Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bicycle movies (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/930481-bicycle-movies.html)

Retro Grouch 01-19-14 09:37 AM

Bicycle movies

Mrs. Grouch wanted me to buy "Breaking Away" to show to our triplet, middle school aged grandsons. While I was at it I also ordered "Quicksilver" "Premium Rush" and "Triplets of Belleville".

Now I have to talk her into buying one of those new fangled flat screen TV's to show them on.

JerrySTL 01-19-14 09:39 AM

Don't forget "The Bicycle Thief". Also "Key Exchange" has some cycling scenes but is R rated.

Retro Grouch 01-19-14 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JerrySTL (Post 16423386)
Don't forget "The Bicycle Thief". Also "Key Exchange" has some cycling scenes but is R rated.

I'd forgotten about "The Bicycle Thief". I liked it but I doubt my grandsons would identify very much with the plot or any of the characters. My favorite scene is all of the men casually clinging onto the outside of the overcrowded bus like it was something routine.

NVanHiker 01-19-14 10:03 AM

Viewing angles are better with a regular curved screen. My friends don't seem to mind watching the super bowl on my 32" Trinitron!

jdon 01-19-14 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 16423383)
Mrs. Grouch wanted me to buy "Breaking Away" to show to our triplet, middle school aged grandsons. While I was at it I also ordered "Quicksilver" "Premium Rush" and "Triplets of Belleville".

Now I have to talk her into buying one of those new fangled flat screen TV's to show them on.

Good news, the TV won't cost too much more than the movies.

I got a kick out of the bicycle cliche's on "This is 40". Not suitable for kids due to language and sexual content but a funny show.

Dan Burkhart 01-19-14 11:56 AM

Pewee's big adventure?

Dudelsack 01-19-14 12:38 PM

If you get Netflix, check out Ride the Divide. Good times.

If you can watch YouTube on your TV, there are two great hour long shows on the PBP 2011. One is the official "conquer your fears" edition, the other is an unofficial "you're going to die out there, and for what?" version. Both are excellent and have English subtitles.

badger1 01-19-14 02:07 PM

Especially suited to 50+ viewers:

http://vimeo.com/groups/wereldfietser/videos/58201809

JanMM 01-19-14 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 16423675)
Pewee's big adventure?

+1

Terex 01-19-14 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by NVanHiker (Post 16423423)
Viewing angles are better with a regular curved screen. My friends don't seem to mind watching the super bowl on my 32" Trinitron!

You need to update your knowledge of TV's. Plasmas and the newer laser phosphor displays have almost the viewing angle of CRT's (178 vs. 180 degrees) and both have tremendous advantages over CRT's in terms of weight, energy usage, heat generation, irradiation of the grandkids sitting too close, etc. And the latest flat screens ARE curved, but concave instead of convex.

Longevity of good CRTs was amazing though. I had a 32" Sony KV-XBR that lasted a good 15 years.

Rick@OCRR 01-19-14 07:24 PM

Don't forget "American Flyers" and "Chasing Legends!"

Rick / OCRR

Zinger 01-19-14 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
^^^
That "Chasing Legends" looks interesting. Been seeing some of the short clips on YouTube after hearing of it in this thread.

Here's one on the history of the Red Zinger/Coors Classics from 1977 through 1988 (minus 1979).

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360406

Good early Lemond, Hampsten, Bauer, Luis Herrera, Connie Carpenter/Phinney the Stetinas and the rest of the western hemisphere guys who first broke into European cycling are in here. Most of the women's racing too.

These are expensive and I don't think they're being produced anymore but I found this one for half price at this site:

http://www.racycles.com/products/detail/28348

You can also still find used copies around still.

reverborama 01-20-14 01:03 PM

Do the math for her; show your work. If you paid $250,000 for a 2500 square foot house, that's $100/square foot. If you get a flat screen TV you will reclaim at least 4 square feet of floor space. 4 square feet in the room you spend an awful lot of time in. That's $400. A 42 inch Sharp LED TV at Best Buy is $350. It's like you are making $50 by buying that TV.

The down side to this is when you watch Le Tour, the scenery will look so good on that screen you will soon find yourself shelling out for a trip to France. But you can't win 'em all!

(Seriously, the extra room you get by going to a flat screen is a big deal)

tcs 01-20-14 03:37 PM

If they were my middle school aged grandsons, I'd show 'em "Wadjda".

Ranger63 01-21-14 08:22 AM

Anyone know of a link where one can still order a dvd of the red zinger/coors classic?
I was 100% unaware dvds even existed of this and now learn that VeloGear was taken over by Trek (whom I contacted with little success)
I've been thru the gamut of Google links and found nothing (but several press references to the event being on dvd thru VeloGear)
Thanks

Ranger63 01-21-14 08:43 AM

Red Zinger/Coors Classic DVD
Found it! (eBay NOS)

CACycling 01-21-14 11:29 AM

BMX Bandits

DiabloScott 01-21-14 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 16423953)

That was really cool... what a character.

az_cyclist 01-21-14 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 16424597)
Don't forget "American Flyers" and "Chasing Legends!"

Rick / OCRR

Good additions, Rick

JohnDThompson 01-21-14 02:26 PM

Don't forget "A Sunday in Hell" and "La Course en Tête."

Zinger 01-21-14 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger63 (Post 16428341)
Red Zinger/Coors Classic DVD
Found it! (eBay NOS)

Here's another one for half price:

http://www.racycles.com/products/detail/28348

8 hours. Y'all could probably find other used ones out there too.

Zinger 01-21-14 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 16423953)

These are especially good to find on the video sites. I can download the flv,mp4 or webm file with an "Ant" flash video downloader. I reencode them into Video CD MPG with "Pazera" freeware and either burn them to CDs or as data on DVDs and can watch them on my old tube TV where they do fine (providing your DVD player is VCD compatible).

I also have other video editing tools so that I can split them up into segments so they burn better and I can jump to different scenes. I get lots of old movies and hard to find music this way (by stripping the wav or mp3 from them). I just now picked up this one and got "The Big Lebowski" the other day.

David Bierbaum 01-21-14 03:01 PM

Being an anime freakazoid, I thought of the Nasu movies: Nasu: Summer in Andalusia and Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase though I'm not sure if middle-schoolers would be interested in these more adult-oriented story-lines.

Retro Grouch 01-21-14 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zinger (Post 16429364)
These are especially good to find on the video sites. I can download the flv,mp4 or webm file with an "Ant" flash video downloader. I reencode them into Video CD MPG with "Pazera" freeware and either burn them to CDs or as data on DVDs and can watch them on my old tube TV where they do fine (providing your DVD player is VCD compatible).

Might just as well have been written in Martian.

Dudelsack 01-21-14 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 16429830)
Might just as well have been written in Martian.

I would just go to Best Buy and get a geZapalator in order to defragment multiple files to a gorgilating fimbrillation device. Then use a Fire and Death wire to convey the data to a delatory forgiteon and transfer it all to a deconstructive radilculator and then connect it to your TV.

it takes a few times to get the hang of it, but it's really pretty easy.