stinking index shifters and brifter cables running all over the place, lol.

And I just bought myself another '80s steel frame (no fade paint job on this one) for a new build myself and will update the forum on it when I get it.
Old 09-30-13, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I think there ugly too. Carbon that is.
Old 09-30-13, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
There are lots of CF frames with round tubes and some with even lug type construction. It's hard to tell the material unless you trying pinging it with your nail. So if you want to knock CK, looks doesn't apply uniformly.
Old 09-30-13, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would someone educate me on what makes a bicycle "good looking"?

I bought a carbon fibre bike because it was the one that rode the best on the chip coat I have to ride on. I started at the cheapest bike and went up the expense ladder until I found one that rode acceptably. That happened to be a carbon fibre Lemond Versailles. Never even thought of esthetics when I bought it.

But, if I ever got to take that cross country bike as I go car trip I think I'd look for steel or titanium because, from what I have read, they would be more resilient to casual impact from car doors, rocks, etc.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 09-30-13 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 08:59 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Can't call myself a Luditte since I am an engineer, but I recently upgraded to a 105 level road bike and decided on steel for a number of reasons. One is feel. Another is that just like the classic look of the lugged frame. Finaly is "value engineering". The purchace price was a couple hundred less than the comparably equiped carbon bike, and the steel frame is more durable. I am someone who keeps his automobiles and average of ten years.

Oh yeah, and the dorky Wally Style Wheel unbalancing reflectors came off as soon as I got it home. 220 miles in the fisrt week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NewBike.jpg (102.1 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 09-30-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 10:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
There are lots of CF frames with round tubes and some with even lug type construction. It's hard to tell the material unless you trying pinging it with your nail. So if you want to knock CK, looks doesn't apply uniformly.
Nobody is "knocking" cf for any reason. Just talking "looks" and how they affect choices. The beer is the same, but I'd swear it tastes better out of a tall neck bottle than a can. The beautiful chick who looks adoringly at her lumpy boyfriend and wouldn't trade him. Same thing. A few thousand miles on your bike and it becomes more than the sum of it's angles, material, and weight. It becomes personal, a thing of memory, accomplishment, and grace. For me, most cf bikes just don't have the grace. This is a trivial thing really.
Old 09-30-13, 10:30 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Can't call myself a Luditte since I am an engineer, but I recently upgraded to a 105 level road bike and decided on steel for a number of reasons. One is feel. Another is that just like the classic look of the lugged frame. Finaly is "value engineering". The purchace price was a couple hundred less than the comparably equiped carbon bike, and the steel frame is more durable. I am someone who keeps his automobiles and average of ten years.

Oh yeah, and the dorky Wally Style Wheel unbalancing reflectors came off as soon as I got it home. 220 miles in the fisrt week
Luv that Masi. Nice modern components on that one proving that you don't have to be a Luddite to appreciate a lugged steel frame. Nice 2 tone paint w/o fading too.....I like.

Now you'll have to cut that funky plastic spoke protector off, file it with the reflectors, and take your chances with your chain sizing and RD adjustment to be really cool.
Old 09-30-13, 10:57 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Luddite said everything we needed to know. Do you also own a Penny Farthing?

It is good there are those that will keep some of the older builders in business or they would go the way of the record player. But after listening to so many Luddites since I joined there forums I realized they were 180 degrees away from me. When I first got back into cycling I thought I wanted a bike that would match my old Viscount aerospace PRO. I ended up with a steel Masi. Then as a N+1 I got and Aluminum Jamis, and then a Scandium Lapierre and then a CF Lapierre. The feeling so many of you talk about I call flex. Flex always equaled loss of power to me and it will never leave my mind. So the Masi was finally sold. When a car took out my CF Lapierre I was in the market again but this time I got a Tarmac Frame and built my own bike.

When I wanted to add an N+1 I once again looked at steel and thought vintage. Tried one with down tube shifters and took it right back after a short test ride. Looked at a more modern Steel and still feel the flex. Why you might ask? Because I was looking for it just like a luddite looks for flaws in the new wonder material, what ever that material might be.

Obviously we as a group will never agree on the frame material we choose to ride. Not long ago I picked up a 91 Klein with full Dura Ace front to rear. About two months ago I had it converted to SRAM. I put CF Aero bars on it and now ride it for many of my flatter rides. I was out on it today and did reasonably well on a Strava segment that has challenged me for a while. When asked about why I like riding it now I simply reply, no flex. It is a preference and a feeling. But then, I have never been a luddite.
Old 09-30-13, 11:50 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
No intention of a flame thing here about carbon vs. whatever.......... just a matter of aesthetics and a cranky inability to modernize. I'm one of those guys who leans his bike against the window at Starbucks and then just likes to look at it-- the way some men stare at their wives.

