Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

They laughed at me.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

They laughed at me.

Old 03-22-14, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Baggy shorts usually cause chaffing. Peanuts in the shell? They take up a lot of space, they take time to shell, they're messy and would not sit very well in most people's stomachs when riding, or running or any physical activity. And you belittle people who use packaged, or as you say "processed" food bars. There are an infinite number of food bars that are way more beneficial to eat during a ride than peanuts in a shell.

I think your comments here about other people's riding and eating decisions are a whole lot meaner that your description of the response you received. Sissy, plastic, processed, snot - you don't sound very mature or accepting of others.
Old 03-22-14, 10:48 AM

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retro grouch, can you strap a putter or 9 iron to your recumbent that will explain the baggy knickers, preferably plaid knickers.
Old 03-22-14, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Baggy shorts usually cause chaffing. Peanuts in the shell? They take up a lot of space, they take time to shell, they're messy and would not sit very well in most people's stomachs when riding, or running or any physical activity. And you belittle people who use packaged, or as you say "processed" food bars. There are an infinite number of food bars that are way more beneficial to eat during a ride than peanuts in a shell.

I think your comments here about other people's riding and eating decisions are a whole lot meaner that your description of the response you received. Sissy, plastic, processed, snot - you don't sound very mature or accepting of others.
Yup, and those are people who I posted that I like.
Old 03-22-14, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Yup, and those are people who I posted that I like.

Old 03-22-14, 04:32 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
The only time I've regretted loose shorts is when a bee flew up my pants leg once and got trapped inside. I've got some tight shorts but I've promised myself to do a sub 6 hour century again before I'll wear them again along with my old Dettos.
Old 03-22-14, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I'm surprised they held it back as long as they did!
Old 03-23-14, 07:54 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
retro

Anyone that has read my posts know that I think everyone should ride what he wants, anywhere he wants, at what ever speed he wants, and wear what ever he wants, and not worry about what anyone else thinks. Why should anyone be dictated to, its your life, live it in a way that you want to.

I ride my LWB bent and trike wearing wicking T-shirts I get from my club events, and rugby shorts that are black. I guess I have never gotten any comment on what I wear. BTW this is my summer attire anyway. All I have to do to bike is put on my cycling shoes and helmet, and im off for an enjoyable ride. If my bike or attire offends anyone they are free to look the other way. Have a nice day, your mileage may vary.
Old 03-23-14, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent
retro

Anyone that has read my posts know that I think everyone should ride what he wants, anywhere he wants, at what ever speed he wants, and wear what ever he wants, and not worry about what anyone else thinks. Why should anyone be dictated to, its your life, live it in a way that you want to.
If I was really sensitive about the whole episode I certainly wouldn't have posted it here. If they didn't like me I doubt anybody would have mentioned it.

For the record, I'm all out of peanuts and looking for a place to buy more. I really like the knickers for this kind of weather even if I think they do look a little bit goofy. By the next time I ride with this group it will be shorts weather so I'll be wearing my baggy recumbent shorts with the zipper pockets. They'll probably laugh at them too. That's OK with me.
Old 03-23-14, 08:37 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I never did care much what others thought of what I wear when I'm riding. I pick what suits me at any given time, Fredly or not. When I spend an afternoon touring the lakes country, I'll often wear trekking or jean shorts over cycling liners, athletic t-shirts and MTB shoes that look like regular athletic shoes. Once I take off my helmet, I blend in with the locals and feel more comfortable sitting around the deck at the local resort or café for lunch. Like RG I also tend to avoid "sports" bars, gels, etc. in favor of foods like cookies and granola bars (though I've never done peanuts in the shell on a ride).

I've got both road and MTB jerseys as well as cycling shorts and bibs that I wear on group rides, organized cycling events, etc. but don't feel the need to kit up every time I make a run to the grocery store for a quart of milk.

A true story I like to tell is of a guy I know in the area who would make Fred Birchmore (RIP) proud. He rides an old Schwinn (can't recall right now if it's a Traveler or Continental) that is 90% stock. He rides in jeans and t-shirts with athletic shoes. His helmet is a motorcycle half helmet. Two years ago he joined our team for the Tour de Cure. Some unkind individuals chuckled at him and made rude comments behind his back. It was an unusually windy day and got worse later in the ride. Many of the riders who had signed up for the 100 mile route bailed at the 50 mile turnoff. More of them bailed at the 75 mile point (which was actually about an 80-mile course). The guy in the motorcycle helmet and jeans finished the 80-mile loop with a respectable time, well ahead of some who had been laughing at him earlier. It's not about the bike, it's not about the clothes, it's about the rider.
Old 03-23-14, 08:41 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5442 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 236 Posts
I like peanuts in the shell because you can't eat them fast like you can shelled nuts.
Got to watch my weight.
Old 03-23-14, 08:49 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
..... They weren't wearing skin tight sissy lycra shorts, however, they were wearing skin tight even sissier lycra TIGHTS! IN PUBLIC!

