Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

St Petersburg Pinellas questions

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-03-14, 12:40 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

My wife and I are staying on the Southern tip of Treasure Island next week and will probably bike into the downtown bay area of St. Petes. I am not familiar with the neighborhoods on the way over but have read that south of Central is rough. Would I be better riding on Central itself (which Google shows as a bike route) or on the Pinellas Trail that runs a bit south of Central? Also, how is Pinellas north of there going toward Clearwater? I read a few years ago about some robberies on Pinellas - still a problem or overstated? We are used to riding in urban locations but are not reckless.
Old 03-03-14, 04:16 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 84 Posts
I would start somewhere in the northern part of St. Petersburg. They are still having problems on the trail but SPPD has beefed up patrols in the area. Your most dangerous area along the trail, traffic wise, is through Clearwater, since it goes through downtown. Largo may also be pretty heavy on traffic. In my opinion, the best part of the route is between Dunedin north to Tarpon Springs.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-03-14, 04:20 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
In my opinion, the best part of the route is between Dunedin north to Tarpon Springs.
I agree with John_V 100% this is indeed the nicest part of the trail. Plus while in Dunedin enjoy some great dinning. If you have time take the side trip onto Honeymoon Island and the state park. Park at the trail head, lock up the bikes and take a hike

Here are a few pics:

The first pic is of the trail heading to Honeymoon Island State Park. The second is of part of the Pinellas trail in downtown Clearwater. The third is near a park past Dunedin and the final shot is leaving Honeymoon Island State Park. It's a great trip. With all the bridges on the Pinellas you can get a work out not found on many rail trails in FLAT Florida.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HMI1.jpg (97.3 KB, 10 views)
pthought.jpg (95.0 KB, 13 views)
p1.jpg (102.0 KB, 10 views)
hmi2.jpg (99.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by DowneasTTer; 03-03-14 at 05:04 PM. Reason: adding the pics
Old 03-03-14, 06:09 PM
John_V 

Oh! If you've never been to Tarpon Springs, you can ride up to the sponge docks and have some really good and very authentic Greek food. There are lots of shops to visit (it's a tourist town) and you can take some sponge boat and dolphin tours. You'll just need to lock your bikes up real secure.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-03-14, 07:24 PM
Rogan

Bikes: Trek 8.4DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also continue on past Tarpon Springs all the way to the Southeast part of Lake Tarpon at John Chestnut park. A very nice ride on the Trail with less congestion than you will see going from Dunedin to Tarpon Springs.
Old 03-03-14, 08:51 PM
donheff

Thanks for the responses so far. I know the northern end of the trail and hope to ride up to Tarpon Springs if we get a chance. We did that on a previous trip. But I am staying way down south this year and am curious whether it would be reasonable to ride across St Pete on Central or the southern part of the trail to the downtown bay area. I was hoping someone was familiar with that area.
Old 03-04-14, 06:40 AM
howard9071

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I ride from St Petersburg to Treasure Island often. I am hearing about more problems but security has been stepped up. Please do not be on the trail after dark. Be careful on Central Ave too, but I do think it would be less likely to be mugged but more likely to be hit by a car. Be careful and be aware, just like anywhere else.
Old 03-04-14, 01:13 PM
VELOGLOCK

Bikes: 2007 Trek Navigator 3.0 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, once you get over the T.I. causeway Central ave./107 ave. there is no bike lane. You will have to go one block south to 1st. ave. south (one-way eastbound with bike lane)
return to T.I. on 1st. ave. north (one-way westbound w/bike lane).

There have been "incidents/assaults along the trail over the years from St. Pete up to Tarpon, usually few and far between, however there has been some of that activity recently
which you're referring to , SPPD made an arrest last week in one case, a fifty year old man no less. That's why I never leave home without a little something in my pocket. All in all
you should be O.K. if you stick to the road in St. Pete.

If you depart T.I. and go south to the Pinellas Bayway go east and follow the signs to Ft. Desoto Park is always a nice ride along Tampa Bay or the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 03-14-14, 03:01 PM
donheff

Just a followup. We rode downtown to lunch and back using the 1st St bike lanes off Central. Very nice route across town. We also rode the Pinellas Trail north to Clearwater - also nice. No Tarpon Springs this year.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 03-15-14, 01:03 PM
John_V 

Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Just a followup. We rode downtown to lunch and back using the 1st St bike lanes off Central. Very nice route across town. We also rode the Pinellas Trail north to Clearwater - also nice. No Tarpon Springs this year.

Thanks for the suggestions
Well, you'll just have to come back down here next year and do the Tarpon Springs trip.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-15-14, 01:06 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
Well, you'll just have to come back down here next year and do the Tarpon Springs trip.

+1 The Clearwater Tarpon Springs part is the BEST part of the trail.