Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Comfort grips....which? with integrated bar ends?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-15-14, 04:52 PM
butlerkid

Bikes: 25 yr old Univega MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm wanting to put comfort grips on my new Giant Rove 0. I like the idea of a large palm area.

Are the Ergon grips with integrated end bars OK? Any advice re: models GP3, GP4 or GP5? BTW I have medium sized female hands...if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-14, 07:53 AM
moth54

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by butlerkid View Post
I'm wanting to put comfort grips on my new Giant Rove 0. I like the idea of a large palm area.

Are the Ergon grips with integrated end bars OK? Any advice re: models GP3, GP4 or GP5? BTW I have medium sized female hands...if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Hello butlerkid. I am petite but have wide, large-boned hands (to match my wide, large-boned feet), go figure. Anyway I wish I could remember the brand, but my grips are gel injected cork (the same manufacturer also offered an all gel version). I took the first type since that's what there was left at season's end, and I. Love. Them. (I have a solid fork, do a lot of rec trail riding, and the grips cut down on 'chatter' vibrations, and also offer a great palm rest area.) Spouse had to cut them down to fit as they were too long, but cutting didn't affect their performance.

I don't know anything about the Ergon grips, sorry, maybe someone else can help you.
Old 02-16-14, 08:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 357 Posts
Since you're stepping up my favorite grips are leather ones from Portland something-or-other. I've bought similar ones with several different brand names from two or three different sources (Google leather bicycle handgrips). They are heavy gauge leather, feel good, and they get progressively better-looking as they age through use.
Old 02-16-14, 08:17 AM
butlerkid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Retro.

Perhaps these? They also offer the same pair with the right grip longer to accommodate a twist shifter. Is that necessary? The palm area doesn't seem to be as large as the Ergon or other models, but it may be big enough!
Old 02-16-14, 08:21 AM
butlerkid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moth54 View Post
Hello butlerkid. I am petite but have wide, large-boned hands (to match my wide, large-boned feet), go figure. Anyway I wish I could remember the brand, but my grips are gel injected cork (the same manufacturer also offered an all gel version). I took the first type since that's what there was left at season's end, and I. Love. Them. (I have a solid fork, do a lot of rec trail riding, and the grips cut down on 'chatter' vibrations, and also offer a great palm rest area.) Spouse had to cut them down to fit as they were too long, but cutting didn't affect their performance.

I don't know anything about the Ergon grips, sorry, maybe someone else can help you.
Thanks for the recommendation. Ergon makes these grips. Although I think I would prefer the look of the GP3, GP4 or GP5.
Old 02-16-14, 08:40 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like the Ergon grips. They have shorter ones to accommodate one or two twist shifters or longer ones that work with trigger shifters. Don't get the large grips, the small ones are plenty large. Bike shops that have the grips rarely even show the large ones. I saw a pair once and they are huge.

I don't use the ones with bar ends so I can't comment on that.
Old 02-16-14, 08:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Thank you, Retro.

Perhaps these? They also offer the same pair with the right grip longer to accommodate a twist shifter. Is that necessary? The palm area doesn't seem to be as large as the Ergon or other models, but it may be big enough!
Those are the ones, and I really like them, but I didn't pay nearly that much for mine.

Twist shifts significantly changes the equation. You'll definitely want a twist shift specific handgrip or else it'll look goofy. I think there's a shorter Ergon handgrip to work with twist shifts but, if you only have a right hand shifter, you might have to buy two pairs to get the two sides to match. Complicating the whole process is there's two different twist shift lengths. On SRAM Centerra shifters, for example, the rotating part is about twice as long as other SRAM shifters. If your bike has those, I think you might be stuck with the stock handgrips.
Old 02-16-14, 09:16 AM
butlerkid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Rove 0 will come with Shimano Deore RapidFire trigger shifters...(I think...I know they will be Deore...!)

