Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gotta Surly LHTD

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gotta Surly LHTD

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 07:27 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun with your new ride!

After 3 years, I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......there better be a noticeable improvement or you're gonna hear about it :-)

I did have the extra brake levers installed which I really like and I went to 26X1.85 tires.
Old 03-13-14, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ChargerDawg
I still don't understand how you ride with bar end shifters.
I use my pinky fingers. I guess it's been 10 or 12 years since I rebuilt my retro grouch bike. I wanted to minimize maintenance so I decided to use bar end friction shifters rather than brifters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
retro grouch bike 001.jpg (96.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-13-14, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

I use my pinky fingers. I guess it's been 10 or 12 years since I rebuilt my retro grouch bike. I wanted to minimize maintenance so I decided to use bar end friction shifters rather than brifters.
Nice bike. I like this little touch

Old 03-13-14, 09:01 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Nice bike. I like this little touch

Old 03-14-14, 06:44 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A couple of years ago I got a yen for a touring bike. I don't do the heavy duty touring that many of you do, more what they call credit card touring. I also wanted to build it up myself. I ordered a Salsa Casseroll frame and fitted it out with an Ultegra group. its a 10 speed cassett3, 11-32, double crankset. Has matching honey colored Brooks B-17 and honey leather bar wraps. It is a ride that increases in pleasure the more I ride it. Mostly ride my Specialized Roubaix but many days I just want a change and the Salsa does the trick with a comfortable touring geometry. The satisfaction of having built it allows me to be in tune with anything that is amiss with the gearing and other parts.
Old 03-14-14, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
The OP hasn't returned since posting. I'm assuming she's out riding and enjoying her bike.
That's seem kind of like what should be happening.
Old 03-14-14, 08:59 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChargerDawg
I still don't understand how you ride with bar end shifters.

Go for the cross check or pacer, or another bike with brifters.
I have a Trek 520 with the bar end shifters. I like them as they are designed for a touring bike and are more dependable than the STI brakes and cheaper to repair.
Old 03-14-14, 03:02 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
A couple of years ago I got a yen for a touring bike. I don't do the heavy duty touring that many of you do, more what they call credit card touring. I also wanted to build it up myself. I ordered a Salsa Casseroll frame and fitted it out with an Ultegra group. its a 10 speed cassett3, 11-32, double crankset. Has matching honey colored Brooks B-17 and honey leather bar wraps. It is a ride that increases in pleasure the more I ride it. Mostly ride my Specialized Roubaix but many days I just want a change and the Salsa does the trick with a comfortable touring geometry. The satisfaction of having built it allows me to be in tune with anything that is amiss with the gearing and other parts.
My '12 Casseroll has an 11-34, the standard build triple 48-36-26, the black Brooks Imperial, and 28mm tires. I didn't build it, so I can't be quite in tune like you are, but I love the ride. Very smooth on most roads, reasonable even over some nasty rough stuff, and comfortable for those long rides. With the low gearing, the nasty climbs I like don't cause me to be worn out for the rest of the ride. And the price was right, I'm not sure I could get a nicer ride without spending a couple thousand more than I did. Too bad they don't make the Casseroll anymore.
Old 03-15-14, 05:41 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blt
My '12 Casseroll has an 11-34, the standard build triple 48-36-26, the black Brooks Imperial, and 28mm tires. I didn't build it, so I can't be quite in tune like you are, but I love the ride. Very smooth on most roads, reasonable even over some nasty rough stuff, and comfortable for those long rides. With the low gearing, the nasty climbs I like don't cause me to be worn out for the rest of the ride. And the price was right, I'm not sure I could get a nicer ride without spending a couple thousand more than I did. Too bad they don't make the Casseroll anymore.
I agree,a comfortable ride indeed and the price for the fully fitted out bike was more than reasonable. By building it, I spent about double, but I always wanted to build a bike and I was in the market for a touring bike so it all worked out. Enjoy your Casseroll, I believe it will become a sought after classic if it isn't already.
Old 03-16-14, 10:40 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Do like my two good friends who will leave St. Augustine, Florida for San Diego, California Saturday morning on their Disc Truckers. I helped them set the bikes up with Ortlieb panniers and SKS fenders. Great bikes for loaded touring.
What route are they taking? Do they plan to ride all the way across Texas?
Old 03-16-14, 10:47 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OP hasn't returned since posting. I'm assuming she's out riding and enjoying her bike.
The OP has indeed been getting in some saddle time but she's a HE!! Typos can really do nasty thing's to a guys image!

Notice that Tom was good enough to get my gender straightened out for me!

Last edited by Louis Le Tour; 03-18-14 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 03:54 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad you are getting in some saddle time, but with your screen name the gender problem will be a constant thing, probably. Anywho, its nice to hear from you, how about a riding report and a few pics of the bicycle, that is a tradition here. Also, don't forget the first ride pie and just keep riding and smiling.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-17-14, 06:53 AM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Louise Le Tour
The OP has indeed been getting in some saddle time but she's a HE!! Typos can really do nasty thing's to a guys image!
Sorry but I thought Louise Le Tour sounded female. Still glad to hear you're riding. Typo?
Old 03-17-14, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a video in case you didn't see the addition to my original post.

https://vimeo.com/89279831 (updated 3-18-14)

Last edited by Louis Le Tour; 03-18-14 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 08:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA
Have fun with your new ride!After 3 years, I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......there better be a noticeable improvement or you're gonna hear about it :-)I did have the extra brake levers installed which I really like and I went to 26X1.85 tires.
I see the Tektro brakes are the older type, I've got disc brakes, I GUESS they're better (the guy who sold me the bike sed so!).
Old 03-17-14, 08:44 PM

Here's a video in case you didn't see the addition to my original post.

https://vimeo.com/home/page:1/filter...e/format:video
Link not working.
Old 03-17-14, 09:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Link not working.
It works fine for me. You may need to hold down "Ctrl" and "Alt" simultaneously with clicking on the link.
Old 03-17-14, 09:07 PM

It works fine for me. You may need to hold down "Ctrl" and "Alt" simultaneously with clicking on the link.
You need to post a public link.
Old 03-18-14, 06:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Anywho, its nice to hear from you, how about a riding report and a few pics of the bicycle, that is a tradition here. Also, don't forget the first ride pie and just keep riding and smiling.Bill
First ride pie?! OH MY!
Old 03-18-14, 06:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to post a public link.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to computers. Fill me in on what a "public link" is.
Old 03-18-14, 06:57 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......

I see the Tektro brakes are the older type, I've got disc brakes, I GUESS they're better (the guy who sold me the bike sed so!).
I checked out the Surly site and I see that the non-disc bakes on the current LHT are now Tektro CR720...

those guys must follow this forum...probably a lot of other folks in the biz do as well for input
Old 03-18-14, 08:24 AM

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to computers. Fill me in on what a "public link" is.
Use the share button (paper airplane icon) to get a public link. It will look more like :

https://vimeo.com/72673612

Last edited by BigAura; 03-18-14 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-18-14, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by lenA
I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......there better be a noticeable improvement or you're gonna hear about it :-)
I know you'll see some improvement with the CR720s. Personally I'd recommend switching to v-brakes. Canti's work, but v-brakes work better and are easier to adjust.
Old 03-18-14, 04:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry but I thought Louise Le Tour sounded female. Still glad to hear you're riding. Typo?
Tom fixed it for me, thank goodness!
Old 03-18-14, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the share button (paper airplane icon) to get a public link. It will look more like :

https://vimeo.com/72673612
Surly Long Haul Trucker touring bicycle with YAK trailer. on Vimeo I think that's it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.