Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Freedom 55

Old 11-29-13, 07:55 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freedom 55

Five years after qualifying to join this forum, I'm opening my parachute from work next week after a staggering 26 years. No job to go to, and I'm far from convinced that I want a full-time job to go to, although a couple of days a week would be rather nice, to stop me getting bored.

But I've got an awful lot of biking dreams, from New Zealand to the Rockies to GAP/C+O, to the new Paris-London trek. And after a cancer scare a few years back, I want to enjoy myself while I'm fit enough to do so. The buyout package definitely helped.

It's such a shame that an era when you have so much time on your hands coincides with an era where you don't have the regular pay check coming in to fund those plans.

It's also a shame that Freedom55 comes in December, when the weather is bad and getting worse, and not in March, when I can look forward to improvements. But such is life.

Any not-too-expensive tips to see me through the winter? (Please don't tell me to ride my bike -- I'm too much of a wimp for that.)
Old 11-29-13, 08:02 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Swimming, hiking, join a singing group, full-body dtrengthening, learn a new skill (skiing, ice skating, whatever).

Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-29-13, 08:06 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
'Staggering' 26 years? 45 and counting, here. You must have had a government job!
Old 11-29-13, 08:07 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Luck Boudicca. I took me 4 years or so to learn how to handle retirement in a healthy fashion.
Now I love it especially the biking and the freedom to just ride whenever I want to.

Charlie
Old 11-29-13, 08:21 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am refusing to call it retirement, Charlie. I'm too young to retire.

But then if I'm not looking for another job, what else can I call it?

And I find 26 years pretty staggering. More than a quarter of a century.
Old 11-29-13, 08:21 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
After 47 years with the same company, and being 70 I retired. And yes retirement is freedom. I describe it as the freedom that a 17 year old has on summer vacation between his junior and senior year.

Besides the freedom to do what you want any time you want there is other benefits. When I was working as a maintence engineer, I got into a lot of company and government offices. I was limited to what I could say and do. Now I am able to voice my opinion on local state and national politics as I see fit. I volunteer at church and a few local groups that rebuild bikes for kids. Yes---you are truly free if you have some money saved, and a fair income like I do from SS and company retirement. Unfortunately that is getting to be the case less and less.
Old 11-29-13, 09:09 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Ride your bike.
Old 11-29-13, 09:20 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Why not spend a few years improving your fitness and seeing the world. Then search for a job, if that's still important. Many people start second careers at this stage of life.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-29-13, 09:58 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Why not spend a few years improving your fitness and seeing the world. Then search for a job, if that's still important. Many people start second careers at this stage of life.
That's sort of the plan. Sadly the spouse is not yet in see-the-world mode, but I have no problem with travelling alone.
Old 11-29-13, 10:10 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Boudicca
That's sort of the plan. Sadly the spouse is not yet in see-the-world mode, but I have no problem with travelling alone.
I would identify and reduce any health risks now that you have time to focus fully on fitness and diet. This can best be done at home. Your wife and you can share an interest in healthy cooking. You might also get her involved in a fitness routine that you both can share.

Then a few times a year, pack up the bike and do some touring. Travel south to the Katy Trail in April or some other destination with mild weather. During the summer your touring destinations will have fewer weather restrictions.

A few years ago, I traveled globally on business. I would travel for as many as 20 days at a time. The wife adjusted to it more easily than I would have expected.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-29-13, 10:25 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I would identify and reduce any health risks now that you have time to focus fully on fitness and diet. This can best be done at home. Your wife and you can share an interest in healthy cooking. You might also get her involved in a fitness routine that you both can share.
Um...

I'm the wife in this particular relationship. Jus' sayin, coz you peoples always assume that fellow posters are of the male persuasion, which is not always the case.
Old 11-29-13, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Freedom 55

If you want to do crazy stuff on a bike, visit Crazy Guy on a Bike. There's nothing so weird that someone hasn't given it a go. They also break it down by cost so you know what to expect.

If I were retired that's what I'd do.

