Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Went back to my roots & used a handlebar bag

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I haven't had much time to ride lately - work will do that. But on Veteran's Day I was able to get out for most of the day, and it was a joy. The thing that made it such a joy is that I was able to get back to my roots. When I first started riding in my early 20s I didn't really think about what kind of riding, or what kind of cyclist I'd be. I just got on a bike and rode. Within a short time I was taking 40 to 60 mile rides every weekend and doing three or four centuries a year. By the time I married in my mid-twenties, I was doing one or two centuries per month. Most of them were unsupported unorganized rides. I just went out and put on the miles. During all of those years I always had a handlebar bag on the bike. I never thought about it making me a Fred or how much it weighed. It just allowed me to take things with me that I wanted during 5 to 7 hours on a bike. However, over the years, I've migrated toward thinking about bike frame materials, weight, spoke count, aero advantages, etc.. In some ways I've allowed myself to lose touch with the pure simple fun of being out in the world and able to travel about under your own power.

Well, on Monday, I did the unthinkable. I put a handlebar bag on my Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel Titanium (IF CJ) bike and went for a 7 hour ride. As soon as I pushed down on the pedal to launch myself out of my driveway I was smiling at seeing that bag there. I can't really say what it was, but it just felt right to look down and see the bag and not the front wheel. I was thinking it strange that something so simple would be such an unexpected pleasurable experience. Well, as the ride went on, I dug out my fig bars, took my windbreaker off and put it in the bag, all without stopping. That's when it came back to me how much easier it seems to deal with "stuff" when it's right in front of you instead of in a rear bag or jersey pockets.

Since the bag I used was borrowed, I had to return it later that week. But I've ordered one and it should be delivered today. I think the first thing I'll do (after letting the dog out) when I get home is mount that bag. Of course I'll have to figure out how to deal with mounting lights given I'm riding in the dark these days when I can get out. But, I'm sure there are solutions for this. As a side note, the IF CJ handled beautifully with the bag. In fact, the handling sensation was very similar to how I remember my "best" bikes handling in earlier years. That small amount of extra weight does give a different feel.

I suspect some of you are thinking, "Duh. Of course a handlebar bag makes sense." Others may be thinking, "I would never do that." And, I'm not trying to convert anyone or make a judgment about anyone's preferences. I'm just taking the time to share a very nice and surprising biking moment for me.
Old 11-15-13, 08:36 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow makes me want to get one.

Charlie
Old 11-15-13, 08:42 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
This made me remember the Kirtland handlebar bag I had in the early 80's on my Motobecane Jubile Sport. It was much like you described in being able to do things on the go and the clear plastic map sleeve on top was a nice feature back before the GPS slavery movement. A simple device that looped under the quill stem and projected two arms forward that slipped into sleeves on the sides of the bag. Secured by a simple Velcro fastener set up, no lines down to the fork were necessary. Had a good volume and I seem to remember it not being noticeable as far as the bike handling. I did take care in just how much I put in it as it could make the steering a bit heavy, easily. This is a good memory for me too, Thanks NOS.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-15-13, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I had a C-dale handlebar bag back in the day, had it for a long time. It had the metal thing that looped around the stem and bars. It did com in handy. My wife still uses one, she loves it. She can stash her camera, and its protected but easy to access when she wants it. For me though, I try to carry less stuff. When I have more room, I tend to put stuff in 'just in case'.
BTW, the bike I used the bag on still has the scratches on the bars from the mount. Seeing them reminds me of all the good time with that bike.
Old 11-15-13, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I've always considered handlebar bags as the mark of someone who puts in serious mileage, such as touring cyclists.

I think the most underrated bit of cycling equipment are handlebar baskets, BTW.

Old 11-15-13, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Have heard that "one can never go back" but you certainly have and that's pretty cool.

Had C-dale front bags and panniers also on our bikes along with The Bugger behind mine for our two kids. Customized the Bugger with Phil hubs, wheel guards, roll bar, tool box mounted under seat, rain cover. Yup, those were some good times.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I've always considered handlebar bags as the mark of someone who puts in serious mileage, such as touring cyclists.

I think the most underrated bit of cycling equipment are handlebar baskets, BTW.
Have a QR basket with handle on the grocery grabber so I can take it in the store and use it for shopping. Putting a gallon of milk along with 3lbs of apples most certainly messes with the steering.
Old 11-15-13, 10:54 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You have inspired me to dig out my Baggins Candy Bar bag from storage and mount it on my rather "Bobish" Salsa Casseroll.

Baggins Candybar Bag 1 by Spiral Cage, on Flickr
Old 11-15-13, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess I didn't realize a handlebar bag wasn't cool. I added one to my Revel early on because I couldn't figure out anyplace else to carry water and other stuff. In fact I bought one from REI which isn't big enough so I'm looking for another.

Whatever it takes to have fun; unless someone wants to pay me to do something else; and then I might say "No".
Old 11-15-13, 11:29 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
They Good...

Old 11-15-13, 11:37 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
Heard in a local airport:

Valet: "Sir, can I carry your bag?"
Sir: "Naw, let her walk."

