Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   No winter trail maintenance (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/925692-no-winter-trail-maintenance.html)

NOS88 12-10-13 06:47 PM

No winter trail maintenance

1 Attachment(s)
Today's ride along the Schuylkill River Trail was like walking in a winter wonder land. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=354650 OK, now that we've had a "real" snow storm, I'm ready for spring.

doctor j 12-10-13 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 16319416)
OK, now that we've had a "real" snow storm, I'm ready for spring.

Add me to the list.

DnvrFox 12-11-13 07:55 AM

Yep!!

But our trails get plowed immediately after a storm.

rydabent 12-11-13 08:24 AM

What is funny here in Lincoln is that the Parks Dept clear the hiker/biker trails. They are usually very quick to do so right after a snow storm. The Street Dept of course clear the streets (kinda). You should hear dirvers complain about how streets are not cleared, but the %^$#&@# bike paths are free and clear.

Shamrock 12-11-13 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 16320514)
What is funny here in Lincoln is that the Parks Dept clear the hiker/biker trails. They are usually very quick to do so right after a snow storm. The Street Dept of course clear the streets (kinda). You should hear dirvers complain about how streets are not cleared, but the %^$#&@# bike paths are free and clear.

Same here,County workers clear the parks before the city workers clear the town streets.The school property is plowed by the Board of Ed workers.The state highway is done by state workers.The parkway is maintained by subcontractors.The Firehouse and fire hydrants use the Firemen.The Police Dept utilize the DPW guys.The post office use federal workers.And in the country farmers hop on their tractors and do it themselves.:)

NOS88 12-11-13 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 16320586)
Same here,County workers clear the parks before the city workers clear the town streets.The school property is plowed by the Board of Ed workers.The state highway is done by state workers.The parkway is maintained by subcontractors.The Firehouse and fire hydrants use the Firemen.The Police Dept utilize the DPW guys.The post office use federal workers.And in the country farmers hop on their tractors and do it themselves.:)

Interesting you should say this. Toward the end of my ride, a guy in a pickup truck with plow attached was stopped next to me waiting for traffic to pass. He rolled down his window and said it was a shame about the trail not being maintained. He went on to say that last winter he offered to plow a 4 mile segment, but was told that he would not be allowed to do so because of liability issues.

Dudelsack 12-11-13 11:04 AM

There must be someone we can blame this on.

DnvrFox 12-11-13 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16321050)
There must be someone we can blame this on.

Me - you can blame everything on me. Just come to the rear of the line - no cutting in - some folks have been waiting years. :)

berner 12-11-13 11:45 AM

This is off topic I know but I like snow and winter.

RPK79 12-11-13 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by doctor j (Post 16319446)
Add me to the list.

+2

NOS88 12-11-13 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 16321245)
This is off topic I know but I like snow and winter.

If I could package up ours and send it your way, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

fietsbob 12-11-13 01:42 PM

A Chainsaw fits nicely in a BoB trailer, for a DIY, to cut through any fallen trees .

B. Carfree 12-11-13 08:23 PM

I used to be annoyed that when we get our one snow event of the year the city only plows the roads that no one wants to ride on and totally ignores our bike paths. This year, after we got a nice dense foot of snow last week and below freezing temperatures for the next week to keep the frozen stuff around, the city has exhausted its snow removal budget and hasn't removed so much as one flake from the roadways, just applied a bit of sand. So, motorists and cyclists are being treated alike: both of us are ignored.

Although I often mention that I much prefer my water in liquid form, this has been a great week. For a few days, the cars slowed down to civilized speeds, even if they occasionally rolled up onto the sidewalks, so they've been relatively quiet. It was wonderful to walk and ride along the river where the freeway goes overhead and to only hear an occasional soft shush from a motorist going twenty miles per hour.

It all ends tomorrow, though. Sleet, then rain means the frozen stuff is headed for the river and we can get back to normal.

Edit: Well, I spoke too soon. This rare venture into negative Fahrenheit temperatures has caused a water main to burst and further damage a rather beaten-up portion of the main bike path between my house and the university. It's closed for the foreseeable future and likely won't be the highest priority for repair.