Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nicer hybrid bicycle for wife. Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Nicer hybrid bicycle for wife. Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I sort of agree with you. A nice road bike is just so much more like flying than even a spiffy hybrid. I asked if she would test ride one just to see what it's like, but she wasn't interested. And as I get older, I've learned that I have to let other people (and not just my wife) make their own decision, even if it's not the decision I would make.
Indeed.
Old 11-08-13, 12:01 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by decosse
So was a decision made ? Just curious. By the way, due to this thread I just got a 2014 Specialized Vita. You all have a lot to answer for, lol. j/k
Congratulations on your n+1.

In fact, we've yet to buy a bike. She is leaning towards the Cannondale Quick (SL1), but the last time we went to the LBS we were still working out the sizing because they didn't have all the sizes on the showroom floor. And then it got cold and then....

It will happen, and it will probably be the Cannondale, but it may not be for a while.
Old 11-08-13, 12:04 AM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

In fact, we've yet to buy a bike. She is leaning towards the Cannondale Quick (SL1), but the last time we went to the LBS we were still working out the sizing because they didn't have all the sizes on the showroom floor. And then it got cold and then....

It will happen, and it will probably be the Cannondale, but it may not be for a while.
The Cannondale Quick SL 1 seems to be an awesome bike. I didn't know about the model until after I bought my FX. Otherwise I'd definitely have test-ridden it.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-08-13, 10:39 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I sort of agree with you. A nice road bike is just so much more like flying than even a spiffy hybrid. I asked if she would test ride one just to see what it's like, but she wasn't interested. And as I get older, I've learned that I have to let other people (and not just my wife) make their own decision, even if it's not the decision I would make.
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone suggested getting a drop-bar road bike . . . and then swapping out the drop-bars and shifters for flat handlebars and the appropriate shifters? Maybe even that 50-something sales lady would make the swap as part of the deal. (She sounds like a good, conscientious sales rep that can really identify with your wife's needs and wants.)
Old 11-08-13, 10:44 AM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone suggested getting a drop-bar road bike . . . and then swapping out the drop-bars and shifters for flat handlebars and the appropriate shifters? Maybe even that 50-something sales lady would make the swap as part of the deal. (She sounds like a good, conscientious sales rep that can really identify with your wife's needs and wants.)
I don't think anyone has made that suggestion, although it makes sense. Myself, I suggested that she consider getting a road-like hybrid or even a true flat-bar road bike (such as the Trek 7.7 FX), but I agree that getting a drop-bar road bike and having the handlebar swapped would give her more choices.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-08-13, 11:48 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Haven't thought of it. Apart from the obvious advantage that it could later be returned to a true drop-bar bike, what would be the advantage over a true flat-bar road bike such as a Trek 7.x FX or a Quick? I don't get the impression that one would get better frame materials or componentry at the same price point, just a different geometry.
Old 11-09-13, 12:30 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Haven't thought of it. Apart from the obvious advantage that it could later be returned to a true drop-bar bike, what would be the advantage over a true flat-bar road bike such as a Trek 7.x FX or a Quick? I don't get the impression that one would get better frame materials or componentry at the same price point, just a different geometry.
Don't have any scientific analysis to back this up, but I'd bet that it would not be as heavy, be able to attain higher speeds with the same effort output, and possibly be more comfortable on longer rides. I'd bet the rid position would be pretty close to a drop bar bike, (assuming the drop bar bike rider rides with his hands on the top, (as most of us do most of the time)).

I have one of the ancestors to the FX series. It's a Trek Single-Track 930. Compared to my CF road bikes, the 930 is a real dog. However, it can carry the weight. With front and rear panniers/racks, it can take me cross country, (if I'm not in a big hurry), with everything I'd need.

If this is something you want to investigate, start by asking that sales lady if it is even possible, then if it is financially efficient.
Old 11-09-13, 01:05 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
this one? https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...or-only-11-200
Old 11-09-13, 03:29 AM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you look at geometry charts for road bikes and hybrids, the road bikes almost always have much shorter top tubes, because the rider's hands are placed in front of the stem by about 3 or 4 inches. So, for a flat bar, a much longer stem would also be required. Swapping out shifters, stem, and handlebars would be an expensive proposition - it would be cheaper just to buy a flat bar road bike from the start.
Old 11-09-13, 10:06 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

In fact, we've yet to buy a bike. She is leaning towards the Cannondale Quick (SL1), but the last time we went to the LBS we were still working out the sizing because they didn't have all the sizes on the showroom floor. And then it got cold and then.... It will happen, and it will probably be the Cannondale, but it may not be for a while.
Thanks

Totally understandable, you want the bike to be right. Finding one to try is difficult. What we did to approximate size was get the specs of another bike that was very similar and try it for reach and so on. I didn't think about the cold and end of season- our summers are tough here, but weather is great right now.

