Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any 2014 N+1 plans?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any 2014 N+1 plans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 07:44 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I want to lighten up my lively little '85 Trek 460 at the wheels and forks, maybe lose another pound overall. My eyes are always scanning the local CL for an interesting vintage ride to refurb and thrash out on the fogline. And that's what makes summer bike-intriguing.
Old 12-30-13, 02:08 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Late to this thread but I reckon the type of bike you are contemplating is right--A Hardtail. Keep the bike basic with just a bit of comfort in the forks. But it all depends on the terrain. Even on our local hills I still use the hardtail in preference to the full suspension I have as I just do XC riding now. None of the aggressive type that I used to do but when it comes to the hills I have found that a lightweight bike that doesn't bounce around works better for me. And downhills don't last long enough to require anything more.

Only thing is I think you are mad. Offroad is hard and it hurts. The uphills take too long- the downhills are too short and the flat bits are a bit exposed and not easy with the weather we are having. On top of that- I no longer bounce when I fall off. I just go "Thud" and that does hurt nowadays. But for fun- sense of achievement and fitness training- there is nothing better than a 30 mile ride in the open countryside without traffic and fumes that road riding gives.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00079.jpg (98.7 KB, 10 views)
DSC00080.jpg (99.0 KB, 10 views)
DSC00662.jpg (98.1 KB, 9 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 12-30-13, 06:06 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Done For Now...

...as I've upgraded the MTB and purchased a fixed gear bike in 2013. With my daughter's wedding coming in May, I'm not adding or changing any bikes in 2014. Standing pat with a perfectly workable set of bikes to ride. Well, maybe a steel road bike for my future son-in-law to ride when they're back visiting DC in July...
Old 12-30-13, 09:13 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sweetpete
Already got it but haven't ride not yet. 2013 Cannondale F 29er for my retirement present. Picked it up Dec 26th,
I got one of those this fall. Lots of fun. Lots of crashing

BTW my brother works in Boise, and does mountain bike riding in the hills outside of town after work. Maybe you've seen him around, wearing is yellow Vandals yersey
Old 12-30-13, 10:21 AM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Late to this thread but I reckon the type of bike you are contemplating is right--A Hardtail. Keep the bike basic with just a bit of comfort in the forks. But it all depends on the terrain. Even on our local hills I still use the hardtail in preference to the full suspension I have as I just do XC riding now. None of the aggressive type that I used to do but when it comes to the hills I have found that a lightweight bike that doesn't bounce around works better for me. And downhills don't last long enough to require anything more.

Only thing is I think you are mad. Offroad is hard and it hurts. The uphills take too long- the downhills are too short and the flat bits are a bit exposed and not easy with the weather we are having. On top of that- I no longer bounce when I fall off. I just go "Thud" and that does hurt nowadays. But for fun- sense of achievement and fitness training- there is nothing better than a 30 mile ride in the open countryside without traffic and fumes that road riding gives.

My wife thinks I am off a bit as well. I tend to be far too good at falling in the dirt and I used to come home covered in it just to prove her point.
Old 12-30-13, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Masi CX, Cannondale CAAD X

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I'd like a Surly Cross Check, but wife's getting a new kitchen instead.
This is exactly how I am getting my n+1 bike! Sort of ...

My wife has been wanting a new kitchen and appliances for years so in early 2014 we're going to take the plunge. I was planning on using that to explain that I, in turn, deserved a new bike. Instead ... a miracle happened.

The rear hub bearings in the cheapo OEM wheels on my Masi ground themselves to death the other day. I have (OMG) only the one bike anyway so I wasn't able to ride (and get the heck out of the house) for more than a week. I've been working with my LBS to figure out the best course of action (all new wheelset? rebuild the wheel using a new hub?) and have been keeping my wife apprised of our progress. Out of the blue she says "why don't you just get yourself a second bike so that you'll always have one to ride if you break one?"