This is a big part of the reason I ride a Ducati. Sometimes things just "speak" to you.
Old 10-01-13, 01:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Luddite said everything we needed to know. Do you also own a Penny Farthing?

No, I don't own a Penny Farthing, but I'm sure I would have resisted such a damned infernal new fangled contraption. But, we're all hypocrits somewhere.... I'd never give up my brifters, cut-out saddle, spray lube, clip-ins, or neutral tasting water bottles. And de-fizzed coke and bananas turning black in my jersey pocket both blow. I do like wool on chilly autumn mornings.
Old 10-01-13, 04:16 AM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
My Colnago Extreme Power frame come with lug construction . Personally , it rides better then my steel bike , handle road shock smoother . Best of all , I feel less fatigue after the ride . What's not like about cf .
Old 10-01-13, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
That's the trouble when most of the designers in the industry are young, but the customers with the most money to spend are older.

We have a completely different design aesthetic than they do.

Someday, the bike companies will figure out that what makes the guys who design them go "Way cool, dude", makes those of us who can afford them go "Gak". If they want to sell more of the fancy bikes, they need to appeal to the guys who can afford them.

I don't have as much a problem with tube sizes and shapes, but the multicolored arrows and graphics are just way too teenage boy for me. Don't get me started on "murdered-out black". And who thought matte finishes were a good idea? Mr Clean Magic Stain Erasers are the only things that will clean grease off a matte finish. Why should I buy a bike that has to be cleaned with a special thing?

Solid colors, understated graphics, and gloss finish. Is that too much to ask?
Designed by the same aesthetic parameters as is also used to make the new "tennis" shoes?
Old 10-01-13, 06:05 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
I loved my Paramount when I built it in '83. I enjoyed the ride when a friend gave me his recently deceased brother's CAAD8. Now I have a Giant Propel and enjoy it more than the other two put together. To each our own.

As far as a bike being alive and beautiful, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and me eyes find this RENOVO a true piece of art that is alive...... https://www.renovobikes.com/display/S...=1351645607293
Old 10-01-13, 07:19 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I am another cyclist that is not impressed by carbon frames. Personally I think they are too delicate and too easily damaged. I also think they will deteriorate over time due to ultraviolet effects on the plastic resin.

If I had a choice I would go with titanium and then steel.
Old 10-01-13, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Show up with this and you'll get a lot of looks and comments:

Old 10-01-13, 07:37 AM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nobody is "knocking" cf for any reason. Just talking "looks" and how they affect choices. The beer is the same, but I'd swear it tastes better out of a tall neck bottle than a can. The beautiful chick who looks adoringly at her lumpy boyfriend and wouldn't trade him. Same thing. A few thousand miles on your bike and it becomes more than the sum of it's angles, material, and weight. It becomes personal, a thing of memory, accomplishment, and grace. For me, most cf bikes just don't have the grace. This is a trivial thing really.
Uhm, it does taste better out a long neck even better a proper beer glass.
Like wine from a wine glass.

Both manage the smells and delivery for the product.

Last edited by Null66; 10-01-13 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling, rather typing...
Old 10-01-13, 07:38 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Now you'll have to cut that funky plastic spoke protector off, file it with the reflectors, and take your chances with your chain sizing and RD adjustment to be really cool.
Nah. It does say Shimano on it. Besides, I usually wait for them to slowly disintegrate on their own. It gives it that weathered look.
Old 10-01-13, 08:09 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
a cranky inability to modernize.
That sounds familiar, however I now have a CF & a modern steel machine both built up in the last year.

Neither CF nor "brifters" were a revelation to me but for long & brisk rides the Merckx is the choice.
Wet roads and weekday rides the Soma gets the miles.
A winter re-build of the Stanyan will go to full Rando-spec w/ triple, Carradice & other LD doo-dads to further differentiate the two.
Horses for courses as they as say.

-Bandera
Attached Images
Merckx_1.jpg (41.7 KB, 74 views)
Soma_1.jpg (55.7 KB, 74 views)
Old 10-01-13, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Would someone educate me on what makes a bicycle "good looking"?
My vote would be this. It's a steel frame in classic proportions with carbon folk, and it's using my favorite color - blue.
Attached Images
Colnago Master XL.jpg (101.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 10-01-13, 08:47 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had planned to buy a super-light, expensive bike when I turned 60. Well, I'm 60 now, and I just like my current bike too much.

I would still have my 1991 Bottecchia if I'd been able t keep it from rusting in our marine environment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.