I would've gone with the Cannondale Quick, I think it's a great bike- except they don't have a woman's in my size. I'm almost 5'11 and the Quick XT wasn't big enough. We tried a "unisex"-men's Quick Lg, and that would've been fine-except I hated the colors . Well, unless I wanted to upgrade to a Carbon or SL-way over my budget.

Specialized has a woman's Vita XL, which has a big enough frame. Once it arrived, they used the Body Geometry System to fit it. I'm pleased with the bike, just getting used to it. It is fast!

I'm the OP and I'm not totally sure either, but from the way she talks about it, she may never go for the full roady experience - not the bicycle and not the other things that go with it (distances, speed, pedal system, outfit, attitude, etc. etc.). If she ever gets there, there's always n+1, so we're shopping for the right bike for now.
That fits me to a "T" (grin) and what got me following your thread.

My LBS said once I got used to the bike, and had any thoughts about moving up, they could flip the stem, or add spacers or change the handlebars to a more aggressive stance-if I wanted it. Just a thought, I'm sure they could do the same with a Quick.

Anyway, you and she have something to look forward to come spring!
Old 11-09-13, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by decosse
Thanks

Totally understandable, you want the bike to be right. Finding one to try is difficult. What we did to approximate size was get the specs of another bike that was very similar and try it for reach and so on. I didn't think about the cold and end of season- our summers are tough here, but weather is great right now.
I didn't notice from your previous post that you're in Las Vegas. Definitely the seasons are not the same as in Minnesota. Some winters (though not this coming one), I bug out to Las Vegas for a long weekend in January (e.g., MLK Day), just to do some road riding in the middle of the winter. There may be other candidates (Tuscon?) but for that time of year, Las Vegas is hard to beat for a quick cycling vacation. I rent a bike at McGhie's and then go up to Red Rock Canyon/Blue Diamond Rd. Some times I also join one of the bike clubs on a group ride that goes up to the gunnery range or something like that. There sure is some great riding there. And in the midst of the Minnesota winter, that little respite does wonders for my attitude.
Old 11-09-13, 11:26 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I didn't notice from your previous post that you're in Las Vegas. Definitely the seasons are not the same as in Minnesota. Some winters (though not this coming one), I bug out to Las Vegas for a long weekend in January (e.g., MLK Day), just to do some road riding in the middle of the winter. There may be other candidates (Tuscon?) but for that time of year, Las Vegas is hard to beat for a quick cycling vacation. I rent a bike at McGhie's and then go up to Red Rock Canyon/Blue Diamond Rd. Some times I also join one of the bike clubs on a group ride that goes up to the gunnery range or something like that. There sure is some great riding there. And in the midst of the Minnesota winter, that little respite does wonders for my attitude.
I'm with you on that - the opportunity to ride in "warmer" temperatures and see the sun shine in the middle of winter is a treat! (Our winters are mostly grey).
Old 11-10-13, 03:37 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, the summers are miserable here but the rest of the year makes up for it. We are fortunate to have a lot of bike trails, MUPs, and dedicated bike lanes. The Blue Diamond/Red Rock Loop run is the inspiration for getting the Vita. My Bianchi is a great retro city bike and is comfy and quick-for what it is. I could do that run with it, but would be left in the dust as it has just 8 speeds..

McGhie's is a very good store, as is Las Vegas Cyclery/Escape Adventures. They do rentals too and their new place is quite impressive. Actually, most of our LBS aren't bad at all. I suspect a lot of the big cycling events and visitors are in no small part responsible for the quality of our roads, shops, and infrastructure.

Anyway, glad you like it here! (Hmmm. Maybe McGhie's has a Quick, or LV Cyclery has a Vita in their rental fleet )
Old 11-10-13, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One thing you will notice about the flat bar road bikes is the size of tire they will take vs the maximum size tire a road bike will take. My Specialized Sirrus has V-brakes and lots of room for a 32 or 35 mm tire, should I decide to put some larger ones on for a smoother ride on rough surfaces. Bar ends or different handle bars will give her more than one hand position for longer rides. Bring this subject up with the lady working with her at the shop.

or you could just get her one of these and avoid the drop bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nocom1.jpg (21.9 KB, 6 views)