Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ job hunters - any success with new format resume?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ job hunters - any success with new format resume?

Old 11-23-13, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
My son whom is not over 50(thank God) just was hired after a 10 month search.He tried all kinds of resumes,cover letters etc. He knows 2 HR managers and they wrote 2 different style resumes for him.He took a resume class,hired a resume writer.Nothing but an offer in Europe and another between Maryland and Germany.He landed a good job by a recommendation from an employee of a former employer.They keep in touch over the internet. He was dismissed from his last job for refusing a transfer to another state.In NJ one cannot collect unemployment for refusing a transfer.So no one is happier than the bank of dad.Here is the crazy part.He was accepted and given material to learn about the company and product.After 2 days he was told he failed a backround check.He was told to contact the investigating company to see what the problem was.He does so and is informed he has to wait 5 working days for the report.After 4 days the CFO calls and says you start Nov 4.He starts the job and no one ever brought up the backround check.
ha! networking! of course!

oh btw, I'll be on the garden state next week. it's been a few years. any tips for the section between the tappan zee and westfield?
Old 11-23-13, 08:59 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
My last period of unemplyment was almost two years at the height of the collapse of '08. Nothing worked until I got a call from an old college buddy who wanted to know if I knew an engineer looking for work. I heard a radio story where Linkedin is overtaking Monster.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 11-26-13 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 03:34 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Similar to Commute, I was out of work from 2009 to mid-2011. (Plus I'm out of work now.) I got a job (at 58 yo) as an engineer in a new field, ISO26262 Automotive Functional Safety, because I told the recruiter I had a history of taking on new technologies and was skilled in systems engineering, electronic throttle control, collision avoidance technology, and automotive electronics (all true and supported by my resume). I got a job that I kept for two years. I just left the job after that, and I'm still begin told by the outplacement people that resumes need to support your value proposition to the new employer. Employer is not really interested in "what did RF do in 1987?" but "what does RF say he can offer me now, why do I need it, and considering his resume and other info does he seem to be representing himself accurately?" If that involves providing some information dating back to the beginning of my career, then I should put some of that on my resume.

Commute commando, regarding Linked-in, I just heard the same perspective on Linked-in at my outplacement seminar yesterday. The importance of good networking is much more than it used to be, as well.

Last edited by Road Fan; 11-23-13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
ha! networking! of course!

oh btw, I'll be on the garden state next week. it's been a few years. any tips for the section between the tappan zee and westfield?
Stay on 287, about 10 miles get on the Garden state parkway south follow to the clark westfield exit 135,stay to the right down the ramp.This is central ave clark and it will take you to Westfield.The Garden State Parkway is a toll- ez pass road.
Old 11-24-13, 07:46 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

ok thanks sounds easy enough
Old 11-26-13, 11:58 AM
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of threads here with real-world advice:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/sea...rchid=48706197

Good luck.

S
Old 11-26-13, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slackerprince
A lot of threads here with real-world advice:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/sea...rchid=48706197

Good luck.

S
can't access that thread/post need to be a member? what kind of forum is that?
Old 11-26-13, 04:11 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Employer is not really interested in "what did RF do in 1987?" but "what does RF say he can offer me now, why do I need it, and considering his resume and other info does he seem to be representing himself accurately
I got out of the service in 1979. I had trained at "Engineman A school" at Great Lakes Naval Training Center. That training included diesel mechanics, pumps, valves and piping maintenance. When I got out, I was able to transfer those skills to work in chemical process technician.

The key thing is not having a specific set of skills, but being able to apply syntheses to what you know. The more you know, even about seemingly unrelated things, the better you will be able to adapt.

One of many jobs I had was teaching CAD drafting at a well known chain store diploma mill. Some of those students were talented and I know of a couple who succeeded pretty well. Those were the ones who could synthesize. A lot of others wanted me to teach them how to use the software to draw nice pictures, and don't bore them with details like data structure, command scripting, and descriptive geometry (Think of it more as a well structured graphic database than a drawing).

