Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lipitor and legs

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lipitor and legs

Old 01-15-14, 08:56 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lipitor and legs

For those if you on Lipitor or some other staten, does it make your legs hurt? Like wrestless leg syndrome?
Old 01-15-14, 11:32 PM
Outlaw714

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take simvistatin with no issues. Been taking it for years.
Old 01-16-14, 12:35 AM
jdon

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and elevated liver and pancreatic enzymes. I no longer take statins.

There is a great (and lengthy) thread on statins on this forum. Not too old so it may just be a few pages back.
Old 01-16-14, 07:10 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My wife had a lot of issues with muscle pain and quit them. After her experience I read a lot about the pros and cons of statins and concluded that for me the cons ruled so I dropped them as well. We both got our cholesterol numbers under control simply by cutting way back on sugar and refined carbs. I lost 15% of my body weight as an added benefit. That alone has vastly better correlation with reduced risk of CHD than statins.
Old 01-16-14, 08:27 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
My wife had a lot of issues with muscle pain and quit them. After her experience I read a lot about the pros and cons of statins and concluded that for me the cons ruled so I dropped them as well. We both got our cholesterol numbers under control simply by cutting way back on sugar and refined carbs. I lost 15% of my body weight as an added benefit. That alone has vastly better correlation with reduced risk of CHD than statins.
I agree, I was prescribed statins I took one dose, read about them and stopped.
Old 01-16-14, 08:55 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw714 View Post
Same here. Been taking it since April 2009. No problems.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-16-14, 08:56 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 76 Posts
I have been taking Lipitor for 15 years with no side effects at all. My wife on the other hand cant take statins because it screws up her liver panel.

Bottom line is some people can take statins, and some cant.
Old 01-16-14, 09:23 AM
jdon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
I have been taking Lipitor for 15 years with no side effects at all. My wife on the other hand cant take statins because it screws up her liver panel.

Bottom line is some people can take statins, and some cant.
That about sums it up. For some a miracle, for others a poison.

This what can happen when it is a poison..

http://www.cqs.com/lipitor.htm
Old 01-16-14, 11:26 AM
jmiked

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw714 View Post

Same here. No problems.
Old 01-16-14, 12:20 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I notice mild symptoms when taking Lipitor. As the OP described, like slight (in my case) restless leg syndrome. Not so much that I have stopped taking them, but I'm on a low dose and taking other measures to control my cholesterol numbers. I know a few people who have stopped taking them due to fibromyalgia like symptoms, one person I know described it as feeling like he "had been beaten with a baseball bat". Like pretty much any other medication, statins have their risks and benefits and may not be right for everyone. To paraphrase one of my former instructors about the risks of medications "they ain't chicken soup".
Old 01-16-14, 03:55 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piratebike View Post
For those if you on Lipitor or some other staten, does it make your legs hurt? Like wrestless leg syndrome?
No issues for me either.
Old 01-16-14, 04:01 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been on statins for a little over a year. At first it caused muscle aches. My doc told me to take Coenzyme Q10. I did, and the muscle aches disappeared.

The CoQ10 seemed to increase my energy level. I used that extra energy to ride my bike and that caused me to drop 30 lbs. I looked on the internet and there's some evidence CoQ10 does this for other people, too.

Now my cholesterol levels are good, but the doc wouldn't take me off statins yet. He's going to wait a few more months to make sure the numbers stay good.
Old 01-16-14, 04:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 187 Posts
Many people on statins do a whole lot better on 200mg CoQ10/day. I take 100mg. Though I'm not on a statin, that still seems to be a good idea.
Old 01-16-14, 04:33 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Many people on statins do a whole lot better on 200mg CoQ10/day. I take 100mg. Though I'm not on a statin, that still seems to be a good idea.
Based on what scientific study?
Old 01-16-14, 04:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
What based on what? Or recalling my hippie days, I might say, "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it."
Old 01-16-14, 06:50 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 108 Posts
What based on what? Or recalling my hippie days, I might say, "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it."
I don't know whether there are actual clinical studies that show CoQ10 has any benefit or not; but it sure didn't help me when the doc put me on Lipitor.
Old 01-16-14, 06:56 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had muscle aches but they went away
Old 01-16-14, 07:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
I don't know whether there are actual clinical studies that show CoQ10 has any benefit or not; but it sure didn't help me when the doc put me on Lipitor.
Yes, there are many very good studies:
For statin-takers:
Impact of coenzyme Q-10 on parameters of cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle performance in older athletes taking statins.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23306418

For the rest of us geezers:
http://www.naturalathleteclinic.com/...hletes-use-it/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...C+Siebrecht+SC.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19644406
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14695924
and this long, systematic review of the chemistry, etc., with pages of study links:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/coQ10.pdf
Old 01-16-14, 08:15 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I had muscle aches but they went away
My muscles went away too. Somehow, the aches still remain.
Old 01-16-14, 08:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
Part of the problem with studies, is that most are funded by folks making the case for a patented drug.