Seriously, I have a handlebar bag. I usually use it in cold weather rides when I want to store more clothes, but they're good for cameras ans the like too.

Old 11-15-13, 11:50 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
You have inspired me to dig out my Baggins Candy Bar bag from storage and mount it on my rather "Bobish" Salsa Casseroll.

Baggins Candybar Bag 1 by Spiral Cage, on Flickr
Classic bag, got to get one with character like that bag!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-15-13, 01:05 PM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
You mean like this: My touring bike back in the day. I wish now I hadn't sold it back in Maine. Many, many trips to the Vineyard camping. Oh well TOO old to sleep on the ground anymore..
Old 11-15-13, 02:42 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Of course I'll have to figure out how to deal with mounting lights given I'm riding in the dark these days when I can get out.
Complete the ensmble with a dynamo hub and fork crown mounted light.

If you seldom exceed 18-20 mph, or ride mainly in civilization, or use a USB chargable device (GPS, phone, i-thing) when you ride, go for the B&M Luxos U. It has a nice DRL mode too. If you frequently ride over 20 mph and do it in the sticks, the Schmidt Edelux is the better bet. (I own both.) Use the Problem Solvers Stick-on Hose Guides to run the wire up the inside of the fork leg.
Old 11-15-13, 04:32 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Of course I'll have to figure out how to deal with mounting lights given I'm riding in the dark these days when I can get out.

These work well.

https://dx.com/p/t-type-bicycle-bike-...on-mount-68565

Old 11-15-13, 04:36 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
I ran into the same problem with respect to aerobars ... and ended up buying an Exposure Diablo helmet lamp.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ex...Y0NhdDEwMDM5MQ

Amazing, rock solid dependable light. On the low setting (perfectly adequate to see) it will go for 24 hours. And I've seen it for as little as $175.

Those B&M lights look interesting too.

Oy, I've got a light fetish.

Old 11-15-13, 06:13 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
DowntasTTer,
Beautiful Pug and C'Dale set up, I always liked the panniers they made, I had a set my wife gave me for Christmas 1980. I wish I had never sold them, they just work so well and look nice when on the bike. Yours looked fantastic on your bike.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-16-13, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I added a Minora mount underneath the stem for my lights so I can use me bag at the same time.
https://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup....FSNp7AodCXQAIA

Last edited by curly666; 01-17-17 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 08:30 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5459 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
One of these is currently attached to the handlebars of my Specialized Rockhopper. This is my off-road bike. I don't care that other's see a 50-something geezer riding singletrack wearing bluejeans, with this walmart bag on his bike. They'll be lucky if they can do the same when they get to my age.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Road-...ingMethod=p13n
Old 11-16-13, 09:53 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 602 Posts
It feels strange to me to ride a bike without a handlebar bag, I have to have a place for my "stuff" even when I have no stuff to need a place for. One of my current builds will have brake interrupter levers so no handlebar bag for it. It's getting a Brooks B17 though, I can hang an old school tool bag off the back of the Brooks.
Old 11-17-13, 08:06 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
NOS, you are spot on about HBs. I've always ridden with one. The right size bag can carry lunch, wallet, cell phone. It can absorb the fleece jacket you have to remove.

The hard part now is finding a good one, one that doesn't need a heavy or ugly clamp. All the cheap (though light) bags are supported from only the back, as if the front somehow magically holds itself up with no visible means of support.

That one above is supported by straps from the hoods, not by a clamp on the stem. I have three like that and wish I had a few more, but they aren't made now. Dill Pickle Bags (Emily O'Brien) now offers what looks like a good one, but they are expensive so I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.
Old 11-17-13, 08:25 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I put a handlebar bag on my Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel Titanium (IF CJ) bike and went for a 7 hour ride.
Makes sense to me, a 7 hour ride in the Fall requires more kit than a pootle around the block or a brief brisk ride.
I still have a Kirtland HB bag that sees Farmer's Mkt. duty on my town bike and have just added an Arkel HB bag that can shift from Rando-ish bike to my CF for long days.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Arkel_sml.gif (21.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-17-13, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I signed up for the two centuries last spring, April 21 & May 11, I got a Banjo Brothers medium handlebar bag. I'm seriously considering putting it back on for this winter.

https://banjobrothers.com/products/cu...lebar-bag-med/

Old 11-17-13, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There are around 10 handlebar bags in the household. Two MECs get the most use, one on each of our bikes. But I also have a Topeak pod that is proving to be extremely handy for small stuff on the fast roadies. Only one is truly waterproof.

I like the MEC design because the mounting system is very solid. The bag itself slides on to two prongs and is held in place by velcro closures. The only thing that would make the bag better would be waterproofness, but we picked up some covers that seem to work quite well.

The very first front bag I had wasn't exactly a handlebar bag. It was a cooler bag, cheap, that I mounted on a flat-top front rack. It was waterproof and roomy.
Old 11-18-13, 07:13 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have a small bag that is just the size to put my jacket in. I like it and others opinions on it are moot!
Old 11-18-13, 07:31 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've toured many miles with a front handlebar bag. Having a plastic map case is pretty handy when riding on roads you are not familiar with. This thread might just motivate me to get another one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.