Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Spin Routine, Cross Training

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 09:28 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Two Spin posts up top this morning? So, here's a third; maybe it's inspiring, maybe is just sounds like braggadocio:

At 60 yo, feeling the dudgery and time crunch of long rides I started spinning every week back in February, usually relying on one particular Spin class and its decent instructor.

Level up - did a P90X routine before Spin, walk into class sweating like a pig.
Level up - wanting a longer, more intense cardio work-out I started running a treadmill 5K before Spin.
Level up - added a balance and core work-out between running and Spin
Level up - started interval training on the 5K with a MP3 coach, pushing speed and distance & shooting for 10K
Level up - got a SufferFest video on the smartphone so I'm not tied down to the Spin class, pick my own timing. Figure I'll try to finish the SufferFest before Spin, then ride through the class as more of a lower intensity recovery ride - we'll see how that works.
Level up - added one day trail running in the wild, minimalist glove shoes

Rides are more pure enjoyment now, I don't feel obligated to make them long, difficult efforts - I get that done at the gym. Jacuzzi and bathroom close by, nice. Although I'm probably in terrible shape for riding a century or double, ain't no hill going to cause me any distress these days.

Gyms / cross training are wonderful things. I just occurs to me that if you approach the indoor workout idea with a genuine fitness plan, avoid just falling into a heavy metal routine, you can experience some huge gains in bike fitness & cardio. And that 24 hour fitness membership at $39 a month is a flat out bargain, assuming you are fortuneate to live close to one of the supersport centers.

I guess the social aspect of club rides is missing, but man... I feel 20 yrs younger. Call me Gymrat, SpinLuver.
Old 10-02-13, 09:53 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My medicare supplement pays fo 24 hr fitness Super Sport.