For example, there are studies that support Niacin as offering benefits comparable to statins in raising HDLP and lowering LDLP, where the ratios aren't that bad to begin with. But Niacin is generic and cheap, so who's going to fund a major study to prove you don't need expensive drugs.

I'm convinced that if the cure for scurvy hadn't been found by the Limeys, and it were still a problem, nobody in the USA would be funding studies about citrus fruits or vitamin C. Instead, there would some expensive drug urged on those going to sea for an extended amount of time.

BTW- I too was found to have high cholesterol and put on Crestor. Like others here, I felt it was causing muscle pain, and maybe loss of power and endurance. Dumped the drugs, raised my daily mileage, rode harder and went on Niacin. The blood lipids are now back in line with good ratios, but in all fairness I can't say if it was the Niacin or the more riding. In any case, nothing succeeds like success, and the next step is to test by cutting back on the Niacin.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-16-14 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 09:21 PM
depotdan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm over 50, and I have taken Crestor over a decade no pains, liver good. Weight is good, exercise a large amount, blood pressure is good. With Crestor numbers are good. Both parents passed away from Heart problems 60's and 70's. No matter what I did, my numbers where just to high without Crestor. Wish I did not have to take, I don't want to have to take anything but its the only medicine I take. I tried everything that people suggested. Eat just chicken, no red meat, eat lots of peanuts, take fish oil, drink green tea, high carb diet, low carb diet, walk 20 thousand steps a day, if you can think of fade I tried it. They only thing that has kept my numbers where they belong has been the Crestor. I get my blood work done every 6 months, Dr. has suggested going a year, but with the blood I have other things checked and it give me a peace of mind that nothing else is slowing going wrong. I have never tried any other statin, but I have a feeling I would do well on any of them. I remember my arms feeling funny at first but within a couple of weeks that feeling was gone. Good luck, Its your body, you have to do what right for you
Old 01-16-14, 09:29 PM
jdon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most tests were conducted were 300 mg/day and results were very favorable at that dosing.
Old 01-16-14, 09:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by depotdan View Post
I'm over 50, and I have taken Crestor over a decade no pains, liver good. Weight is good, exercise a large amount, blood pressure is good. With Crestor numbers are good. ...No matter what I did, my numbers where just to high without Crestor....
Everybody's body is different. We each have to do what works for us. That means we should be open to trying various approaches. Some will do well with diet and exercise alone. Others, like you, absolutely depend on the modern medicine.

I have heart disease in the family (father, brother), yet never had serious issues as long as I rode the bike. OTOH, I have a good friend, who has no heart disease in the family, is a super fit athlete, and had absolutely no indicators that there was anything negative going on, until he survived a major heart attack in his low 40s with a 99% blockage of the left anterior descending artery (the so-called widowmaker). Go figure.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-16-14, 10:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually try to start out my patients with Niacin and Fish Oil - And then try to get them to transition into changing their diet - Its not that hard when your working with athletes or those who have been athletes - They realize they have to do something or bad things may happen...

Non-Athelets are harder and more resistant to taking pills or dieting - Its often hard enough just trying to get them to cut down on smoking...

I treat complaints of leg cramps or rather arthralgias by immediately changing their meds - There are about 17 really good statins out there and all of them are different in different people - Some patients can't handle Lipitor but can take Simvastatin or vice versa - You never know so I try to switch them out till we get one that's compatible - I have a few patients that can't take statins at all but that's not bad for this class of drugs...

After diet my favourite cocktail combo for patients sensitive to statins is: Niacin, Fish Oil, Zetia, and low dose Pravastatin - Slowly getting a patient at least close to good numbers being the goal...

I hate it when I get a patient who's lipids are so high that I have to tell them, "to bad about your side effects... You have got to take these drugs or I can't continue to see you..." - As a health care provider when you say that its really an admission of failure...
Old 01-17-14, 09:51 AM
Jeff in vegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never had an issue with statins at all. I am trying to get off them and take 3 doses of fish oil( 1200m caps) daily. My Cholesterol is in great shape and if I could change a little on my diet and lose some weight, should be able to stop the statins.
I took Niacin for a while but there are some side effects that bothered me quite a bit(called flushing and we are not talking about toilets).
I took Lipitor a long time ago and never had an issue with cramps or restless leg but then we are all different in how the medicines react with our bodies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.