The "counselors" (high pressure sales people really) liked to tell prospective students that these skills were applicable to working for Pixar and Disney. Almost total BS. Still many students, it seemed like a majority, only wanted me to show them the "Micky Mouse" icon so they could make the "big bucks" working for "The Mouse". I know of one who got a job at a special effects company, building anamatronics for Universal Studios tours. I was shown his resume and OK'ed it. He was one of the good ones I remembered.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 11-27-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-26-13, 04:59 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
ok thanks sounds easy enough
Keep in mind half of us are on cell phones,the other half is texting.The youngsters weave in and out of traffic like Mario Andretti.The adults change lanes then use the directional signal.If you dare to drive in the left lane a vehicle capable of 125 mph is necessary.Don't worry if you get lost most of us carry maps available for 10 bucks.Enjoy your stay!
Old 11-27-13, 08:46 AM

anyone have thoughts on submitting "application" and resume using online interfaces? personally I think it stinks. I no longer do so with blind employers, meaning if they don't show the company name, I'm not sending my personal information.
Old 11-27-13, 10:05 AM

anyone have thoughts on submitting "application" and resume using online interfaces? personally I think it stinks. I no longer do so with blind employers, meaning if they don't show the company name, I'm not sending my personal information.
Very often these are phishing sites, as are the numerous pieces of spam I get from "recruiters".
Old 11-28-13, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

My job search company does not recommend giving your resume to anyone who might send it to places you don't know about. First, resumes should be focused to the position you are seeking, which means we should write them based on a specific job description or hiring requisition. If your name is on something they get that is written for a different job, there might be information on them that could be interpreted as not in agreement with what you need to tell them. While not an out and out contradiction, it could result in a discussion where you are put on the defensive, wasting valuable interview time or taking you off the short list of desired applicants.

Also your key words, which are recognized by a computerized text scanner, might be taken to mean things you don't intend. A number of years ago I worked on a huge construction project of a scientific research facility. My job was to engineer the installation of the technical systems (the ones associated with doing the science the facility was designed for) to be consistent with the facility electrical, physical layout, and support systems. I was to define the resources the site and facility design offered and integrate those characteristics with the needs of the technical electrical and electronics. Any conflicts or inadequacies were my true design problems to solve.

After this job was over I put this history on a resume, and got a lot of calls for "Site Electrical Engineer," meaning I would be responsible for proper installation of wall outlets and HVAC electrical at small construction sites. As a former engineer of space vehicle power systems (solar array, nuclear, et cetera), this was a grave mismatch of my skills to the job requisitions. Lost a lot of time making explanations, issuing corrected resumes, and finding out which recruiters and job shops had uploaded my papers without my release.

No real danger in my opinion, but a lot of wasted time dealing with unforeseen consequences.

After not much more time, I was brought in by Ford to design small position control systems, so it ended up well.

But you can really lose control over your information.
Old 11-28-13, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I got out of the service in 1979. I had trained at "Engineman A school" at Great Lakes Naval Training Center. That training included diesel mechanics, pumps, valves and piping maintenance. When I got out, I was able to transfer those skills to work in chemical process technician.

The key thing is not having a specific set of skills, but being able to apply syntheses to what you know. The more you know, even about seemingly unrelated things, the better you will be able to adapt.

One of many jobs I had was teaching CAD drafting at a well known chain store diploma mill. Some of those students were talented and I know of a couple who succeeded pretty well. Those were the ones who could synthesize. A lot of others wanted me to teach them how to use the software to draw nice pictures, and don't bore them with details like data structure, command scripting, and descriptive geometry (Think of it more as a well structured graphic database than a drawing).

The "counselors" (high pressure sales people really) liked to tell prospective students that these skills were applicable to working for Pixar and Disney. Almost total BS. Still many students, it seemed like a majority, only wanted me to show them the "Micky Mouse" icon so they could make the "big bucks" working for "The Mouse". I know of one who got a job at a special effects company, building anamatronics for Universal Studios tours. I was shown his resume and OK'ed it. He was one of the good ones I remembered.
I think you're trying to illustrate how the arc of your career helps to show your basis for job qualification, how you have applied synthesis to the tasks of your various jobs to use your core and transferable skills in a wide variety of job situations.
Old 11-28-13, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
Just submit an application and a short cover letter.
I took this approach once when I was an enthusiastic young buck with lots of potential. I was applying for a job that I saw as a "training opportunity" and was not qualified for.

