Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Surprise - HIgh Blood Pressure

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-21-05, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started taking glucosamine as a supplement for my sore hip. The sore hip comes from running and walking the golf course mostly , not riding. My blood pressure has always been normal and my at rest heart rate is about 50 because of all of the riding that I do. However this year when I went in for my annual physical my blood presure was elevated to 145 over 82.

I heard that glucosamine has been known to increase blood pressure in some people. I stopped taking glucosamine and will check again in about a month. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm 52 and have never had any health concerns due in large part to the bike. At least I truly believe that.

When victory in battle is assured, time to tighten helmet strap.
Old 03-21-05, 03:55 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjlaw
I started taking glucosamine as a supplement for my sore hip. The sore hip comes from running and walking the golf course mostly , not riding. My blood pressure has always been normal and my at rest heart rate is about 50 because of all of the riding that I do. However this year when I went in for my annual physical my blood presure was elevated to 145 over 82.

I heard that glucosamine has been known to increase blood pressure in some people. I stopped taking glucosamine and will check again in about a month. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm 52 and have never had any health concerns due in large part to the bike. At least I truly believe that.
After having very low BP all of my life, typically 110/65 or lower, and often having physicians comment on same during my every six month physicals required as a professional pilot, I suddenly had pressure in the mid 150's over mid 90's. I was around 58 at the time. I have always been trim and very fit, and I tried and tried to control it sans medication, but there was little I could do. I already had little body fat, did considerable aerobic exercise, and ate a healthy diet. Begrudingly, I had to resort to medication to control it.

Good luck, I hope that it is something external that has caused it that can be dealt with. Know, however, that if you need to take medication, that modern medications (at least the ones I am on) seemingly have no side effects - at least any that I have noticed in the few years that I have had this situation.
Old 03-21-05, 07:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Very interesting. That is the first I have heard about glucosamine potentially increasing BP. I just started taking it about 3 weeks ago at the suggestion of my ortho from knee pain I was having. I have monitored my BP very carefully over the last 20 years and am on medication for it. As the result of cycling the last 4 years, my BP has now dropped and in fact at my last check-up my doctor said he wished he had my BP now.

I'll make a point to monitor my BP a little more often to see if I can see any trends and let you know. Mine could very well be offset by some other medications I take but I'm very curious to see.
Old 03-21-05, 09:22 PM
www.getafolder.com

Bikes: Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjlaw

It's unlikely that glucosamine is the culprit since hypertension is not one of its recognized adverse reactions. The BP you mention is only borderline. I would recommend going with repeat BP readings at home.

Here is one brief reference on the subject: https://www.attract.wales.nhs.uk/ques...uestion_id=677
Old 03-21-05, 10:46 PM
scofflaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I'm sorry about your elevated high blood pressure. Everything is a trade-off as we age, isn't? I have no evidence that glucosamine can elevate your blood pressure but I have no evidence that it
doesn't. Why are you taking it? You say 'sore hip'? How bad is it? this isn't a challenge. I've taken
it regularly since 1996 but then I have confirmed arthritis in both knees, (by X-ray and MRI)
And yes I have great blood pressure. I would certainly recommended that you do what makes medical
sense for you.
Old 03-22-05, 06:55 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
However this year when I went in for my annual physical my blood presure was elevated to 145 over 82.
Goodness - that is not much of an elevation. There are some of us who would kill for a regular reading of an 82 diastolic.

Your blood pressure can vary from time to time - in fact, from minute to minute. Get a good home BP monitor, and start taking it daily at the same time to develop some trend lines.

I take mine every morning - 3 times, waiting 3 minutes between reading and changing left to right to left arms - and use an excel ss to average.

No, don't disregard the 145. Just realize it may be an aberration.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-22-05 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-22-05, 10:00 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Practice long, slow exhalation and relaxation. Increase calcium intake and reduce sodium intake, if you have not already done so.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-22-05, 10:05 PM
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other medical conditions can cause HBP. Don't discount other issues even if you seem very fit. One of the fitest guys I know has diebetis and resulting HBP. Not caused from not being fit just something he was born with and found out about when he was older.
Old 03-22-05, 10:43 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My BP was EXACTLY the same as yours when I went in for a checkup with my PCP last week. Normally between 120/70 and 130/80, and is checked every time I give blood which is about every 60-90 days. What is odd is that I also have been taking a Glucosamine-chondoitin supplement for the past month or two for some mild knee pain that is cartilage-related. Thought it might help, but now... hmmm.
Old 03-25-05, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your replys. I will be checking on my blood pressure on a weekly basis. After one month I should know if the glucosamine had any effect. I know my BP is not really too high at this point but my doctor said to keep a close eye on it because this is the first time it has ever been elevated. I'll let you all know if it goes back down to where it normaly has been.

When victory in battle is assured, time to tighten helmet strap.