Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What took them so long.....a bike computer with big numbers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What took them so long.....a bike computer with big numbers

Old 01-29-15, 11:15 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
I have progressives in my regular glasses. It took a couple of rides to get used to my stick-on bifocals. Now I don't notice them at all. It's interesting how completely the mind adapts to things like bifocals.

I had old single vision inserts. The optician told me that +2 readers would go with them. So I got a stick-on bifocal, and cut one in half and trimmed them down with a razor knife. The plastic is too dense to cut easily with scissors.

These stick-ons work great. They adhere like a window static cling sticker, but I can even wash the inserts under the faucet and they don't come off.

~~~

The stick-on is about the size of my index fingernail. It covers the whole width of my handlebars. I tried a few different locations, and kept trimming it down until I settled on this.

These are Rudy Project Rydons. I have clear lenses and dark sunglass lenses that snap in. The inserts have a metal frame, and the bridge is springy, and clicks into a slot in the frame.

I'm due for a new prescription, and I hope to duplicate this arrangement.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-29-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 03:04 PM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Aren't the larger numbers going to add weight to the bike?
Old 01-29-15, 03:19 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The numbers on my Sigma computer (an older 1009) are sufficiently large, and the material they use for the LCD display is highly visible in low light. My Garmin 500, on the other hand, is hard to see in low light, of in bright sunlight but with my shadow over it. Plus, it seems like the Garmin Edge (the bike computers) engineers (who must obviously all be under 30 years of age) chose a font style for the Garmin 500 display that is extremely (and I mean extremely) difficult to make out. Will have to check out the 800/810 to see if there's any improvement.

Luis
Old 01-29-15, 04:01 PM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I used a Cateye Strada (wired, no cadence) for years. Worked great for my needs (mph, odo and trip distance, clock).

Unfornately I dropped it during a ride and it was crushed my a car - I wanted to buy a 1:1 replacement so I could use same already installed base, but the Strada is discontinued.

So I just bought a Padrone. The big numbers will be nice (I need to take off glasses to see anything near me), but the wireless concerns me a bit given stories of loosing or bad data during rides - at least older gen wireless had this issue, does the Padrone also? How real an issue is this? I still have 6hrs to cancel my order.
I used a Padrone throughout last summer and didn't lose data. I occasionally got bad readings from stray radio signals, but it wasn't much of an issue. I took pictures and got bragging rights when it showed my max speed as 62 mph. Pretty good coming back home from a bus stop. I did have to replace the wheel magnet, but new ones are a couple of dollars on Amazon.
Old 01-29-15, 04:57 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Discount Reading Glasses | Readers.com does it for me.

Old 01-29-15, 08:26 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Just the other day was thinking about it - I have no problem reading my Strada in bright daylight, but have a hard time in low light. This looks much easier to read.
Smaller f-stop (your pupil) in brighter light makes for greater depth of field.

I've been wearing bifocal safety glasses and now Dual bifocal sun glasses for several years for cycling. Progressive lenses in my non-cycling glasses.
Old 02-01-15, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No computer for me.. Takes the fun out of it for me. Miles go too slowly, average to slow... to far, not far enough. Its more important to focus on how I feel.
Old 02-02-15, 04:04 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
but the wireless concerns me a bit given stories of loosing or bad data during rides - at least older gen wireless had this issue, does the Padrone also? How real an issue is this? I still have 6hrs to cancel my order.
I installed it before Sat. ride. No strangeness during ride, but when I went to enter data into my laptop I noted my max speed was 62mph.
Then this morning as I started to enter my morning commute data into my laptop I noticed the max speed was again 62mph and the unit was 'active'.

Ahhh, my laptop causes radio interference and if I bring it within about 18" of it will cause it to set the max speed to 62mph and start counting miles/times, messing up all prior data.

So I will need to change my data entry method, write it on paper first before entering into laptop - or more likely keep it a couple feet from laptop when transcribing data.
Old 02-02-15, 04:19 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My little LCD one from the 80s was fine as an odometer, trip distance measurement.. I dont even put a fresh battery in , between tours.

I liked the fork blade mount, out of the way..

I know theres data lovers stava comparators.. enjoy your rides .. carry on.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-02-15 at 04:22 PM.