Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Added Joys of Servicing Your Own Bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Added Joys of Servicing Your Own Bike

Old 10-08-13, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
It is the cost of the specialized tools to do anything besides routine maintenance.

I am slowly building up my tool kit - buying what I need as needed. I did this out of necessity as I could not find a bike shop in the area that did a good job for any reasonable price. There is a definite great satisfaction in being able to true your own wheels or fixi a bottom bracket issue or doing bearing maintenance, etc.
I look at it this way, will a tool pay for itself? A chain breaker, example makes a lot of sense, they are not that expensive and you will probably use it every few years at least. The tool to chase bottom bracket threads, is something I might use once and it's very expensive, so it's a job better left to a shop.
Old 10-08-13, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure what makes servicing my own bikes a joy. I also enjoy keeping guitars maintained and adjusted properly. Yet, I have no interest in working on my car or doing most home repairs. (Despite my lack of interest for the home repairs, I often find myself doing them to save money and/or make sure they are done correctly.) So, why do I like one but not the other? I'm guessing it's a more personal connection to my bikes and guitars. But that doesn't explain why I also like working on the guitars and bikes of friends. So, it must be something else. Perhaps it's the more immediate feedback of the task being done correctly or incorrectly. With cars, I never know. With bicycles I know right away. Yeah, that might be it.
Old 10-08-13, 11:10 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I clean and inspect my bike regularly and do the little things like replace brake shoes, but look at what my local MEC (the equivalent of REI) offers for a flat 85.00...

"Hubs disassembled, cleaned, and inspected. Repacked with new bearings and greased.
Frame fully cleaned and inspected for fatigue damage.
Frame and fork wiped down.
Wheels trued radially and laterally. Spoke tension checked/adjusted.
Crankset removed, bottom bracket tapers cleaned.
Front and rear hub bearings adjusted.
Derailleur and cable tension checked or adjusted.
Derailleur hanger aligned if needed.
All pivot points lubricated.
Threadlock applied to crank bolt, rotor bolts, calliper bolts, and loose hardware.
Brake cable tension, shoe height, and angle checked or adjusted. Centre orientation confirmed.
Headset checked for proper bearing adjustment, adjusted as needed.
Bottom bracket checked for proper bearing adjustment.
Flats repaired, tires installed if needed and filled to maximum stated pressure.
Stem, handlebar, seat, controls, seatpost, and crankarms checked and adjusted".

Gives me a nice secure feeling before fall touring season begins. This year they caught a dangerously worn rim, something I'm not sure I ever would have noticed. Another thing occurs to me - although most of us oldsters own houses with garages, things are changing as the population moves to apartments and condos, where bike maintenance becomes less convenient.
Old 10-08-13, 01:47 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I'm lucky enough to volunteer at a local community bike workshop and one of the side benefits is that I can use their expensive kit such as BB thread chasers and BB/Head tube facing tools to work on my bikes.

I've not had to pay a bike shop for work for years, which suits my cheapskate nature, although I've never had to do any repairs or rebuilds of suspension forks yet so that's a big learning aim.
Old 10-10-13, 02:12 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
I can't remember ever having work done at a Bike Shop other than having a freewheel removed when I didn't have the tool. I've never installed a headset though and now I've got one to do on an '83 Trek 970 road frame that I just bought from Barretscv. So I'm kind of wondering whether I should read up on it and do it myself (I do have a 32mm wrench) or let the local LBS install it. Since I'm probably buying it from "Velo Orange" I guess I'd better learn how to do it myself.
Old 10-10-13, 02:37 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I just replaced the chain and here's some numbers.

The chain cost $45 on ebay,at a retail store its $76.

My labor is free, not sure what the retail store would charge to cut it to length and install.

BTW... I used the chain brake on my Topeak multi-tool.
Old 10-10-13, 03:10 PM

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
I can't remember ever having work done at a Bike Shop other than having a freewheel removed when I didn't have the tool. I've never installed a headset though and now I've got one to do on an '83 Trek 970 road frame that I just bought from Barretscv. So I'm kind of wondering whether I should read up on it and do it myself (I do have a 32mm wrench) or let the local LBS install it. Since I'm probably buying it from "Velo Orange" I guess I'd better learn how to do it myself.
Park Tool probably has info on how to do, as well as Sheldon Brown's site. I always used to do the cups with a block of wood and a hammer back in the '70s/'80s, just make sure they are straight and not cocked and go slowly. Probably not the best advice now. You can make your own headset press with a long bolt and some big fender washers and a nut. Same for the crown race set; a piece of thick wall 1" PVC tubing and a cap, just make sure the ends are square.
Old 10-10-13, 04:12 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I just replaced the chain and here's some numbers.

The chain cost $45 on ebay,at a retail store its $76.

My labor is free, not sure what the retail store would charge to cut it to length and install.

