Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trek Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 06:27 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Trek Recall

Trek is recalling 6,800 of it's 2013 Series 5, 6 and 7 bikes due to a possible faulty attachment bolt on the quick release lever of the front brake assembly. The affected bikes serial numbers start with WTU and end with G or H. The lever may break or come loose, while riding, causing the brake to fail. There is a link on Trek's home page to the recall document.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-14-13, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madone only. I had a Domane, but they are unaffected.
Old 12-31-13, 10:10 PM

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of recalls, Shimano recalled a popular crankset in 1997, many still in use.

A few months ago, I took an old mountain bike to my LBS for shifting problems, and they pointed out that the Shimano cranks on it had been recalled 16 years ago. Apparently many of these bikes with recalled cranks have never been brought in for replacement of the faulty parts, which had a high failure rate, not most bikes but often enough that the CPSC and Shimano agreed that Shimano should replace them as warranty items. The pleasant surprise was that Shimano is still honoring the recall, replacing the crankset, bottom bracket, chainrings, and chain, all at no cost for parts and labor by the LBS. (I don't remember if I paid for a new cassette or if Shimano did.) I got a new drive train installed for very little cost.

Here's the recall notice: https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1997/...le-Components/. Check your old bikes of the mid-1990's vintage to see if the Shimano part number on the inner surface of the drive-side crank arm has the recalled number.