Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Platform Pedals, how many of you old farts use them?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Platform Pedals, how many of you old farts use them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On toe clips with straps, didn't like these since the strap was either to wide or narrow or dropping down to make entry a little difficult depending on shoe style. I would rather use the toe clips without the strap on good platform pedals.

But, I've switched all my bikes; road, single speed, commuter, mountain to clipless pedals. I like clipping in and felling connected to every pedal stroke. I also don't have any problems with limited float, where I know others that do. A co-worker is bow legged and dialing in cleat angles is extremely difficult and painful. If I were him, I wouldn't bother with clipless.

Even though I prefer and use clipless, if I'm being honest here, I still have difficulty clipping in quickly after stopping some of the time. It's not always as intuitive as I'd like, where I need to look down one in awhile to clip in. Maybe I should have stayed with one pedal type, as I'm using both SPD_SL and Time Atac on different bikes.
Old 03-31-14, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I ride for convenience, so platforms are the only route for me. Hourses for courses and all that.
Old 03-31-14, 02:34 PM

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my first set of clip-ins (still refusing to call them clipless) about 6 months ago after getting my new bike. I rode the new bike for about a month before to get a baseline. I wanted to see if they lived up to the hype for me (YMMV). This is what I found

1. Since I had over 40 years with Platforms the learning curve was tough for me. At one point in time I wasn't sure that they were for me as I had a great deal of trouble unclipping. However it turned out that for some reason my foot doesn't work like most and I have to unclip by turning my heel towards the bike instead of away (as most of the reviews/videos I saw suggested). Yeah I fell a bunch but mostly in the grass in the backyard when I was practicing

2. I do not believe that I am any faster in overall speed on level terrain with clipins compared to platforms

3. Clipins do make it easier to climb and possibly to go longer distances (not sure about this). I have less problems with my left foot cramping than I did with platforms over long distances (this is a personal problem related to multiple knee surgeries)

So I'm glad I got them for the bike I ride now mainly for recreation (weekend rides 30-40 miles at a pop generally for me). My old steel with the platforms will remain that way as it is my commute bike and it's easier both for all the stops and less stuff to carry to work.
Old 03-31-14, 02:49 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
They're hip enough to have Reproductions made Now MKS, Jpn, & WI California
The only problem with the reproductions is that they don't work with slotted cleats.
Old 03-31-14, 03:07 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
youngsters use Vans ..

sold My Sidi Kangaroo shoes just not a kitted up to wear all that anymore .. wonderful shoes

Campag Quill pedals went on the cranks for my 3 long tours

The shoe had a slot in the sole, but I got it built up so I could walk in them [the get off and push-bike gear]

a custom shoe repair shop collaboration fit was sloppy so my foot was comfortable in the shoe no hotfoot or tingles.

room for warm sox, and supportive insoles (my fave: Birkenstock 3/4 length ..for Boots, cork composite)
Old 03-31-14, 04:25 PM

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Interesting thread! Like some others have stated, I use platform pedals with strapless toeclips on both my road bike and hybrid. In fact, they're the same pedals (stock Trek) and toeclips ($5 from REI) on both bikes.

It seems to me the toeclips gives me proper position on the pedal (and prevents sliding off) and allows me to off-weight my feet from the pedals for proper spinning (well, at least as proper as I can manage). So I'm curious how much more advantage I'd get from clip-ins.

I'm sort of attracted to the Shimano Click'R pedals and shoes -- they seem forgiving in terms of float and quick release, and have shoes you can actually walk in. But then I wonder if that "system" would be worth the money (given that I already have 10 bucks invested in toe clips!!) -- and I wonder if I'd miss just hopping on the bike in "regular" shoes and not having the toe-clip advantage.

Yes, I obviously think too much. But I am curious if anyone has gone from strapless toe clips to clip-ins, and whether it was a life-altering experience for them (or at least made them feel like they could climb better).