Old 11-29-13, 11:00 AM
Have bike, will travel

Um...

I'm the wife in this particular relationship. Jus' sayin, coz you peoples always assume that fellow posters are of the male persuasion, which is not always the case.
Yes, I should have said "spouse".
Old 11-29-13, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um...

With a name like Boudicca you could only be a woman, and a powerful one at that. A little tough on your daughters though.
Old 11-29-13, 03:06 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Good fortune in realizing your bicycling dreams... though I'm not too sure about bicycling from New Zealand to the Rocky Mountains...
Old 11-29-13, 03:38 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Good fortune in realizing your bicycling dreams... though I'm not too sure about bicycling from New Zealand to the Rocky Mountains...
I have a really special bike. It will handle the long ride over the Pacific very well.

(Yes, poor phrasing on my part. Many apologies.)
Old 11-29-13, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll find that one of you greatest pleasures about being retired is being able to roll over and go back to sleep when hubby goes out the door on his way to work. Enjoy the everyday is Saturday gig.
Old 11-29-13, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good for you on your retirement . I worked 30 years at the same place and retired at 55 also . I could've work for another 5 years and get full pension . Life is too short to wait another 5 years to retire .
Old 12-28-13, 11:26 PM

Bikes: 2013 Windsor Wellington 3.0 1987 Trek Elance 400, 2000 Schwinn SuperSport SL nine speed. Marin MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone I know retired and myself included says "I have so much to do now that I am retired, I don't know how I had time to go to work".
Old 12-28-13, 11:36 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Brodie01
Everyone I know retired and myself included says "I have so much to do now that I am retired, I don't know how I had time to go to work".
True

Old 12-29-13, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
We have a group around St. Louis of retirees who ride 3 or 4 times a week on week days when the weather is good. I'm looking forward to joining them more often in about 6 years.

However just yesterday I submitted my retirement paperwork for a part time job that I had for 16 years. I taught night classes at a local college. It cut into my riding time, but I could afford nice bikes from the paycheck. I'll get about $200 a month when I turn 60 in June. I already get a military retirement check.

My wife gets to fully retire first in a couple of years. She's a nurse and has to do things like lift 400 lb patients while I just sit behind computer screens all day long.
Old 12-29-13, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no interest in retiring in the "old" sense of the word, most people who did that where on a cold slab not that much long after the "big date". On the other hand, maybe I can emulate my dogs...eat, sleep, play, walk, sleep, eat...you get the picture...
Old 12-29-13, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. . . to stop me getting bored . . . you have so much time on your hands . . . Any not-too-expensive tips to see me through the winter?
Do not spend money but rather time, attention and creativity. Every day do what you want to do. If you aren't sure what you want to do try something that might qualify. When in doubt, opt for activities that put you in contact with people you do not know. If still in doubt, try something entirely foreign to your experience. By the time March arrives you can easily have had a hundred new experiences.
Old 12-29-13, 04:24 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
There is always a place where your efforts as a volunteer would be greatly appreciated.

I've told myself that I will become more involved with some non-profit organizations I currently volunteer for when I am no longer encumbered by full-time employment. We'll see -- there is also something to be said for not being tied down.
Old 12-29-13, 09:29 PM

Bikes: 2013 Windsor Wellington 3.0 1987 Trek Elance 400, 2000 Schwinn SuperSport SL nine speed. Marin MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macjager
I have no interest in retiring in the "old" sense of the word, most people who did that where on a cold slab not that much long after the "big date". On the other hand, maybe I can emulate my dogs...eat, sleep, play, walk, sleep, eat...you get the picture...
I have been following retirees for years and it became really obvious that most retirees lived on average 20 years after their retirement date. That made me decide to retire at my first opportunity and hopefully enjoy as many retirement years as possible. I figured the longer I worked the more I worked into that twenty years of retirement.
With that said, I did stumble into a job, I build Motobuggys, which is part time that I schedule as I choose. It almost doesn't feel like a real job. The work is on my terms and it's fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.