Huh? Did she really say that? Yes ... more than once. I'll do this but I'll wait until after the kitchen is done ... no need to push my luck!
Old 12-30-13, 10:25 PM

Bikes: 2010 cannodale rz140 2012 Ritchey Swiss Cross 2013 Cannondale F 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
I got one of those this fall. Lots of fun. Lots of crashing

BTW my brother works in Boise, and does mountain bike riding in the hills outside of town after work. Maybe you've seen him around, wearing is yellow Vandals yersey
I will look for him once the trails get a little better. Pretty iced over right now.
Old 12-31-13, 01:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climberguy
I am thinking semi-seriously about a Kona Jake the Snake 'cross bike: https://www.konaworld.com/jake_the_snake.cfm

I would use it on packed trails and in light snow or rain on the road.
Nice choice!

I need a bike like that for the same reasons. Have you also looked at either a Salsa Vaya or Fargo? Might be worth considering.
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_vaya_2/build_kit/
Old 12-31-13, 02:31 AM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Well it was rather too late to ride but even with UPs and Fedex delays I got the bike tonight. Changed saddles to one I already knew worked OK, Added a Garmin Mount, water cage and Candies so if I can find an excuse I will take this puppy out tomorrow.

And just for Doodle here is part of my Man cave
Old 12-31-13, 02:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just started purchasing new parts to re-furbish a 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 MTB. Over the fall and winter months I started missing riding in the hills with friends and family. Would love a new bike but this'll have to do for this year.
Old 01-01-14, 01:57 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
In February of 2013.... [I was] bored out of my mind.... unable to ride due to the cold Midwestern weather. I searched CL and found an old [made if France] Peugeot. I disassembled, cleaned, polished, lubed and replaced damaged and worn parts. I knew the restoration was done... when the weather warmed. And I could bicycle again. I hung the Peugeot on my home office wall as a decoration. She isn't valuable... but she is a natural beauty.

I thought.... I had found a solution to off season boredom.... wrenching and restoration. Early in the summer (of '13)... having developed a mild addiction to CL bicycle shopping. I came across my first real "find". An early 80's Co-Mo Univega road bike with down tube shift levers, a rusted solid chain, and lots of alloy parts. I paid $20 for the bike. And brought it home with full intentions of setting it in the shed with the lawn mower till the winter humdrums set in. I decided to first make a list of parts that I would need.

Two weeks later when the last parts arrived.... 27" Internet ordered tires..... I took my fully restored new back-up bicycle for a test ride. Steel is certainly real.... and very comfortable.

About four months ago while cycling home I saw an edge of a green bicycle at the very back of a yard sale down a long driveway. It turned out to be a 93 Fuji discovery Mtn bike.... another $20 purchase. Two new knobby tires, one new tube, and lots and lots of scrubbing and cleaning.... and I had [HAVE] a winter bike that I think will fit in as a gravel grinder as well.

So now I keep checking CL.... and will continue to eye the yard sales as I pedal by when the weather warms. I am becoming more discriminating with my purchases. I am thinking a late model alloy road bicycle.
Old 01-01-14, 04:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I will purchase my first CF this year. IF I reach my target weight.
Old 01-01-14, 05:45 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
2014 N+1 plan is to get a real 29er hardtail MTB. Right now I have a Trail/Winter Frankenbike built up from an older Trek 700 frameset. Works great on hardpack and gravel, but comes up short in the sandhills around the area as the biggest tires I can put on it are 700x40 Schwalbe Smart Sams. If I go to a more aggressive tread, I get very close to rubbing the frame. I will keep it as my winter/guest/Plan B bike, but want to get something that will take a 29 x 2.0+ tire with a more aggressive footprint.
Old 01-01-14, 08:13 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
am going N+1 this year. Wife has green lit a new bike. It's my second year riding. I have a cannondale Synapse 6 alum. I am look around 4k or so. Considering Domane 5.2/6.2/5.9 as well as others in that price range. There are a lot of good bikes at that pricepoint so it should be a fun search. Now If I can just get through the New England winter..
Old 01-01-14, 11:51 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Plans? Well there's a new bike shop in town and they sell Cannondale and Giant. I've always wanted a Cannondale and have been looking at a few models. My wife said there's only room for two bikes in the garage, so if I want to sell one of them I can get a new bike. What to do?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.