Thanks!
Old 03-31-14, 04:38 PM
Aspiring Fred

Bikes: 91 Alex Moulton Speed, Brompton P6L-X, 2014 Synapse Hi-Mod, Lemond Poprad, Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Lightning SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
They're hip enough to have Reproductions made Now MKS, Jpn, & WI California
Have the MKS ones with the quick disconnect couplers on the Brompton and the Whites Industries versions on both Wabis, all with clips and straps. Add a pair of FiveTen shoes with sticky soles and I don't miss clipless pedals at all.
Old 03-31-14, 04:47 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Anything off road I use pinned platforms and sticky shoes. I have Crank BROS on my road bike. I like the looks is distain from the elite minded roadies. 99% don't care, but some can't keep it to themselves.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 03-31-14, 06:59 PM
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use platforms on my commuter to avoid the shoe change thing, but I prefer clipless. Another point I might bring out, I commute 5 or 6 days a week, I (we) road ride or tour much less often than that. I find the platforms really dig into my spinning muscle memory. It takes some real effort to get the higher cadence back up.
R&J
Old 03-31-14, 07:55 PM

Bikes: '79 CIOCC, '80 Cinelli, '86 DeRosa, '93 Bianchi EL-OS, '13 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
i use clipless and clips/straps... clipless on my CF bike and clips/straps on my vintage bikes... i prefer clips/straps... unlike clipless, you can actually walk when you get there... and they are so nice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cinelli 006.jpg (76.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-31-14, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
On toe clips with straps, didn't like these since the strap was either to wide or narrow or dropping down to make entry a little difficult depending on shoe style. I would rather use the toe clips without the strap on good platform pedals.

But, I've switched all my bikes; road, single speed, commuter, mountain to clipless pedals. I like clipping in and felling connected to every pedal stroke. I also don't have any problems with limited float, where I know others that do. A co-worker is bow legged and dialing in cleat angles is extremely difficult and painful. If I were him, I wouldn't bother with clipless.

Even though I prefer and use clipless, if I'm being honest here, I still have difficulty clipping in quickly after stopping some of the time. It's not always as intuitive as I'd like, where I need to look down one in awhile to clip in. Maybe I should have stayed with one pedal type, as I'm using both SPD_SL and Time Atac on different bikes.
This invoked a mental image, one that I realize is a bit absurd but when I think about it ... I always stop with my right foot down. Never the left foot. For awhile I was cinching up the left and keeping the right loose. So what about clipless on the left foot, half-clips or platform on the right? It seems like you'd get half of the alleged benefits of clipless without any of the alleged drawbacks. Has anyone actually given this idea a real try?
Old 04-01-14, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've tried them all.

Rat traps, spuds (spd's) nylon toe clips with no straps, but now I've settled on wide pinned platforms.

Cheapo Wellgo LU 987U flat pedals £10,suit me fine as I've wide feet, like the old BMX pedals of the 80's, use them with soft sticky soled skateboarding shoes. The wife doesn't approve of my skateboard shoes, who cares I'm 60 soon.

Beic
Old 04-01-14, 01:25 PM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always liked rat-traps. Plain and simple.
Old 04-01-14, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
You are right to be concerned about your "bones" since we all slow down in our ability to move quickly.

I,too, have long since stopped using clipless due to slow reflexes. Platforms with studs or rubber tread works best for me now.

oh yes, one point that really ticks me off is those who ride clipless trying to shove their love of the damn things as a end all be all pedal to other riders here. Ride what you like..........
Really? I'd say the dogmatism in this thread, if any, is pretty evenly split -- possibly even trending the other way.

However, I agree ... "ride what you like". No reason other than personal preference for any non-pro to be riding one pedal system rather than another; I like clipless, many don't. Who cares?
Old 04-01-14, 03:11 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Really? I'd say the dogmatism in this thread, if any, is pretty evenly split -- possibly even trending the other way.

