Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Frankenbike!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Frankenbike!

Old 03-23-05, 01:59 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Frankenbike!

Rather than go for a new bike just now, I've decided instead to build "Frankenbike" to ride until I lose enough weight to do otherwise.

My components were all chosen for durability rather than light weight. They include:

Ross "Super Grand Tour" chrome-molly frame & fork
Alex DA-22 "V-rims" with 36-spokes per wheel
Specilized "Turbo Pro Cipillini" tires at 26mm width (& up to 120 psig)
7-speed Shimano drive train
The usual brakes, bars, post, seat, pedals, etc.

This will keep me in front of my friend who just bought a Cannondale R-1000, and thinks that his expenditure has turned him into "hell-on-wheels" <G>!

If anyone has any durability suggestions to add to this machine, I'd be interested in hearing them. Obviously, since this is a temporary machine, I'm less than interested in spending any significant amount of money, but if reliability can be enhanced inexpensively, please clue me in.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 03-23-05, 04:08 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Rather than go for a new bike just now, I've decided instead to build "Frankenbike" to ride until I lose enough weight to do otherwise.

My components were all chosen for durability rather than light weight. They include:

Ross "Super Grand Tour" chrome-molly frame & fork
Alex DA-22 "V-rims" with 36-spokes per wheel
Specilized "Turbo Pro Cipillini" tires at 26mm width (& up to 120 psig)
7-speed Shimano drive train
The usual brakes, bars, post, seat, pedals, etc.

This will keep me in front of my friend who just bought a Cannondale R-1000, and thinks that his expenditure has turned him into "hell-on-wheels" <G>!

If anyone has any durability suggestions to add to this machine, I'd be interested in hearing them. Obviously, since this is a temporary machine, I'm less than interested in spending any significant amount of money, but if reliability can be enhanced inexpensively, please clue me in.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Sounds as though you have a bike that suits you, is comfortable and that you are happy with. However on 26"wheels, mainly used on the road, You might want to think of a 32 spoke rims and new hubs when you come up for new wheels. You will only be able to get an 8 speed freehub nowadays, but a spacer to enable 7 speed to be fitted can be bought, or it might be time to go to 8/9 speed cassette along with changers to suit. Mind you if you are happy with 7 speed and it is all in good condition, why change?
Old 03-23-05, 04:37 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Frankenbikes are the best kind. All of my bikes qualify, even the Bianchi (all original Campag./Modolo Italian except: SRAM chain & freewheel, SERFAS saddle, and Shimano brake levers). My Peugeots are deep in Frankenbike territory, with their Japanese drivetrains, and my mountain bike has a bizarre mix of Shimano and SunTour parts, plus a recently-acquired Brooks Team Pro saddle.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-23-05, 07:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
You will only be able to get an 8 speed freehub nowadays, but a spacer to enable 7 speed to be fitted can be bought..
That is exactly what I did. The new wheels are 700c with a Shimano 9/10 compatible freehub. I used a spacer & stuck on the 7-speed because my chain/chainwheels/derailleur/shifters were all 7. Thanks!
Old 03-23-05, 07:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
..Bianchi (all original Campag./Modolo Italian except..
I hear ya, John! I'm running a Campy front derailleur and a Shimano 600 rear, Dia-Comp brakes & levers, Sugino rings up front with Shimano hyperglide cassette in rear, Salsa Bell Lap bars with adjustable stem, Selle Italia saddle with ? seatpost... Seems that it'll all work fine, though.
Old 03-23-05, 08:05 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just remember, Frankenstein wasn't the monster, he was the doctor who created the monster. I should know I have a "gruppo" created from parts of three continents and more countries than I could begin to figure out.