Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding with A-Fib?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-14-13, 04:05 PM
Kidd69
Payback is hell

Bikes: Orbea Orca Cannondale, Lemond, Specialized, Colnago, Brady(Franklin) Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 62 years old I have ridden since the age of 3. I raced from early 20's till age 48. I rode tandem with the wife till age 50. I then got off the bike for till recently. I gained tons of weight and felt terrible. I began to have problems with A Fib last year. Christmas I started on Fitness Pal and began to ride again. I've lost 65 lbs so far feel better. I had a bad experience on the bike in July. No A Fib since December 2012. I was on a weekly group ride and started feeling badly. I stop for a break and passed out. Went to the er and it was bad afib again. I was set for cardio version and I went back to normal rythmn on my own. I then began to go in and out and finally I stayed till I had an ablasion procedure, which worked for 24 hours and back to a fib. I had cardio version four days after and was not able to convert. I waited for four weeks and had another cardio version and worked for three days and back to a fib. I had another cardio version last friday and I have felt great till yesterday and on my daily ride i went back into A Fib. I still ride but the heart rate is high and stamina minimal. I know there has got to be a way to fix this or some kind of help. I love riding and I don't want to ever stop again.
Old 11-14-13, 06:37 PM
jeromephone

Bikes: Scott CR1 Comp

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went almost a year after ablation and then went back into afib. They put me on a beta blocker and blood thinner. I do not have as much energy as I did before but the Doc told me to keep riding ( I only do about 15 miles at a time and have been off for the last couple of months due to weather) My sister got me a book from Johns Hopkins about Afib pretty good general reference. My doc seems to say that it is either something to be really worried about and to take aggressive action or in my case he thinks the risks of more abalation outweigh the benefits. Time will tell. I am trying to eliminate some of the major stresses in my life first. i just feel I need to get workout and within reason increase my milage/speed and overall fitness.
Old 11-14-13, 06:58 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Use the search function for "afib". You will find several threads. A number of people have posted their experience.
Old 11-14-13, 07:06 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires; Trek/Electra Townie Mega E bike.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 32 Posts
A fib is so complex that it has become a sub specialty of cardiology. You might seek one out.

Interestingly, sometimes the most fit are at higher risk of a fib.

You might check out Dr. John Mandrola's web site. He's gotten too partisan for me, so I don't enjoy his writing, but he knows his stuff. He specializes in a fib.

Old 11-14-13, 08:22 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not uncommon to have a follow up procedure soon after your initial one. I think about 30 or 40% of people that have an ablation need a touch up. Also, in some cases afib still occurs for two or three months then fades away. There is inflammation in the heart and outer sac following the ablation. Everyone is a little different and, as mentioned above afib is complex.

I had afib for 9 years, and it had reached the point that I was almost constantly in afib (very irregular beating). I was miserable. I had the ablation done by this doctor and have been free (for all practical purposes) ever since. My heart rate seems high at times, and there are times it wants to go into afib but doesn't. For instance, when I lay down on my left side it tries to go into afib, but never quite makes it. After a minute or so it settles down and is normal. It no longer ever goes into that death spiral irregular beat.

I can ride and work out all I want without having any issues....and I ride hard. My heart feels best when its working overtime.
Old 11-14-13, 09:56 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 28 Posts
I've had AFib for about 4 years but nothing as serious as described here. I can tell when it starts (which is not common, I'm told). I've been on Flecainide for about 3 years and that seems to control it pretty well. I have instances of it once every couple of months and they never last more than a few hours. Drinking a very cold liquid after a hot ride can trigger it. Haven't considered ablation yet. My cardiologist tells me not to do anything different. I have managed a couple of European bike tours and century rides without issues. My main concern is the increased risk of stroke but I am told you have to have very long bouts of it for that to be an issue.

Another cyclist I know had it worse and had ablation but he still gets it. He still rides anyway.
Old 11-15-13, 06:03 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 391 Posts
I've had Afib for 20+ years. Mine seems more manageable than your and others. I take a blocker and avoid caffeine. I have seen signs of it more lately..........I'm wondering if for me it is a sign of some poor eating and drinking habits.
Old 11-15-13, 08:15 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
AFib for a full year 24/7 never ever stopped. Ablation by Dr. Natale 8 years ago (I just turned 74yo), total NSR since then, I take no meds except 1 ASA daily.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-15-13 at 10:51 PM.