Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Why ask why? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/935401-why-ask-why.html)

Dudelsack 02-23-14 01:25 PM

Why ask why?

My wife is a low level hoarder, and I'm indifferent to home organization (read: slob), so my wife hires a young lady to help straighten up. It's a good arrangement. The woman is married to a seminarian, meaning she's dirt poor and could use the money. She also doesn't have a shred of sentimentality, at least with our stuff, so she is successful making my wife part with stuff that has been gathering dust for twenty or more years.

However, the last time she was here, she stored my Planet Bike red blinky God only knows where. I looked high and low, and in one area looked three times for naught.

Planet Bike blinkies cost $45 and can be seen from outer space.

After two months of looking, I bought a new blinky on Friday from the LBS (I try to support them because they're great). Then I decided to put new handlebar tape on.

Within thirty seconds of looking for duct tape, I found the original blinky. When I bought the new blinky, my spider senses told me that I would find the old blinky in short order.

Someone's just messing with me.

I looked for about a half hour for the duct tape until I remembered that I kept it in my bike bag.

I looked for another half hour until it occurred to me that I left the handlebar tape in the trunk of my car.

Anyway, I'm blaming the organizing woman.

Since the wonderful warm snap we had is being ushered out by yet another Artic Express, anyone else have similar tales of woe?

Retro Grouch 02-23-14 01:32 PM

Yup. I think that your title says it all. That's just how it is.

Biker395 02-23-14 01:53 PM

Welcome to upper middle age.

Say ... what was your name again?

Murray Missile 02-23-14 02:13 PM

I misplaced my good air pressure gauge last Fall, looked high and low for it for 2 days. I finally gave up and went and bought a new one, the next day I picked up a Shimano spec sheet from the work bench and there it was. :twitchy:

metalheart44 02-23-14 02:17 PM

:)

h2oxtc 02-23-14 02:49 PM

With the exception of the hired organizer, this is sounding like at 50+ thread ... wait, this IS a 50+ thread.

I share the feeling of frustration knowing you have something but can't find it. In my case it doesn't matter whether I'm left to my form of organization, looks like chaos, or my wifes, everything in it's place. Still can find it.

Shamrock 02-23-14 05:18 PM

It must be annoying to see all those Planet Bike Blinkies from the space station!
When I throw out stuff from the basement I get accused of taking our memories away to a dump.or dad you are throwing away our childhood! It's so bad here after I clean out the basement,they go through all the contractor garbage bags and bring most of it back inside.

I must admit no one touches my bike stuff.Even if someone uses my car they remove all the bike equipment.I think I misplace more bike clothes than bike parts or tools.Im missing a mtb shorts liner.I really like those shorts.I have spent hours and hours looking for the liner to no avail.I can't remember where I purchased them either.The name brand must be on the liner.Note don't buy mtb shorts that come in 2 pieces .I assume the liner must be with all those missing socks and combs. Now that I think of it there must be a black hole in our house.

Artkansas 02-23-14 05:31 PM

N + 1, now you need a new bike to mount the new blinkie on. :thumb:

Dudelsack 02-23-14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 16520459)
It must be annoying to see all those Planet Bike Blinkies from the space station!
When I throw out stuff from the basement I get accused of taking our memories away to a dump.or dad you are throwing away our childhood! It's so bad here after I clean out the basement,they go through all the contractor garbage bags and bring most of it back inside.

I must admit no one touches my bike stuff.Even if someone uses my car they remove all the bike equipment.I think I misplace more bike clothes than bike parts or tools.Im missing a mtb shorts liner.I really like those shorts.I have spent hours and hours looking for the liner to no avail.I can't remember where I purchased them either.The name brand must be on the liner.Note don't buy mtb shorts that come in 2 pieces .I assume the liner must be with all those missing socks and combs. Now that I think of it there must be a black hole in our house.

If you buy a new liner, you are guaranteed to find the old one with ten minutes of your arrival home. You won't even have to be looking for them.

Wileyrat 02-23-14 05:55 PM

So, I changed out the tires on the old Team Fuji to some Vittoria Rubino's. They were a struggle to get on the rims and I thought this is exactly how I pinch tubes, I need to make sure that doesn't happen.

Well it happened.

