Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Tired of getting hurt (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/923706-tired-getting-hurt.html)

Steve B. 11-25-13 06:29 PM

Tired of getting hurt

But not THAT tired !

I know you older folks will understand...

I hit a leaf covered stump today while mt. biking, which yanked the wheel hard to the left and ejected me onto the trail. It was about 20 degrees out so the single track is rock hard. Scrapped my right knee up bad, but didn't do any other damage.

It's Mt. biking season here on Long Island, great when it's 20 to 40 degrees out and you don't have the motivation to road ride. Thus we're in the woods till mud season sets in sometime in late Dec. or January.

Trouble is I was riding alone today so now my wife is a bit pissed, especially as she's aware that of the past 8 mt. bike rides this season, I've 1) Banged my head hard on an overhanging tree limb. That was a result of wanting to use the helmet visor that I usually leave off, so as to be able to see the trial better on the morning rides. I didn't see the limb I otherwise duck under The hit dented the helmet and gave me a stinger, so I was dizzy for a little bit. My riding buddy rode with me back to the car. I was fine after. Then 2) I catch a root or branch a weekend later, punctured the right shoe, cut the foot and possibly dislocated the middle toe. That needed an x-ray at the orthopedist as I could barely walk two days after. It still hurts but I've been able to ride. Then I fall today. Knee really looks like crap and hurts but I can't SAY that !.
Now the right knee and right foot hurt. That's annoying.

A younger riding buddy reminded me last week "Ya' know, you're pushing 60 (I'm 58) I berated him loudly at the time. Not so much today when I told him about my knee.

I'm stubborn and will be damned if I'm going to "take it easy". That means going to the mall or on a hike or something. Jeez.

I will leave start leaving more detailed information as to where I'm riding, where the car is parked, etc.....

eja_ bottecchia 11-25-13 06:40 PM

It happens...just let her know where you are and she will feel less stressed out. I can totally understand her concerns.

The road ID people have a great tracking app. You can use it if you have a smart phone.

Carbonfiberboy 11-25-13 07:55 PM

Yah, so I'm in a LBS, talking to a clerky guy about something, and I notice his fingers are kind of bent and knobby. So I ask what happened to his hands. He says, well, I'm a mountain biker. I say, So? And he says, so far I've broken 203 bones. And I say, there aren't that many bones in your body. And he says, well, I've broken a few more than once.

So stop riding MTB. That'll fix it. It is said that mountain bikers are physical and road riders are mental. Get mental.

BluesDawg 11-25-13 07:59 PM

Be more careful?

qcpmsame 11-25-13 08:14 PM

Man Steve, I know chicks dig scars and all that stuff:eek:, but dang:notamused:.................. Maybe it is time to rethink some of your execution when riding (no pun or encouragement intended there.) Good thought to leave better location information and such when you are riding. As the shift sergeant on Hill Street Blues always said after roll call, "Let's be careful out there people" or something like that!

:rolleyes:Crap who am I kidding scolding you:innocent:, I raced Motocross until 2009 and the surgeon cut that out for me (anyone want to buy a very cherry 2002 Yamaha YZ 426F, excellently maintained............ ) or how about a back brace custom made and fitted, or a bunch of sterile gauze, swabs, or slightly used crutches.

Bill

spokes5678 11-25-13 08:59 PM

If you quit you're old...............
Just kidding, 65 here, broke ankle, ribs,hand mtb'ing.
I quit racing about age 60 enjoyed every minute of it though.
From the numerous bailouts ( voluntary and involuntary ) onto my right hip some arthritis has set up
there and in the knees, I'll need a new hip soon.
It's not if you're going to crash but when.
I still ride and enjoy mtb but without the pressure of racing the speed's lower the crashes are less and the wife's happier.

BlazingPedals 11-25-13 09:09 PM

You've discovered a few of the reasons why I gave up mountain biking. :(

ModeratedUser150120149 11-25-13 09:18 PM

Now that you've gotten that rant out of your system........

RobertL 11-26-13 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 16278238)
I raced Motocross until 2009 and the surgeon cut that out for me (anyone want to buy a very cherry 2002 Yamaha YZ 426F, excellently maintained............ ) or how about a back brace custom made and fitted, or a bunch of sterile gauze, swabs, or slightly used crutches.

Bill

I'm impressed! From your recent birthday post I think you're about a year younger than I am. If my math is working at this hour you were motocross racing on a Yamaha YZ 426F at about 53 years old. Well done. I remember rassling my 1976 Yamaha 400 Enduro around and even as a young fellow it was some work.

Retro Grouch 11-26-13 05:02 AM

I understand. I've certainly had my share.

I'm pretty much back to where I can ride again without too much anxiety but it's taken me 5 years and sessions with a psychologist.

qcpmsame 11-26-13 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by RobertL (Post 16278895)
I'm impressed! From your recent birthday post I think you're about a year younger than I am. If my math is working at this hour you were motocross racing on a Yamaha YZ 426F at about 53 years old. Well done. I remember rassling my 1976 Yamaha 400 Enduro around and even as a young fellow it was some work.

Correct, I took a lot of grief from some people because the last 10 years were in between 16 major surgeries, not MX or bicycle related. I survived it all and I'm still kicking and screaming.