Almost all of my riding will be road or very light packed trail.
Old 02-16-14, 12:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

The Rove 0 will come with Shimano Deore RapidFire trigger shifters...(I think...I know they will be Deore...!)
Those Portland Design grips work great with Rapid Fire shifters.
Old 02-16-14, 01:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 844 Posts
I 1st tried Ergon GR5, on my Brompton, but GR3 is shorter, so wont interfere with the handlebar fold down.

M bar, I got 2 short ones , and added a section of round grip,
rather than cut the longer ones down ..

GS 2 is like the GR3 but the race grip is different .

https://phormcycling.myshopify.com/collections/grips are another, lower cost ones ..
stubby bar end part of the grip.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-16-14 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 05:05 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 349 Posts
I have Ergons on 3 of my bikes, I have the short grips with trigger shifters on trekking bars to allow me to move them farther out on the bars and until recently I had the large grips on regular riser bars but just moved the trekking bars to that bike. I love them! I have the grips with large built in end bars for another build but haven't had a chance to mount them yet but just playing around with them I think I'm going to really like them as well.
Old 02-16-14, 08:11 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Welcome to the 50+ Forum, Butlerkid, I couldn't possibly say anything more than these knowledgeable people have already.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-17-14, 10:53 AM
butlerkid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate all the responses! Do any of you use bar ends? Perhaps I should get Ergon grips and separately try bar ends?
Old 02-17-14, 11:09 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought some large Ergon grips for my Great Divide bike. They have bar ends which are connected to the grips. This is a bad thing. When I get the grips rotated so they feel perfect, the bar ends aren't positioned the way I'd like. However, I just checked the Ergon GP5 on their website, and it says that the grips and bar ends can be positioned independently of each other, so I guess they've fixed that. I wish mine did that. They'd be perfect.

The grips are very comfortable and I had no hand soreness or numbness after several long days in a row.
Old 02-17-14, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 844 Posts
yea thats the idea of their design , the same bolt does 2 things you adjust the end and the grip separately.
then that bolt grips them both and the end of the (not carbon) handlebar.
Old 02-17-14, 01:18 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 57 Posts
I like the GP-1s, as they let you put whatever bar ends you want on there. There are many to choose from, and it gives you a lot more flexibility.
Old 02-19-14, 06:22 PM
butlerkid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at a pair of Ergon GR5's today. I was surprised by how heavy they seemed! Yet - I have problems with my right wrist from years of tennis......I really think I will need a way to alleviate constant pressure on my wrist....

Perhaps I will just ride with the grips on the Rove 0 for a while to establish a baseline....
Old 02-21-14, 09:09 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
First, I wouldn't worry about the weight on good grips. Especially if you are considering bar ends, any of them are going to add some weight.

I ride with bar ends all the time, and recently started using a pair of inexpensive oblong grips (shaped similar to the Ergons) and I love them. I would definitely suggest bar ends for you to allow different hand positions to give your wrists a break. I also wear a light pair of cycling gloves, and using them with oblong grips in the past has worked well.

I recently bought the Ergon GP5 grips (I use a large) and although I haven't rode with them yet, the grip feels like it should, and the bar end had a good feel to it as well. I think for me the combination will work well.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-21-14, 07:01 PM
butlerkid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
First, I wouldn't worry about the weight on good grips. Especially if you are considering bar ends, any of them are going to add some weight.

I ride with bar ends all the time, and recently started using a pair of inexpensive oblong grips (shaped similar to the Ergons) and I love them. I would definitely suggest bar ends for you to allow different hand positions to give your wrists a break. I also wear a light pair of cycling gloves, and using them with oblong grips in the past has worked well.

I recently bought the Ergon GP5 grips (I use a large) and although I haven't rode with them yet, the grip feels like it should, and the bar end had a good feel to it as well. I think for me the combination will work well.
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! Good to know that the weight shouldn't be an issue. I have avg sized female hands....the small Ergon GP5's seemed a little narrow for the palm area. But I hear the large GP5's are really big.

I just played tennis 3 days in a row, and I have a very, very tender wrist right now. I feel it just typing...so looks like I can benefit from the GP5's.