Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SFCRetired
Pic is on post #10 .
Congrats on the new bike! You could always borrow someone elses white garage door for the pics. It's worked for me.

Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Am I the only one who swings the right leg over while moving, then coasts to a stop scooter-style? Not always possible, of course, but it gives you nice leverage when you have your weight on both arms.
Now that takes some real coordination! I'd be terrified to even try it for fear of crashing (coming to a stop at least).
Old 10-08-13, 12:17 PM
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What hasn't been mentioned here is that the guys have a psychological block about getting the family jewels slammed while throwing the leg over the seat. What works good for me is this: stand on the side of the bike and have hips face the seat, with both hands, grip the handlebar grips. Lean bike toward you and then with your left hand grip the seat. Then while throwing your left leg over seat and on to the left petal, use you're left hand to raise and lower the seat as needed to allow just enough room for your leg to clear comfortably.
Old 10-08-13, 12:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have compact frames which means it is easier to get on or off the bike without crushing anything vital. But I still have to lean the bike to one side to put a foot down. Just something you find your own system on but a few more trips out and you will get it.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-08-13, 01:18 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Am I the only one who swings the right leg over while moving, then coasts to a stop scooter-style? Not always possible, of course, but it gives you nice leverage when you have your weight on both arms.
That's what I do as I stated in a previous post, assuming "scooter-style" means just stopping without swinging your right leg over like you do when you mount.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-08-13, 01:39 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Pic is on post #10 .
@mobile155: My arthritis does not like the cold, even with a couple of layers on. I am hoping that, as I become more active, that some of the arthritis and some of my other problems will at least diminish some.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to have as much fun as I can!
I understand. You are in the 50+ forum after all. I have a friend that rides with me that has had open heart surgery and the cold hurts his chest where they put in the stitches. But he loves riding so much that even when it gets into the 40s he shows up to ride. He not only uses a base layer and cycling jacket but also put a heavy piece of plastic, like they make lawn and leaf bags from, between his jersey and base layer. Like I said for some cycling is addictive. And in the group I hang around with vitamin I, (Ibuprofen) is the PED of choice. But I also understand building up to it slowly so keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Old 10-08-13, 02:01 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Nice bike. Sounds like you are getting used to it and are moving along at the proper pace. Everything now will come as you spend more saddle time. As far as riding in the 50 degree range you just need to get base layers on. Soon if you become as addicted as many of us you will have Arm Warmers, Leg Warmers, Base layer shirts and base layer tights. You will have both long and short fingered gloves and maybe shoe covers. No I am not telling you to do so, only saying that more than likely you will.
I went for my 30 miler yesterday with a starting temp of 44F. Arm warmers, bibs, base layer on top under bib, long-sleeved jersey with hood, leg warmers and windbreaker and full-fingered gloves. It wasn't too long - as the weather and I warmed up - that I was shedding stuff. And, for this stuff, I carry a very small "key chain" folding backpack that works very nicely. I also brought regular gloves and traded for the full-fingered. Since I had an apple and other stuff in my rear pockets, I couldn't stuff everything in there. Hence the tiny backpack.
Old 10-08-13, 02:16 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I used to do that on my fixed gear commuter - which was extra cool because the crank would sort of lift you up on the backstroke. But when I added the rear rack and trunk bag I kept catching my leg on it and it didn't look cool when I nearly fell over a couple times.
Old 10-08-13, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice looking ride for sure. Here's wishing you many safe and carefree miles, enjoy!
Old 10-08-13, 06:41 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I used to do that on my fixed gear commuter - which was extra cool because the crank would sort of lift you up on the backstroke. But when I added the rear rack and trunk bag I kept catching my leg on it and it didn't look cool when I nearly fell over a couple times.
Gotta get that leg up. If you're doing it right, you should look roughly like this...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagesCAJ9RAA8.jpg (3.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-08-13, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta get that leg up. If you're doing it right, you should look roughly like this...

Just NO! Cycle shorts are bad enough. I am not, repeat NOT, going to wear a tutu!!
Old 10-08-13, 08:47 PM
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great looking bike! Keep it fun, push enough to challenge yourself and you'll do fine!
Old 10-09-13, 05:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried for thirty miles this morning. Wind was blowing me all over the road and traffic was picking up. I cut it short at a little less than thirty minutes because I just did not feel safe. After I get more time in the saddle on this bike, it probably won't bother me, but, right now, it just doesn't work for me.

You folks out West probably have to deal with a lot more wind than I do; how do you cope with it?
Old 10-09-13, 05:28 AM
Banned.

Tried for thirty miles this morning. Wind was blowing me all over the road and traffic was picking up. I cut it short at a little less than thirty minutes because I just did not feel safe. After I get more time in the saddle on this bike, it probably won't bother me, but, right now, it just doesn't work for me.

You folks out West probably have to deal with a lot more wind than I do; how do you cope with it?
I consider it the "standard of riding" here. If you can't ride in the wind, then you, generally, don't ride. However, we have had some great days lately with winds only about 10 mph.

