Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wild Pig Kills 70 year old cyclist

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wild Pig Kills 70 year old cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
StephenH was on a tandem when a wild pig took he and the other rider down during a 1200-km brevet last year. He wasn't injured too severely but his stoker, Lara, spend several days in a hill country hospital with hip injuries. A rescue-type vehicle passed me and another rider as we were heading out of Marble Falls headed to the accident which we came upon about 45 minutes later.
Old 02-26-14, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have lots of feral pigs here near Ft Myers. They were let loose in the 16th century by the Spaniards. The local Hispanics still like them, but they won't go out and get them. They will tear up a yard so it looks plowed, and dig up fields so you can't run equipment in it.
Old 02-26-14, 09:41 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Came upon a crashed Mountain biker. It was apparent from his injuries he had grabbed his front brake hard and flew over the handlebars. Not a hint as to why he grabbed his brake. This story makes me wonder if he was spooked by an animal. The cyclist had a severe concusion and couldn't tell us anything about the accident.

Last edited by skilsaw; 02-26-14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 06:28 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wild hogs are a growing problem in the south east, very destructive. Several states have an open season on them ,they destroy the vegetation . They can be very aggressive when cornered.
Old 02-27-14, 09:02 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Sounds like it is time for some handlebar-mounted firepower!

I very narrowly missed hitting a Whitetail buck while on a motorcycle late one night. Just a 35mph road, but by the time I realized the "WTF is that (in my headlight)?" in my brain, I had grabbed a handful of brake and skidded past the buck at 15mph. Can you imagine hitting one at 40mph on a bicycle or even a motorcycle? Heck, I hit one with a car on a 55mph road, but had slowed to less than 20 before impact. $1600 damage to the car and I didn't even get any venison out of the encounter! I got out looking for the dead deer in the ditch, but it was standing in the front yard of a house 50yds away looking back at me before it ran off...

I hadn't hunted in years, but I got my 'Bambi revenge' over the next five years, come hunting season...
I struck a deer back in June going perhaps 60. $3500 of damage.

I've had some near misses on the bike, too.

Riding in the San Gabriels, there was a group of about 10 of us descending down from Redbox at ... oh ... 30 MPH or so. I was maybe 10 feet behind and 3 feet to the right of a guy on my left. A deer leaped into the road from the left, and ran across the road. Both of us missed it by oh ... a foot or so.

There was another group of 3 or 4 behind us, and one of them wasn't as lucky. Another deer appeared, and struck her back wheel, spun her around. She wasn't seriously hurt.

A friend of mine and I had another close call descending GMR. We came around a corner, and there were three deer in the shadow. The saw us, got spooked and ran directly in front of us. Jonathan missed one of em by maybe a foot.

Another friend hit a deer on GRR. He got pretty busted up.

All good reasons why no matter how skilled you are as a descender, it pays to keep your speed reasonable.

Old 02-27-14, 10:52 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5469 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Whenever a wild pig shows up around here people show up en masse and kill it/them. They don't stand a chance.
Old 02-27-14, 11:36 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
It is so common here to have cattle (and chickens) in the road, that you tend to watch your speed - I once was grinding up a long incline and looked to my right and there was a howler monkey keep pace with me, and he was moving slowly along a fence, just watching me sweat.
Old 02-27-14, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
It is so common here to have cattle (and chickens) in the road, that you tend to watch your speed - I once was grinding up a long incline and looked to my right and there was a howler monkey keep pace with me, and he was moving slowly along a fence, just watching me sweat.
He was just waiting for you to conk so he could grab your bike and make off with it.
Old 02-27-14, 01:28 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
He was just waiting for you to conk so he could grab your bike and make off with it.
Yep, I bet he figured it would be much better for attracting a mate than howling in the mornings...