The chairman of the selection panel phoned me the day before they were to interview and said without a resume, they had no reason to interview me so fax him one. I sent in a resume that was more "potential" than "performance". I was interviewed. But I was only 30 years old. I don't think a fogey over 50 cull pull that stunt.
Old 11-28-13, 05:14 PM

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Having done a fair amount of hiring, I know the information I want. Various resume formats might make it easier or more difficult to get that information but don't really affect my assessment unless it makes it too difficult to bother with. The first thing I look for is fundamental compatible knowledge/experience and then longevity at jobs. They need to have worked at a few places long enough to have been successful. Given that, I look at more detailed information.
Old 12-02-13, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think you're trying to illustrate how the arc of your career helps to show your basis for job qualification, how you have applied synthesis to the tasks of your various jobs to use your core and transferable skills in a wide variety of job situations.
Pretty much. The unfortunate part is that in the days of HR 'bots, this stuff gets ignored. Even a lot of Personel people know very little about the positions they are trying to fill. I was applying for a position in product development and my resume sites injection mold making experience. The nice lady at the placement agency said that they were looking for someone with machine shop experience, but she would see what she could do. It took me five minutes of trying to explain to her that mold making involved mastery of the machinist trade. After she finally claimed to understand, she said "but they're still looking for someone knows something about C and C milling machines" (It's CNC -Computer Numerical Control-btw)

Keywords Luke, use the Keywords. I had put CNC machine tools, but now put C and C, C&C, Milling machine, Lathe, Surface grinder and a bunch of others.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
doh.gif (424 Bytes, 50 views)

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 12-02-13 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 09:49 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I used to be a programmer/analyst and project leader (before programmers became the pretentiously-named 'software engineers'). No one cares. At a certain age, you need work - i.e. income. It's hard, but once you swallow your pride, 'adjust' your resume, and land that first low-wage job you open up a whole new world for yourself. No more knocking your head against a wall competing against youngsters for those six jobs available in your field in the entire country. Suddenly you enter a vast sunny playground with thousands of jobs and employers who just want someone who will show up on time, work hard, and not steal from the company. Actually, the jobs aren't necessarily low-wage, a lot of them are physical, and you can have a lot of fun applying all sorts of skills you've picked up over the years.
Old 12-02-13, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
I used to be a programmer/analyst and project leader (before programmers became the pretentiously-named 'software engineers'). No one cares. At a certain age, you need work - i.e. income. It's hard, but once you swallow your pride, 'adjust' your resume, and land that first low-wage job you open up a whole new world for yourself. No more knocking your head against a wall competing against youngsters for those six jobs available in your field in the entire country. Suddenly you enter a vast sunny playground with thousands of jobs and employers who just want someone who will show up on time, work hard, and not steal from the company. Actually, the jobs aren't necessarily low-wage, a lot of them are physical, and you can have a lot of fun applying all sorts of skills you've picked up over the years.
Been there, got the T-shirt, gave up on being a P/A wages are half what they were a decade age, with twice the pressure, and 5 times the competition.... Lots of guys give up that career in their 40's, which is something I wish they told us when we graduated....
Old 12-02-13, 12:26 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I'm about to start looking for a 'retirement job' since I retired from the Post Office this past year. I originally started at the PO as a job to make money so I could go back to school, but like the commercial says, 'Life comes at you fast'. I never did finish my college education (2-1/2 years of Mechanical Engineering) because I liked the 'easy money' and security of the PO, and of course I had started dating, and liking toys like cars and motorcycles...

Anyway, I have a lifetime of practical work experiences and knowledge, but that is not something you can put easily down in resume form. On the minus side, I'm not up to speed on MS Office like I should be if I want an engineering tech position. I'm thinking of taking some classes at the community college to beef that capability a bit.

I'm 55 now, and I would like to work another seven-ten years, but I don't know where... Wife's job is secure (for the immediate future) so that means I have to say in the area... And Cleveland is a dying city...
Old 12-02-13, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I'm about to start looking for a 'retirement job' since I retired from the Post Office this past year. I originally started at the PO as a job to make money so I could go back to school, but like the commercial says, 'Life comes at you fast'. I never did finish my college education (2-1/2 years of Mechanical Engineering) because I liked the 'easy money' and security of the PO, and of course I had started dating, and liking toys like cars and motorcycles...

Anyway, I have a lifetime of practical work experiences and knowledge, but that is not something you can put easily down in resume form. On the minus side, I'm not up to speed on MS Office like I should be if I want an engineering tech position. I'm thinking of taking some classes at the community college to beef that capability a bit.

I'm 55 now, and I would like to work another seven-ten years, but I don't know where... Wife's job is secure (for the immediate future) so that means I have to say in the area... And Cleveland is a dying city...
I suggest learning Solidworks, and avoiding the for-profit tech schools to do it. I used to teach at one and the public community colleges do just as good, and sometimes even better job for a lot less money. I did my lower division college work at a public CC, and taught at a for profit until my conscience made me leave.
Old 12-02-13, 07:10 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Me too. Former IT.

