Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone using wool?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone using wool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
smartwool isn't smart enough, or maybe it's me. you can't have any heat near them, you can't even have warm thoughts or they will shrink
Old 12-17-13, 02:22 PM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Silk or merino wool for me. I cannot stand synthetics. after five minutes on me they stink.
Old 12-18-13, 07:45 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5462 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid
I wear a thin merino sweater as a base layer, and a thick cotton sweater over that in the extreme cold. I find cotton is just fine for an outer layer as long as I have wool against my skin.
This. I wear a short sleeve wicking tee under the wool.
Old 12-18-13, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear smart wool socks year round. Swag for the Bull Shifter Heart of Arizona ride this year included smart wool socks that go up a but higher, almost crew level. I bought smart wool arm warmers this year as well. I will wear the arm warmers and higher socks when the temps at the start of the ride are about 40 or lower
Old 12-18-13, 10:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
For cycling no, or for any activity that I need good moisture management. Wool went out of favor around the time of the failed Scott polar expedition. Speaking of Scott, I just read The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard, one of Scott's men who DID survive the expedition. Great stuff. One of the top rated adventure novels ever written. Available to download free from Project Gttenberg.
Old 12-18-13, 11:21 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Reynaud's syndrome means wool socks, long sleeve wool jersey and wool tights for me when the temperature drops below about 60F. Add silk long underwear beneath the wool when it's below about 50F. Add nylon windbreaker jacket or vest (removable sleeves) when it's below about 40F. Add catalytic hand and toe warmers below about 30F. Don't ride much below about 20F.
Old 12-18-13, 04:33 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
picked up two more wool pieces. a short sleeve base layer shirt and a neck warmer. I suspect I'll be using both on Saturday!
Old 12-19-13, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Wool works well for me, my favorite sweater is my old USMC woolie pully, and I started riding in the wool jersey and shorts time. I miss my wool kit, but the new stuff is expensive so it will wait a bit. No allergies to wool in any weave and it always feels very natural in its touch against my old bod. Been watching the various C&V kit places on line for deals so I can be ready to score a jersey and some shorts. Right now I have an Under Armor Cool Gear compression mock turtle neck base top that keeps me nice and toasty under my ls jersey. Patience is my friend in finding the best cost and quality.

Bill
Bill, you're in Florida! Don't think you need to be in a big rush to layer up with wool OTOH, it's chilly early am in California and even former East-coasters need to layer up a bit.

I'll stand by my previous observation that wool base layers are dryer (compared to synthetics) when I finish a ride and I don't find that wool smells the least bit. Good merino wool is, however, very contrary to my lifetime experience with wool garments.
Old 12-19-13, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Except on the hottest days, a Minus 33 merino wool, summer-weight undergarment is always worn under my riding jersey. My daily ride includes a 3-mile descent - 35 to 40mph - a long flat stretch and finally, that 1,000 vert. ft. climb back home. Only wool provides warmth on the descent while keeping me somewhat dry during the sweaty, uphill climb. When I wear cotton rather than wool, I freeze on the descent and find my undergarment soaked with sweat at the top of the hill. Wool performs much better . . . and the Minus 33 brand doesn't itch. I bought the lightest weight undergarment (basically a long-sleeved t-shirt, no collar). It's the best compromise of anything I've tried. And it doesn't itch:

https://www.minus33.com/catalog/men-s...-crew-neck/718
Old 12-19-13, 10:22 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duane Behrens
Except on the hottest days, a Minus 33 merino wool, summer-weight undergarment is always worn under my riding jersey. My daily ride includes a 3-mile descent - 35 to 40mph - a long flat stretch and finally, that 1,000 vert. ft. climb back home. Only wool provides warmth on the descent while keeping me somewhat dry during the sweaty, uphill climb. When I wear cotton rather than wool, I freeze on the descent and find my undergarment soaked with sweat at the top of the hill. Wool performs much better . . . and the Minus 33 brand doesn't itch. I bought the lightest weight undergarment (basically a long-sleeved t-shirt, no collar). It's the best compromise of anything I've tried. And it doesn't itch:

https://www.minus33.com/catalog/men-s...-crew-neck/718
Duane, thanks for the link. Probably comparable to deFeet and maybe a few dollars less.
Old 12-20-13, 01:58 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
I have a couple of Ibex merino wool shortsleeved baselayers that I love. I also have two Ibex cycling jerseys (one short-sleeved & one long-sleeved) that I'm not so enamored of. They feel great, but the fit is awful. Long arms, ridiculously long torso, but tight around the chest and neck. Designed for beanpoles?

Just the other day I was going through my closet and I found a merino wool v-neck dress sweater that I haven't worn in several years, and I noticedthat it had a couple of moth holes in the arms, which takes it out of consideration for dress wear...but it dawned on me, this will make an excellent base- or middlle-layer for winter cycling! Looking forward to trying it out.