They were eating those plastic food bars too. At least nobody was sucking on those "super snot" power jell thingies.
I usually wear my "sissy lycra shorts" under my "sissier lycra TIGHTS".... you know... when the weather is too cool for the sissy shorts alone. But no way am I going to eat a "pretend" candy bar because it promises to build me muscles.

An orange or banana in it's natural wrapper sounds OK. Could peanuts in the shell be much different?
Old 03-23-14, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sknhgy
I like peanuts in the shell because you can't eat them fast like you can shelled nuts.
Got to watch my weight.
Yeah, I can bolt down hands fulls of shelled peanuts in no time at all. Taking time to shell them definitely holds down my calorie intake. Kind of messy to eat indoors. Out doors they're OK because the shells are bio-degradable.
Old 03-23-14, 11:57 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yeah, I can bolt down hands fulls of shelled peanuts in no time at all. Taking time to shell them definitely holds down my calorie intake. Kind of messy to eat indoors. Out doors they're OK because the shells are bio-degradable.
The 'natural way' to eat peanuts is to just pop the whole thing in your mouth, shell and all, chew thoroughly, and then swallow. Good exercise for the mouth and lots of fiber for the gut.
Disclaimer: I have not personally tried this technique.
Old 03-23-14, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
They laughed at me.

Don't do that. Pooping peanut shells is not a good thing.

Old 03-23-14, 12:39 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
The 'natural way' to eat peanuts is to just pop the whole thing in your mouth, shell and all, chew thoroughly, and then swallow. Good exercise for the mouth and lots of fiber for the gut.
Disclaimer: I have not personally tried this technique.
I eat the shell and the peanuts... No problem with the outcome either.
Old 03-23-14, 01:31 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A friend had these once

Uncle Buds Deep Fried Peanuts

fried peanuts in the shell. You eat the whole deal. They were delicious.
Old 03-23-14, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I stopped to chat with a guy riding a recumbent road bike last fall and he let me try it out. Crazy skitish, light and fast - and nothing to laugh at for sure, except for me weaving all over the place. But the baggy knickers ... that I don't get. Don't they fill up with air like parachutes slowing you down? It's the reason I wear lycra or neoprene over my board shorts when I waterski - only instead of air it's the 50 gallons of water that they fill up with when you start that I'm trying to avoid. How's that for a mental image? No pics - sorry.
Old 03-23-14, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
It is possible indeed. However, do you really want to be 'mainstream'?

OMG, I nearly peed in my bibs when I saw that!
Old 03-23-14, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Ya think? If we're honest with ourselves, we gotta admit that we look pretty ridiculous sometimes.

Thanks for the laugh, RetroG.
Speak for yourself bro..I look uber cool in my riding kit!
Old 03-23-14, 02:28 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=eja_ bottecchia;16603973]OMG, I nearly peed in my bibs when I saw that![/QUOTE

If you were on your bike when that happened, then you are ready to try a triathlon.
Old 03-23-14, 06:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
In the SHELL??

PS Oh I HATE boiled peanuts-disgusting abuse of peanuts
I'm trying to imagine how you could possibly be any more wrong, but I can't. You obviously ain't from around here. Loves me some bald ****ers. But only boiled green peanuts which are only available while peanuts are in season. Boiled dried peanuts are disgusting and worthy of your comment.
Old 03-23-14, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
OMG, I nearly peed in my bibs when I saw that!

Old 03-24-14, 09:04 AM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm trying to imagine how you could possibly be any more wrong, but I can't. You obviously ain't from around here. Loves me some bald ****ers. But only boiled green peanuts which are only available while peanuts are in season. Boiled dried peanuts are disgusting and worthy of your comment.

Milledgeville, what a beautiful place! And so right you are, boiled peanuts are best purchased in small brown bags from older black women at roadside stands and pair best with a cold soda of choice. They are not very aero nor would they win any points on a weight weenie challenge, but dayum they is good!
Old 03-24-14, 09:40 AM

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The best peanuts in the world..............

Wakefield Peanut Company LLC
Old 03-24-14, 09:46 AM

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Popeyecahn
Milledgeville, what a beautiful place! And so right you are, boiled peanuts are best purchased in small brown bags from older black women at roadside stands and pair best with a cold soda of choice. They are not very aero nor would they win any points on a weight weenie challenge, but dayum they is good!
I never learned the proper way to eat boiled peanuts and would like to try them but, I don't know how to eat them. Do you eat the shell? Do you eat them hot! Since I love everything else made with peanuts I figure I'd like them too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.