JanMM 02-23-14 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quite a lot of bicycle content for a thread in a fishing forum. Who makes the best reels - Shimano or SRAM?

Is is almost Spring yet?

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=365696

BlazingPedals 02-23-14 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 16520920)

One of my barn cats already scored a bluebird. There's still 15 inches of snow in the back yard, what are bluebirds doing here already???

Oh, and BTW has anybody seen my frame pump?

John E 02-23-14 09:26 PM

My wife and I are packrats, and after 33 years in the same smallish house, in which we raised two boys, we definitely have too much stuff. It is easy to stay neat and organized when you have more storage space than stuff, but it becomes a real challenge when you accumulate too much.

Our buzzword is "Get Rid Of Surplus Stuff" (great acronym, right?), but we're not terribly good at it, even though we mean well.

Zinger 02-23-14 09:32 PM

If you want to find out where a missing tool is just speculate that someone might have picked it up wherever you left it out last and then you'll find it somewhere in your toolbox.

This is just the way the gods work.

gif4445 02-23-14 10:49 PM

I had the same problem. Couldn't find my LHT anywhere, so had to go to the LBS and get a new bike. Didn't get the same kind of course. Roubaix. My thinking was just like yours. Just as soon as I bought a new one, I would find the old. And wouldn't you know it, walked into the garage and there it was. IDK?? I guess N+1 gets easier with age!

qcpmsame 02-24-14 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 16520934)
One of my barn cats already scored a bluebird. There's still 15 inches of snow in the back yard, what are bluebirds doing here already???

Oh, and BTW has anybody seen my frame pump?

Its robins here, they are big, fat ones that congregate in the yards and fields. Check your other hand for the frame pump, that is where I usually find the thing I have torn the garage apart looking for something:rolleyes:.

Bill

leob1 02-24-14 07:53 AM

Two questions, is the roll of duct tape in your bike bag a full roll? How big is your bike bag? To you carry it with you on the bike?
Give the poor girl a $5 tip for putting your licht some place safe.

NOS88 02-24-14 09:27 AM

I spent about 45 minutes over three days looking for the mount for my NiteRider light so I could put in on my commuter. I knew I was just holding it a few days prior. I blamed my son who stopped in to use the repair stand and some tools to do some work on his bike. But it wasn't him. No, it was me. I found it on the handlebars of the bike I was going to put it on.

Bikey Mikey 02-24-14 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 16522058)
I spent about 45 minutes over three days looking for the mount for my NiteRider light so I could put in on my commuter. I knew I was just holding it a few days prior. I blamed my son who stopped in to use the repair stand and some tools to do some work on his bike. But it wasn't him. No, it was me. I found it on the handlebars of the bike I was going to put it on.

LOL :roflmao2:

Artkansas 02-24-14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 16522058)

Devilishly clever place for it to hide, eh.

fasthair 02-24-14 11:37 PM

Not bike related other then I carry it my backpack on my bike. Three days looking now and still can't find the dang sleeve for my laptop. I keep saying just go buy a new one with the following thought it will show up then.

fasthair

eja_ bottecchia 02-24-14 11:44 PM

Will the young lady travel to California?

I need help cleaning up the assorted detritus left behind by my four children. There is no such thing as an empty nest while their stuff is still in the garage and all over the rest of the house.

skilsaw 02-24-14 11:46 PM

I think this story gets the blue ribbon for stupidity, or senility or something.
The television channel changer lost a function, then lost another function. Within a week or ten days it was only half working so I threw it out.

After the garbage man had emptied our bin, I thought, "I wonder if it just needed new batteries?"

tsurr 02-25-14 06:58 AM

Learn to enjoy this experience, it happens more frequently as we age; currently looking for new right hand bike glove in the garage, that I haven't seen since fall, been using mittens due to the cold, hopefully by the next warm up I will have my glove, if not , look a little more.

locolobo13 02-25-14 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by tsurr (Post 16524850)
Learn to enjoy this experience, it happens more frequently as we age; currently looking for new right hand bike glove in the garage, that I haven't seen since fall, been using mittens due to the cold, hopefully by the next warm up I will have my glove, if not , look a little more.

I usually find the missing gloves the next year when I put on the jacket I left it in.