Once upon a time we were called "systems analysts" in the "data processing department". My specialty was online transaction systems. You know all that fancy package tracking UPS, FedEx and everyone has now? The systems I wrote for a trucking company did that in 1985. Of course, you had to dial-in on a 2400 baud modem. Security was a lot easier then too.

Anyway, having lines in my glasses and competing against pimply-faced youths is how I ended up at the library. Best job, best employer, best bosses, best co-workers I've ever had.
Old 12-02-13, 10:12 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Once upon a time we were called "systems analysts" in the "data processing department". My specialty was online transaction systems. You know all that fancy package tracking UPS, FedEx and everyone has now? The systems I wrote for a trucking company did that in 1985. Of course, you had to dial-in on a 2400 baud modem. Security was a lot easier then too.
Nice to meet you! Same here - online transaction systems at banks and airlines where only assembler was fast enough, designing grown-up systems that did real work like tracking cargo, crew scheduling, fare calculation etc. A lot of the projects today are juvenile, like asking an engineer who designed bridges and transmission towers to design toys for Happy Meals.
Old 12-04-13, 02:17 PM
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Me too. Former IT.

Anyway, having lines in my glasses and competing against pimply-faced youths is how I ended up at the library. Best job, best employer, best bosses, best co-workers I've ever had.
That is very commendable of you TSL. It is inspiring to me. I am in my mid 50's now in electrical controls engineering and feeling the same stresses. I am seriously thinking of going to work at a library too for peace of mind and I might live a little longer. Or maybe Home Depot???? LOL.
Old 12-04-13, 03:23 PM

I did 3 years at Home Depot. needed something extra to pay for my apartment during our separation. then went almost full-time while between FT jobs, then back to part-time for a couple more years. just gave it up cuz we patched things up @home (after lots of duct tape and tap dancing) and wifey went full-time. rough few years to say the least. anyway HD was always there for me, great place to work, great fellow associates, most of which have other FT jobs. was in Lumber & Building Materials and it was a challenge to keep up with the 20 somethings. they used to kid me but I kicked butt so we all got along just peachy. it was refreshing to have a gig that was low stress, albeit retail hourly work. I would recommend HD 1000%!
Old 12-04-13, 06:42 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
I am seriously thinking of going to work at a library too for peace of mind
While public libraries work all about the same, keep in mind they're run by some level of municipal government. It's a good news/bad news thing.

The good news is that there's likely a govenment pension, probably a union with possible beneifts there too. With the exception of the occassional nutjob, you're treated decently by everyone. Most patrons are there because they want to be there, which helps a lot.

The bad news is that we're one of the departments that municipalities frequently cut first when there are budget problems. And if your local government is dysfunctional, your library management is also likely to be.

Civil service can be a good news/bad news thing too. I like the stability that the rules provide WRT protection from changes in the political winds, and management winds. For instance, just because you're in the wrong party, a politician can't fire you. OTOH it can certainly lead to rigidity, calcification, and a place for those with poor work ethics to hide--the stereotypical problems cited by opponents of the civil service system.

Librarians require a Masters of Library Science (MLS) degree. Most places, it's a one-year program if you're a full-time student and already have a bachelor's. Right now, there are more librarians looking for jobs than there are available positions. Because of this, in my city, we can require 100% on the civil service test and very high minimum GPAs for new grads. And we're still inundated with applicants. (This explains why we can pretty much ignore resumes and concentrate on personality. They don't get on the civil service list unless the standards are met.)

Fortunately, there are many jobs at the library that don't require an MLS, and conveniently, have fewer people applying for them. I don't have an MLS. I'm a clerk at the circ desk. Pages put away books. Library aides and assistant duties vary by library. We have dedicated youth services workers to keep the teens occupied and directed away from the problems of our 'hood. There are lots of behind the scenes, non-public-facing jobs at larger libraries and central libraries. For instance, someone has to put all those plastic covers, stickers, security strips, and such on books and DVDs. (Learn the lingo: It's called "processing".)

We're not all about books any more. Most questions we get deal with computers. The public-access computers and our free wi-fi are major sources of our door count. What we circ most are DVDs--at my branch, easily by a factor of 2:1 or 3:1 over books. This of course varies by library.

Finally, don't be surprised to find that most of the jobs at your library are part-time. In my city, at the neighborhood branches, only the site supervisor (a Librarian II or higher) is full-time. Everyone else in our branches is part-time. For me, that was the attraction--a part-time job, that pays well.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by tsl; 12-04-13 at 06:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.