Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Made the leap to a road bike at 51 and I'm glad I did. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/939907-made-leap-road-bike-51-im-glad-i-did.html)

aubiecat 03-24-14 10:10 PM

Made the leap to a road bike at 51 and I'm glad I did.

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased a Condor Superbird from Bikes Direct and I am very happy with it. My transaction with Bikes Direct went smooth. The Ultegra 6800 group is like butter. The Mavic wheels are very nice and it even came with Jagwire cables. I plan on changing the Tektro calipers out later so the bike will be a complete Ultegra 6800 group. I replaced the torture device, A.K.A. a stock saddle, with a Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio saddle and what difference that made. ;)
To do any real distance riding in my area I have to spend a significant amount of time on rough chip sill roads. The Mavic 700x23 tires were just beating me to death. I changed them out for some 700x28 Continental GatorSkins. That made a big difference in how the bike handles these roads.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=370806

I agonized over this purchase because there was a lot involved. I wasn't going to buy from a bike shop because the nearest "LBS" is 50 miles away and I do my own wrenching. I was worried whether my body would adapt to the aggressive position. The frame size was an extra worry because for my height I needed a 54cm frame but for my inseam I needed a 52cm frame. I also wanted to be able to do my own fitting.
I have had no major problems with the aggressive position. Nothing time in the saddle, yoga and stretching won't cure. The first thing I did when I pulled the bike out of the box was put the front wheel and stand over the frame. To my relief the stand over height was acceptable to the boys. I used the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator to help me get the fit and for the most part it was right on. The seat was too low to start with but I have that worked out now. I turned the stem over to give me more of a endurance stance for those upcoming century rides. This bike is a good value and made it easier to purchase all the extras you need when you apply the N+1 rule.
My first ride was humorous. I thought I was going to fall over the handlebars and the brakes were in a weird spot. :lol:
In the end all the gnashing of teeth was worth it. It's a great feeling when I'm on a flat road, get down in the drops and put the hammer down. This bike accelerates so fast I sometimes feel like I'm on a rocket. :D

OldTryGuy 03-25-14 03:19 AM

I see many century rides in your future. Have fun. :thumb:

NOS88 03-25-14 05:03 AM

Sounds like you're hooked.

qcpmsame 03-25-14 05:05 AM

That sounds like a winner of an N+1 to me. No problems with the choice of BD for a bicycle purchase, that choice is personal and with your living 50 miles from an LBS it is understandable. Glad that you got everything set up and sized to fit you, now the miles can roll on. The Gatorskins are a great choice, I installed them (700X25) in place of Schwalbe Lugano 23's and enjoy them, flat free to date. Not too shabby for an AU guy.

Now, we need to know what Pie you chose after the first ride, that is a 50+ requirement you know.

Bill

aubiecat 03-25-14 06:55 AM

Hmm, on one of my favorite long distance rides there is a great little cafe out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to get some pie and may even throw in a scoop of ice cream just celebrate.

OldsCOOL 03-25-14 08:48 AM

Glad you found your ride. Now, get your knees in the breeze. :)

rck 03-25-14 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by aubiecat (Post 16608976)
Hmm, on one of my favorite long distance rides there is a great little cafe out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to get some pie and may even throw in a scoop of ice cream just celebrate.

That would require photographic evidence.

Rick@OCRR 03-25-14 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by aubiecat (Post 16608976)

Little cafe's in the middle of nowhere usually have excellent pie!

Rick / OCRR

berner 03-25-14 04:09 PM

I happy everything has worked out for you. Whatever difficulties you may encounter, miles in the saddle will be the cure. I found that with accumulating miles, whatever comfort issues arose, I had a fair idea how to resolve the issue. I also found that as my cycling fitness changed, what worked previously, suddenly no longer worked. This means that the best fit is an ongoing process. Congratulations!

