Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N+2 Kestrel Evoke and TREK 2300

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-07-13, 08:08 AM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I picked up a TREK cheaply in September and installed a new compact group. While working on it a friend from another site pointed be to the 2008 Kestrel frameset being sold at an attractive price. I ended up building it too. I'm considering putting a Campy Chorus 2012 11 speed group on the Kestrel but that is a lot more $ than I would normally spend. I'll have to ride her as is for a while to see if the fit and feel is right for me. The same goes for the TREK, though it would be a lot easier to sell off. I borrowed the Rolf wheels for the Kestrel , and will probably run either my Nimble Spider or Roval wheels on it. Of course Campy would require other wheelse. The Kestrel is 10 speed / 19 lbs, the TREK 9 speed / 23 lbs. Here they are, just finished, unridden (for now).

Old 11-07-13, 08:20 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Same frame size? Looks like the fit is vastly different between the two. The Trek is awfully red.
Old 11-07-13, 02:21 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Both bikes have Bar End Shiftzinios. (That is Italian for Shifters)
Do you have a particular reason for Bar Ends? Or is it just a fetish?

Messing about with bikes is good for my health. It keeps me out of bars, and the fridge.
Old 11-07-13, 06:55 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
Same frame size? Looks like the fit is vastly different between the two. The Trek is awfully red.
I believe the TREK is 61 and the Kestrel 59. It will take some time to dial them in. A cycling friend says I have my bikes set up wrong.
Red, yes it is a bit much.

Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
Both bikes have Bar End Shiftzinios. (That is Italian for Shifters)
Do you have a particular reason for Bar Ends? Or is it just a fetish?
Messing about with bikes is good for my health. It keeps me out of bars, and the fridge.
I have yet to run into bar ends that are worn/defective but have encountered several brifters that don't work. New bar ends plus levers cost about $120 while brifters cost at least twice that much. They also shift easier when I'm wearing thick gloves. I happened to have the bar ends available. I do run Ultegra 9 and 10 speed brifters on two of my bikes. If the Kestrel turns out as nice a frameset as I expect I may spring for a new 2012/3 Chorus 11 speed group and a new Campy wheelset. That will include brifters and a lot of CF.
I've built a couple Kestrel frames, one a 200ci and another a TT frame. The road bike was awesome but it was a bit small and I had a buyer. The TT turned out fine but it wasn't better than my Miyata old school carbon fiber bike that also had bull horn and aero bars. I sold that Kestrel at a slight loss.

Last edited by robtown; 11-07-13 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 07:20 PM
mkane77g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Evoke is one stiff bike. Had one, sold it. Wife still rides hers but she's a bit younger.