Bill

bruce19 11-26-13 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is why I was never drawn to MTB. Then again I celebrated by 60th birthday (almost 8 yrs ago) by racing my Ducati against a Porsche Carrera. Hit 140 mph and shut it down. I was pretty far ahead at that point. So, who am I to judge one's passion? In any event, do what you do until you lose the feeling for it. You won't get old doing things you love.

rdtompki 11-26-13 06:59 AM

I'm in the market for a used mtb so this thread is timely, My intentions are to stick with fire roads and accidental single track (I've been on trails "accidentally" that I couldn't descend on horseback). At least the advantage to riding a horse is that the animal has something invested in the outcome.

Boudicca 11-26-13 07:23 AM

You mean your mountain bike does not have something invested in the outcome?

But I can sympathize with your wife's concern. My husband likes irritating things like mountain biking on empty trails in the snow, or kayaking at night. One evening, he said he'd be back around 9 from a late night kayak, and showed at 1030, by which time I was climbing the walls in worry. He walked in, beaming at his fun evening. My response: "This is a cellphone. Use it."

yodatic 11-26-13 07:35 AM

Y'all are awesome! I'm thinking Timex watch combined with "Grand Torino" ! tom Now this is just surreal, I bought a new kayak from Academy, just last Friday.

NOS88 11-26-13 07:42 AM

No one likes to see a person they love get hurt. There are times my wife cringes when she knows what I'm about to do. Taking calculated risks is always a fluid thing. What was not a significant risk 10 years ago may be one now. While I don’t like some of the changes I’ve had to make, they have allowed me to continue doing some of the things I love.

big john 11-26-13 08:27 AM

Do you have good glasses? I ride mtb better when I can see better, on the road it isn't as critical. I also get off and walk if it's too sketchy, not too proud to wuss out.
I also rode off road motorcycles for 10 years and wouldn't trade those good times for anything.

In my opinion road riding is the most dangerous thing I've done and is where I've had and seen the worst injuries.

Gallo 11-26-13 08:31 AM

so with three crashes under my belt on the MTB over the last two months I can relate.

I consider myself lucky that I still have the desire to play at 50 regardless of what happens on the trail or road

Gerryattrick 11-26-13 11:44 AM

There is a way of not getting hurt: just don't do anything with an element of risk.

OTOH you'll never be this young again so carry on doing what you enjoy.

Phil_gretz 11-26-13 12:00 PM

I'm sympathetic with Steve B's sentiments. It's tough to remain dangerously active as we get older, and to avoid pain afterward.

Steve, Isn't that the risk imtn biking now, the leaves blocking a clear view of the trail? As soon as I get some free time, I'll be finding out...

It's true that mountain biking equals crashes and falls, which equal pain and injuries. That's just how it is, but the riding is so FUN in between crashes...

Steve B. 11-26-13 06:33 PM

@ bluesdawg. I was - in theory, being careful, in that I never hammer when alone. My avg. spd is a good mph slower then when chasing buddies. Just bad luck to not see a stump buried under the leaves on a recently added trail section. Happens.

The thing about mt. biking is it's fun. Especially this time of year on Long Island when it's just too cold at 20 deg. to motivate for a solo road ride. I find road riding to be as much fun on a Sept Sunday morning when I'm moving at a good clip with a bunch of buddies who ride my tempo and there's nothing as fun as a rotating paceline at 20mph. Or a rail-trail ride someplace taking me someplace I've never been before, or pulling into the driveway on a July evening after a 25 mile bike commute home, or riding Acadia on my touring bike with those new cross tires, or....... well pretty much everything related to cycling.

Yes, I get banged up mt. biking, but I also have fun when I might otherwise be really grumpy 'cause I skipped a ride because I'm scared of falling. Part of the problem is I recently lost a friend, a 91 year old local cyclist who I really looked up to in terms of how he lived his later years, still mt. biking and taking the hits and riding hard. I hope to take it to that age, though I suspect that as Alzheimers runs in the family my rides will become more interesting as I won't have any clue where I am. And I'll be scraping my knee's up. So be it.

jyl 11-26-13 08:21 PM

There is lightweight MTB/BMX armor for every part of your body, maybe try a couple pieces - elbows and knees come to mind.

big john 11-27-13 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 16279917)

It's true that mountain biking equals crashes and falls, which equal pain and injuries. That's just how it is, but the riding is so FUN in between crashes...

I have to completely disagree with you here. It doesn't have to equal crashing. My last mtb crash was in 2007. Whe I was married I rode mtb with my wife for 10 years, nearly every weekend in snow or whatever condition and I only ever saw her fall once, and that was from ice.
I've gone on group rides of 5+ hours and nobody falls, not one time. I have a friend who was women's cat 3 state cx champion and I've never seen her fall off the bike, except during a cross race.

Use your head, stay within your abilities, don't take silly chances and you, too can keep the rubber side down.

big john 11-27-13 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jyl (Post 16281426)
There is lightweight MTB/BMX armor for every part of your body, maybe try a couple pieces - elbows and knees come to mind.

This is not a bad idea, if you are prone to rag-doll on the trail.

rumrunn6 11-27-13 08:43 AM

hey OP, you Australian?