Oh yeah, and all my socks (cycling or not) are wool.
Old 12-21-13, 10:05 PM
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I raid the local Goodwill periodically for all the merino wool sweaters I can find. I wear them as is, cut off the sleeves to use as leg warmers, and otherwise press them into service. If they don't wash well I toss 'em and get more. Works for me.
Old 12-21-13, 11:21 PM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Climbing in the Sierra in winter, the Wind Rivers, the Beartooths, and the Manaslu region in Nepal, wool was my go to stuff. It kept me warm and kept me safe a couple of times in wet conditions. After I started cycling a couple of years ago and winter came on, I looked for wool to keep me warm. Today on a warmish winter solstice ride, my Wabi merino jersey and Ibex merino base layer made me toasty ........ don't underestimate good wool......
Old 12-21-13, 11:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
For cycling no, or for any activity that I need good moisture management. Wool went out of favor around the time of the failed Scott polar expedition. [snip]
That has to be the most inaccurate post I've ever read here. Minus 33 makes incredible, lightweight, non- itching, Merino woolen undergarments that are superior to cotton and nylon in every way. Superior warmth on descents, superior wicking on climbs. I wear a lightweight, non-collared Merino woolen undershirt (basically a long-armed t-shirt) on every ride. Better than cotton. FAR better than nylon or any other man-made fabric.

https://www.minus33.com/catalog/men-s-light-weight-crew-neck/718

I can't imagine why ANYONE could suggest that nylon (or ANY man-made fabric) is better than wool. It simply isn't true.
Old 12-21-13, 11:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Duane, thanks for the link. Probably comparable to deFeet and maybe a few dollars less.
You won't be sorry. I order my woolen undergarments from JD Mills in Ely, Minnesota. Great service, great Minus 33 products, great rates on shipping. Ask for John, tell him Duane referred you. I love referring good vendors of good products:

https://elymnclothesandfootwear.com/
Old 12-22-13, 12:02 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
By the way, you wash these things in cold water, and you hang them up to dry. No dryers - ever. If you follow these two simple rules, they will not shrink. It's really not that hard . . .
Old 12-22-13, 01:13 AM

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter

Wool stinks... too. The microorganisms that make clothing stink.... grows just fine on wool. And... IMHO silver ions have no effect on fabric... others disagree.
I don't know what kind of synthetics you have, but one day of me riding in polypro, thermax or coolmax will create a stink 10 times as bad as when I ride for two weeks straight in my merino wool.

I snagged all of my merino wool at the local thrift store. Picked up six sweaters, for about $6 ea. They are as good as advertised.
Old 12-22-13, 03:09 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Got a couple of other things here I can link

I really like these kinds of back-pocketed T-shirts:

https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/at13.htm

And it's from Rivendell which has quite a few items in marino

https://www.rivbike.com/Clothing-s/42.htm

I'd like their crochet gloves too if I knew they have decent padding.

And I got that from this site which has a whole lot of great links to all sorts of wool sellers:

https://www.ultracycling.com/old/equipment/wool.html

Last edited by Zinger; 12-22-13 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-22-13, 06:52 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I picked up a new merino wool baselayer tshirt and wore it yesterday for the first time. Temps were in the 50s and 60s and it was perfect. Love it.......and it didn't stink afterwards like my poly ones.
Old 12-22-13, 07:39 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I picked up a new merino wool baselayer tshirt and wore it yesterday for the first time. Temps were in the 50s and 60s and it was perfect. Love it.......and it didn't stink afterwards like my poly ones.
Another true believer!
Old 12-22-13, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
That has to be the most inaccurate post I've ever read here. Minus 33 makes incredible, lightweight, non- itching, Merino woolen undergarments that are superior to cotton and nylon in every way. Superior warmth on descents, superior wicking on climbs. I wear a lightweight, non-collared Merino woolen undershirt (basically a long-armed t-shirt) on every ride. Better than cotton. FAR better than nylon or any other man-made fabric.

https://www.minus33.com/catalog/men-s-light-weight-crew-neck/718

I can't imagine why ANYONE could suggest that nylon (or ANY man-made fabric) is better than wool. It simply isn't true.
Your experience, and level of activity doesn't allow you to understand the benefits of modern, engineered fiber clothing systems.
Old 12-22-13, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This freaking thread is costing me so much money.
Old 12-22-13, 02:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
Your experience, and level of activity doesn't allow you to understand the benefits of modern, engineered fiber clothing systems.
You're probably correct. My particular strength lies in recognizing untruths.

I just returned from my daily 1,200 foot climb. The temperature is 72 degrees, approximately. Sweat was dripping from my helmet and chin. My summer weight merino woolen undergarment was damp but not uncomfortable.

And it didn't stink.

Buy what you want. I would only ask that you refrain from posting false statements about a product - merino wool - that works so well for so many. Thanks.
Old 12-22-13, 02:56 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
I don't know what kind of synthetics you have, but one day of me riding in polypro, thermax or coolmax will create a stink 10 times as bad as when I ride for two weeks straight in my merino wool.
I am glad you enjoy your wool! There isn't a darn thing wrong with wool.... people have been using animal shearing's (AKA wool) for all of recorded history. I don't think you'll discover anything NEW about wool clothing. But I can assure you that actual laboratory testing.... doesn't put wool on the pedestal that popular trends do. Fads don't really affect performance.

And don't get me wrong... I appreciate wool and other natural fabrics myself. I also like steel bicycles and heavy leather saddles... that doesn't mean I think they perform the best in all situations. I am just being pragmatic.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 12-22-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-22-13, 03:06 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
.... I order my woolen undergarments
In the industry when we use the term "woolen" it is reference to non-woven wool fabrics... commonly referred to as felt. Never in reference to a garment made of wool products or fabrics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.