BTW... I used the chain brake on my Topeak multi-tool.
$76 for a chain, what is it gold plated? Most expensive chain I ever bought was $16....
Old 10-10-13, 04:21 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars
Park Tool probably has info on how to do, as well as Sheldon Brown's site. I always used to do the cups with a block of wood and a hammer back in the '70s/'80s, just make sure they are straight and not cocked and go slowly. Probably not the best advice now. You can make your own headset press with a long bolt and some big fender washers and a nut. Same for the crown race set; a piece of thick wall 1" PVC tubing and a cap, just make sure the ends are square.
^ This

Bike maintenance is not rocket science and almost anyone can do it if they're keen enough. If they're not, that's OK, that's what the LBS is for.
Old 10-10-13, 04:39 PM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Wogster
$76 for a chain, what is it gold plated?
Why, yes it is.

I got mine in silver.
Old 10-10-13, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
While I agree with you on the technical aspect, the most important thing to make sure of is that the headset is the right one. There are quite a few types out there, and the differences between them are subtle, but sufficient enough to break either the cup or the headtube on installation.

It pays to check and double check, and I have found a vernier gauge has become a very useful item in my tool collection.
Old 10-10-13, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
^ This

Bike maintenance is not rocket science and almost anyone can do it if they're keen enough. If they're not, that's OK, that's what the LBS is for.
No, it's not rocket science, because then you would only be building or firing off rockets.

But the increasing trend to proprietary parts and the increasing sophistication of materials means great care is needed to ensure the parts are what they are supposed to be. For example, tapered headsets are more common these days. The variations in BBs are considerable. Even different hubs have different bearing set-ups. It can be difficult to identify the differences, and expensive mistakes can be made.

The worst mistake most novice mechanics make with bike is applying the same force to wrenches are they would on the wheelnuts of their cars.

Yes, anyone can do it if they are keen enough. But what sort of job they make of it and how safe it is becomes a different matter.
Old 10-10-13, 05:09 PM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Rowan
The worst mistake most novice mechanics make with bike is applying the same force to wrenches are they would on the wheelnuts on tbeir car.
that's what a torque wrench and torque specs are for.

I rebuild vintage VW engines as a hobby and over torqueing a magnesium case is a sure way to an engine failure.
Old 10-10-13, 06:04 PM
Trek 500 Kid

OK thanks. I remember it being a little intimidating sounding and never had to take it on yet but I'd better learn because I have one to do on a friend's bike too.
Old 10-10-13, 06:06 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Rowan
While I agree with you on the technical aspect, the most important thing to make sure of is that the headset is the right one. There are quite a few types out there, and the differences between them are subtle, but sufficient enough to break either the cup or the headtube on installation.

It pays to check and double check, and I have found a vernier gauge has become a very useful item in my tool collection.
I've got telescoping guages and mics, calipers etc. I'll be sure to be carefull with my choice.
Old 10-10-13, 06:42 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Why, yes it is.

I got mine in silver.
One of the reasons I like an 8x3 speed....
Old 10-10-13, 06:55 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
I've got telescoping guages and mics, calipers etc. I'll be sure to be carefull with my choice.
Your old trek has a 1" threaded headset, there aren't many choices to worry about. However with the Velo Orange headset it has a stack height of about 42 mm. IIRC the old Trek 970 was speced full Campy. If so the original headset was probably around 37-38mm stack height. The top nut on the Velo Orange isn't that thick so you could conceivably have an issue with having enough threads for the top nut.

Installation tip; put the bearing cups in the freezer for about 30 minutes before you install them, they will go in much easier.
Old 10-10-13, 08:22 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by velonomad
Your old trek has a 1" threaded headset, there aren't many choices to worry about. However with the Velo Orange headset it has a stack height of about 42 mm. IIRC the old Trek 970 was speced full Campy. If so the original headset was probably around 37-38mm stack height. The top nut on the Velo Orange isn't that thick so you could conceivably have an issue with having enough threads for the top nut.

Installation tip; put the bearing cups in the freezer for about 30 minutes before you install them, they will go in much easier.
Great stuff velonomad. I haven't begun to even look around at other options yet so I'll do some research on the Campy spec and see what I can come up with. And, yeah I'll remember to shrink freeze those cups before pressing them in.
Old 10-13-13, 07:04 PM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I'm not sure what makes servicing my own bikes a joy. I also enjoy keeping guitars maintained and adjusted properly. Yet, I have no interest in working on my car or doing most home repairs. (Despite my lack of interest for the home repairs, I often find myself doing them to save money and/or make sure they are done correctly.) So, why do I like one but not the other? I'm guessing it's a more personal connection to my bikes and guitars. But that doesn't explain why I also like working on the guitars and bikes of friends. So, it must be something else. Perhaps it's the more immediate feedback of the task being done correctly or incorrectly. With cars, I never know. With bicycles I know right away. Yeah, that might be it.
I'm right there with you. I'm as familiar with StuMac as I am with Park...probably more since I've built several of their kit guitars.