Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride report; two philanthropic families, a new trail and new tire

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-03-13, 10:32 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My ride today would take me across the paths of two philanthropic families who through their generosity I, and every other rider, can enjoy the beauty of our local mountains.

My ride will start with the McCrary family and end with the Wilder family. I feel honored because in my 45 years in this town my path and theirs have crossed before.

In 1863 the roots of one side of the McCrary family made their way to Santa Cruz from Iowa, already familiar with the area as many were from working on whalers in the Santa Cruz Davenport area . A much later venture was Big Creek Lumber that the McCrarys own.

Emma McCrary was a well know trail proponent and worked very hard creating, building and maintaining trails in the Santa Cruz Mountains over the last 50 years.
Emma grooming a trail from horseback as she was known to do.

My first trail today would be a steep climb up out of Santa Cruz into the mountains on a trail opened this summer and named for Emma who passed away in 2011,The Emma McCrary Trail. The trail was a product of a lot of hard work and hard fought battles by the local bike clubs, the public and local municipal jurisdictions against the bike trail opponents. The proposed trail crossed the “holy ground” in Santa Cruz, Pogonip, a beautiful open space where bikes have never been welcome and many fought very hard to keep them out………They lost!

It is my first time on the trail. I pick it up at its start about a ˝ mile from the end of the MUP that hugs the San Lorenzo River. It starts out in an environment that is a bit open and dry and then climbs its way up to the redwoods, the shade, and the deep rich dark forest floor. The trail is a wonderful single track with some beautiful new bridges.

The trail took me up to the Uconn trail which took me up behind the University and onto a large open space area now owned by the state, the Wilder Ranch. This is the second philanthropic family I must thank today. This parcel was a very large working ranch where the property ran up into the mountains and in a generous gesture was donated to the state as an open space park with multi use trails.

I finish up down next to Pacific Ocean at what remains today of the working Wilder Ranch that is a popular tourist destination and interpretive area for local school groups.

It makes a person feel good that there are families of means that choose to share their good fortune with the rest of us.

Oh ya, the 40mm tires run at 50R 40F did a great job on the hard pack, loose dirt, gravel, rock and sand. I like them.
Old 10-04-13, 05:15 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice report. Nice scenery. Wonderful people.
Old 10-04-13, 06:11 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Very nice report, a beautiful reminder of why we live in the bay area.

I'm retiring soon and a mountain bike is on my shopping list. I'll be sure to get over there.