However, I agree ... "ride what you like". No reason other than personal preference for any non-pro to be riding one pedal system rather than another; I like clipless, many don't. Who cares?
+1 best post by far
Old 04-01-14, 05:02 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
This invoked a mental image, one that I realize is a bit absurd but when I think about it ... I always stop with my right foot down. Never the left foot. For awhile I was cinching up the left and keeping the right loose. So what about clipless on the left foot, half-clips or platform on the right? It seems like you'd get half of the alleged benefits of clipless without any of the alleged drawbacks. Has anyone actually given this idea a real try?
I'd think this would produce a pretty serious imbalance in the way you used your legs, and that this would invite injury.
Old 04-01-14, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'd think this would produce a pretty serious imbalance in the way you used your legs, and that this would invite injury.
How so? It doesn't work that way with straps.
Old 04-01-14, 06:28 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Uh-----------------------maybe we should define "old fart" here, before we talk about pedals.
Old 04-01-14, 10:18 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
How so? It doesn't work that way with straps.
Sure, what do I know? I've never tried it. It just seemed to me that the pedal stroke would be different for the two legs and that you'd be putting more strain on one than the other.
Old 04-02-14, 12:07 AM

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A number of folks have mentioned the discomfort of walking in clipless shoes, and I have to agree.

For training rides where cyclists stay on the bike from start to finish, ability to walk about probably doesn't matter. For tours and other less intense rides, being able to walk during stops matters quite a lot.

I'm curious about the problem of slipping off of platforms that have mentioned. Under what conditions does this happen? Are we talking about riding in rain or something else?
Old 04-02-14, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullwinkl360
In my younger years I used clipless pedals all the time. I have just in the past year taken up riding again and had three "tip overs" at stop signs because I couldn't get my feet un-clipped quickly enough. I fear my old bones are getting brittle (age 66) and was worried about breakage so I switched to mountain bike style platform pedals with studs. They are working well and I've had no falls since the switch, but some days I feel like a real puss for switching. Anyone else using platform pedals?
I use Answer Rove platform pedals:
Rove FR | Answer Products

Using these and Five Ten shoes, grip is incredible and riding is what it should be: wonderful!
Best regards
Old 04-02-14, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by lee kenney
Another day above ground on a bike, enjoy it , it is not about the pedals . I got 2 yrs+ on you , platforms , toe clips but no clipless . Puss is just a 4 letter word , go with life !
+1!
And just ride!

Best regards
Old 04-02-14, 08:33 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Since I rub elbows with stop and go rush hour motorists on a near daily basis, I like pinned platforms. There have been several instances in that if I had been clipped in, I would have ended up falling into fast moving traffic.
Old 04-02-14, 09:35 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=SwampDude;16633993]A number of folks have mentioned the discomfort of walking in clipless shoes, and I have to agree.

For training rides where cyclists stay on the bike from start to finish, ability to walk about probably doesn't matter. For tours and other less intense rides, being able to walk during stops matters quite a lot.

[/QUOTE

It really depends on what type of shoes one is wearing. SPD type shoes are quite easy to walk in, especially the mtb style as there is no exposed cleat. It is recessed into the shoe.. There is quite a bit of walking involved on Ragbrai, which I do every year, and I am quite comfortable wearing Shimano mtb style shoes. Just like wearing tennis shoes except a stiffer sole.
Old 04-02-14, 10:22 AM

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=crazyb;16634844]
Originally Posted by SwampDude
A number of folks have mentioned the discomfort of walking in clipless shoes, and I have to agree.

[/QUOTE

It really depends on what type of shoes one is wearing. SPD type shoes are quite easy to walk in, especially the mtb style as there is no exposed cleat. It is recessed into the shoe.. There is quite a bit of walking involved on Ragbrai, which I do every year, and I am quite comfortable wearing Shimano mtb style shoes. Just like wearing tennis shoes except a stiffer sole.
I gave away my SPD road bike shoes about 5 years ago after a bad fall. I've never tried mtb style.

Don't the recessed cleats make clipping in more difficult? I'm not being argumentative, just curious. Your shoes sound like a huge improvement compared to my Shimano SPDs, which were like walking with a rock attached to the bottom of each shoe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.