How do I cope? Practice and just doing it. It was interesting to me when my good friend from Alaska remarked that, where he lived, they didn't have this wind!! I also keep in mind that downslope in the early morning and upslope as things warm up - but not always. Then there are the thunderstorms and cold and warm fronts moving through which throw all calculations off. Just keep doing it - you will get better - and consider it a training activity such as hills and intervals.
Old 10-09-13, 07:08 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Makes a difference when you are not trying to push 33 lbs of bike around.

Gee ... ya think?

Pretty sweet bike, but do I spy platform pedals on it? When you get more comfortable with the dismount, go for some clipless pedals and cycling shoes. You won't believe the difference they can make.

Old 10-09-13, 08:42 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Makes a difference when you are not trying to push 33 lbs of bike around.
On the other hand, in a crosswind or being passed by semi's on the I-5, my steel touring hybrid feels a nice and stable. It's a trade-off.

Fortunately, up here in the Pacific Northwest, wind is seldom a factor.
Old 10-09-13, 09:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

Gee ... ya think?

Pretty sweet bike, but do I spy platform pedals on it? When you get more comfortable with the dismount, go for some clipless pedals and cycling shoes. You won't believe the difference they can make.
I considered both clip and clipless. I just do not like the idea of being "tied" to the bike if something (as it frequently does with me) goes wrong. With the platform pedals, which are not bad btw, I know I am coordinated enough to bail and do a PLF (parachute landing fall) when I hit. No, I was never airborne, but I did get trained, many years ago, as a skydiver. Those were back in the days when I thought I was immortal!
Old 10-09-13, 10:01 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got platform pedals , and just use regular shoes , never used my clipless stuff in a couple years..
Old 10-09-13, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another short, thirty minute, ride this evening. I've finally got the mount/dismount thing down and don't come close to either killing myself or looking like the idiot that I probably am.

Two of the things that are taking me some time to get used to are the facts that this bike is much faster than anything I've ever ridden (and I love it!) and that the steering is far more responsive. Every time I twitch, it changes direction. I suspect that I am a little ham-handed, but perhaps my touch will improve with time.
Old 10-09-13, 06:48 PM
Banned.

Another short, thirty minute, ride this evening. I've finally got the mount/dismount thing down and don't come close to either killing myself or looking like the idiot that I probably am.

Two of the things that are taking me some time to get used to are the facts that this bike is much faster than anything I've ever ridden (and I love it!) and that the steering is far more responsive. Every time I twitch, it changes direction. I suspect that I am a little ham-handed, but perhaps my touch will improve with time.
Yes, your touch will get so fine-tuned it will amaze you.

I pulled a road bike off the rack that I had not ridden all year and pumped and lubricated and took it out. Because I had not ridden this bike in some time, it took about 15 minutes to adjust my body to the different steering response!!

Keep in the back of your mind that most of your steering should be done by your butt - as in leaning your bike instead of turning the bars.
Old 10-09-13, 07:47 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just bought a new Trek (Compact?) and am tickled pink.
From the photo, it looks to be a 2013 Trek 1.2 (the "compact" refers to the bike having two front chainrings of a particular gearing, as opposed to a "triple" with three chainrings). A fine choice, if you ask me.
Old 10-09-13, 10:01 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Nice bike... I have a problem getting my leg over the saddle so I just lean it and its doable.
There ya go....with a brake held on. When dismounting, If you're wearing MTB shorts, just reach down to the front of the seat and grab it like a saddle horn so you won't catch the crotch of the shorts on it when you're wearily getting off after a long ride.
Old 10-11-13, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ride this morning; a little over 24 miles. Then the Old Man got home and promptly erased the ride from the bike computer. I'm glad the neighbors and my wife were not able to hear what I was thinking when I found out what I had done!!

I'm much more comfortable on the bike now, and it didn't take as long as I thought it would. Tomorrow morning, after it warms up a bit, I'm going to try my first road ride. I also do not want to get on that particular road and it still dark. Although I have good lights front and rear, I'd just as soon not risk it as the road is not well-lighted.

One more question: Have any of you shipped a bike by air? Can you give me a rough idea of the cost? Wife wants to go to China next year and all her relatives want me to go with her. I don't really want to be off the bike for two months, but may have to. I would really love to have the bike with me as there are some beautiful place not far from my wife's home in China.

Last edited by SFCRetired; 10-11-13 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 04:41 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
It varies from airline to airline, so contact them and ask. Having it fly with you is best, but can get fairly expensive (>$100 each way).

You can also ship it by FedEx and the like, but that is just about as expensive, in my experience.

Old 10-12-13, 08:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
It varies from airline to airline, so contact them and ask. Having it fly with you is best, but can get fairly expensive (>$100 each way).

You can also ship it by FedEx and the like, but that is just about as expensive, in my experience.
Thanks for the advice. I checked and the prices and conditions they quoted very quickly blew that idea out of the water. Maybe I can get lucky and rent something to do a few rides on.
Old 10-12-13, 09:10 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
To get onto my diamond frame beater bike I lay it on the ground, step over it and lift it up under me. Dismounts are similar only reversed of course. If I try to swing my leg over I have to twist my foot on the ground and it makes my hip hurt.

When I ride my recumbent I can just lift my leg over without hurting anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.