Cougrrcj 03-25-14 08:52 PM

Pic of the pie is required here in the 50+ forum! ;) If you get around to it, a pic of the bike is welcome as well... :D

Wildwood 03-26-14 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by aubiecat (Post 16608411)
This bike accelerates so fast I sometimes feel like I'm on a rocket. :D

Congrats on the bike and good fit.
That rocket power comes from the engine.
As one famous American cyclist said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster"; or something close to that.
Have fun, listen to your body and keep the rubber side down.

edit: and contrary to popular 50+ opinion - pie is not a requirement except on Pi Day.:lol:

qcpmsame 03-26-14 05:18 AM

In summation:50:, the 50+ will require a first ride report (or your first as a member, all ride reports will be devoured and oohed and ahhed over:p.) Pictures of your bicycle(s), pictures of your bicycle on rides, pictures of all N+1 bicycles and pictures of rides. Pie reports are mandatory along with pie pictures as proof:D, and schedule your colonoscopy:eek: of you haven't already had one (no pictures are solicited:rolleyes: or desired:notamused:.)

Welcome to the 50+, again, where is your town located in Alabama? I'm down near Atmore on the western border, Florida side by 3 miles.

Bill

Dudelsack 03-26-14 07:25 AM

51 is really young. It's like you still have 40% of your life ahead of you.

aubiecat 03-26-14 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 16612248)
Congrats on the bike and good fit.
That rocket power comes from the engine.
As one famous American cyclist said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster"; or something close to that.
Have fun, listen to your body and keep the rubber side down.

edit: and contrary to popular 50+ opinion - pie is not a requirement except on Pi Day.http://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/lol.gif

I started back riding in August, on a gravel grinder, and have been working to improve the engine's power. When I moved from a 30 lbs bike to an 18lbs bike it was exhilarating.
I've been doing YogaX :twitchy: from the P90X series, it's improved my flexibility and strength.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 16612339)

Welcome to the 50+, again, where is your town located in Alabama? I'm down near Atmore on the western border, Florida side by 3 miles.

Bill

Alexander City is in east central Alabama. Lots of good, mildly hilly country roads to ride on. The further out I get the better I like it. I don't know why that is but it's true for me.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16612550)
51 is really young. It's like you still have 40% of your life ahead of you.

That means I've got time to wear out a couple sets of tires. :)

jimmuller 03-26-14 10:13 AM

:thumb: No matter what anyone says, the road bike is king, for it takes you to those little place in the middle of nowhere where you can get some awesome pie.

Cycle Babble 03-26-14 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 16612339)
.......schedule your colonoscopy:eek: of you haven't already had one (no pictures are solicited:rolleyes: or desired:notamused:.)Bill

Bill,
Not to hyjack this thread..but I had a female doctor for my colonoscopy last week who said everything looked fine. Of course I immediately reported to my wife that not only did she say I had a nice fanny, but my flatulation was music to her ears and then she gave me her phone number:love:.

My wife :rolleyes: was not as impressed as I was.

John S

JanMM 03-26-14 07:41 PM

'Made the leap to a road bike at 51 and I'm glad I did.'

Made the leap to recumbent bikes at 56 and I'm glad I did........but I understand what you're talking about. Finding a bike or bikes that works for you and encourages you to ride where you haven't been before is the ticket.

Wileyrat 03-27-14 09:07 PM

Congrats!!!!

I bought a BD Motmbecane mtn bike in Nov, and I've been happy with it. No issues with where I got it from, and when it becomes new road bike time, I'll look seriously at BD again.

Now for the pie issue.....I've been here for a bit, and nobody told me after ride pie was mandatory. :mad:

IknowURider 03-27-14 09:31 PM

I am 51 as well, been riding since '72. I think you are in the groove, brother. Allez!

VACaver 03-29-14 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 16618572)
Congrats!!!!

I bought a BD Motmbecane mtn bike in Nov, and I've been happy with it. No issues with where I got it from, and when it becomes new road bike time, I'll look seriously at BD again.

Now for the pie issue.....I've been here for a bit, and nobody told me after ride pie was mandatory. :mad:

I bought a Gravity Liberty 1 from BD last August and have put 1600 miles on it since then. I'd have no problem buying from BD again.