Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Platform Pedals, how many of you old farts use them?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-29-14, 04:32 PM
Bullwinkl360

Bikes: Cannondale R800 and Bud Light Mountain bike, Schwinn 564 and Raleigh Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my younger years I used clipless pedals all the time. I have just in the past year taken up riding again and had three "tip overs" at stop signs because I couldn't get my feet un-clipped quickly enough. I fear my old bones are getting brittle (age 66) and was worried about breakage so I switched to mountain bike style platform pedals with studs. They are working well and I've had no falls since the switch, but some days I feel like a real puss for switching. Anyone else using platform pedals?
Old 03-29-14, 05:17 PM
lee kenney

Bikes: ritcheys{2** rm blizzard Geo elrick drop frame and acollection of parts bikes in waiting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another day above ground on a bike, enjoy it , it is not about the pedals . I got 2 yrs+ on you , platforms , toe clips but no clipless . Puss is just a 4 letter word , go with life !
Old 03-29-14, 05:24 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll be 68 this year and ride my road bike with clipless pedals and my hybrid with platform pedals. My preference is clipless but if going back to clipless intimidates you to the point that you won't ride then platform pedals is the way to go.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-29-14, 05:24 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, 84 Stumpjumper, 2 Waterfords, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, looking for a Ti frame and Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I switched to clipless on all of my bikes.
Old 03-29-14, 05:29 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I'm using these, Nashbar Double Track Pedals - Mountain Bike Pedals, on my grabber. Great platform when needed and easy in and out when clipped in with sandals.
Old 03-29-14, 05:31 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use platforms on all my bikes, just cant seem to get comfortable with clipless. I tried toe straps on a ride today and decided I didn't really like using them. I guess I'm probably just stuck in my old ways and I really don't see any reason to change now.
Old 03-29-14, 06:13 PM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Platforms on my hybrid, clipless on my road bike.
Old 03-29-14, 06:46 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one should ever feel like a puss for doing what makes them feel comfortable so they can enjoy themselves. As long as you are out in the fresh air and getting exercise that is all that matters.
I personally use clipless and feel very comfortable with them.
I use Shimano PD-M540 SPD pedals and Shimano SH56 SPD cleats on my road bike. They clip in very easy and unclip very, very easy. As a matter of fact a few days ago I came to stop at an intersection and through a brain fart didn't unclip before I got there. When my bike came to complete halt I realized I hadn't unclipped and for a millisecond I thought "here I go" but my shoes came unclipped with no effort and my feet planted on the ground with no effort.
Just do what make you feel comfortable so you will be outside enjoying yourself.
Old 03-29-14, 06:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
No one should ever feel like a puss for doing what makes them feel comfortable so they can enjoy themselves. As long as you are out in the fresh air and getting exercise that is all that matters.
1. What aubiecat said.
2. Nobody else cares. They're not even looking.
Old 03-29-14, 06:52 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use clipless on my road bike, and platform with half clips on my mountain bike. I have a hard enough time staying upright on my mountain bike without complicating it by being connected to the pedal.
Old 03-29-14, 07:28 PM
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these

Nashbar Verge Platform Pedals - Bike Pedals / Cleats

I have 4E feet, so shoe selection is limited. I like these. I do not feel the spikes, but they do hold the shoes well, and let you pull back at the bottom of the stroke.

They are bushing, not ball bearing, so they dissipate a little more energy in friction, I am sure that is why I am so slow. Yep, that is it, the lost watt or two, probably 5 miles an hour right there.

Rod
Old 03-29-14, 07:40 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
***putting on my best Boris Badenov***
"Hey Moose, who you calling old fart?!"

I use them continuously and since the summer of 74. First, I'm no puss or wuss. I ride fast and hard 98% of the time. My favorite reason for clips is so I can have freedom to move my feet around on the longer rides. Maybe some year when I hit a power plateau I'll try clipping in.
Old 03-29-14, 07:40 PM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bought my Surly I told the sales guy that anything other than platforms just scared the live'n crap out of me!
Old 03-29-14, 07:51 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I ride clipless on my road bike but platform pedals with powergrips on my winter bike/commuter bike. Consider them - you can do something pretty close to spinning with them, but there's never a problem getting out of them in a hurry. in the winter when I occasionally stall out when traversing a poorly plowed street, I would never want to be clipped in, but the powergrips are just fine.

http://biketouringnews.com/wp-conten...ergrip-007.jpg

They're a little spendy, though.
Old 03-29-14, 07:53 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour View Post
When I bought my Surly I told the sales guy that anything other than platforms just scared the live'n crap out of me!
That's how a lot of us felt before we got used to them. I'm not saying you have to have them, but the fear is usually overcome with experience.
Old 03-29-14, 07:54 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have various platform style pedals on all of my bikes. Have tried various clipless types, like the platform.
Old 03-29-14, 08:04 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the first moment of riding clipless pedals I never wanted to go back. I'm far more afraid of my feet slipping off the pedals by accident than I am about getting unclipped in time. I've only ever fallen off from not unclipping once. That said, I ride mountain pedals/shoes because if I do come up slowly to a sketchy surface I like to unclip and stand on the pedal so I can step off. Road shoes don't seem to be much good for that. Honestly, I don't know how I could walk as a kid after riding for hours on platform pedals with flimsy sneakers. I've really gotten used to stiff-soled bike shoes.
Old 03-29-14, 09:03 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have clip less on road bike. Did a fair amount of practicing to create muscle memory. Said something like "brake" bike and "break out" of pedals when stopping. Did with each foot a dozen to 20 times. Then fell a few times by picking wrong side to clip out so doing both helps. Anyways if you want to ride faster and make better use of your pedal stroke clip less are best. Oh turn 69 in two weeks.

On hybrid have dual pedals so can clip in with bike shoes or use regular shoes. Also good for visitors who don't have bike shoes. End up using clip less most of the time but not always. This might be a good option so you have a choice and are not confined to just one or the other.
Old 03-29-14, 09:30 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Miami Biker View Post
Did with each foot a dozen to 20 times. Then fell a few times by picking wrong side to clip out so doing both helps.
I just decided from the outset that I would always clip out with my left foot. That way, there is no decision point and no moment of hesitation deciding which foot should move- when I need to clip out, the left foot moves without thinking. Once or twice I've found myself in a situation - leaning too far in the wrong direction whilst nearly at a stop, where I have to panic and clip out on the right to save my fall, but neither of those were the causes of my two Club Tombay initiations.
Old 03-29-14, 11:35 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a set of these due to get here any day now, picked them up used on the bay, about half price from new. I'm going to put them on my touring bike. We'll see how they work out. Amazon.com: MKS Lambda Pedals - 9/16", Silver: Sports & Outdoors
Old 03-30-14, 12:50 AM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have platform pedals on all of my bikes and no desire to go clipless.
Old 03-30-14, 12:54 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MKS Lambdas are nice pedals; I have them on my commute bike. They grip pretty well except when it's raining. They're not really slippery in the rain, just less grippy.
Old 03-30-14, 01:45 AM
yote223

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being as I'm usually wearing boots, hikers or sandals, I go old school.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0058[1].jpg (53.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-30-14, 02:55 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
All of my bikes have dual sided pedals, SPD/Platform. I like being clipped in, but I also do a lot of pleasure riding in athletic shoes, hikers, or sandals. It's great to have the option.
Old 03-30-14, 06:19 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
All of my bikes have dual sided pedals, SPD/Platform. I like being clipped in, but I also do a lot of pleasure riding in athletic shoes, hikers, or sandals. It's great to have the option.
+1 I also have a pair of sandals with spd clips -- nice for summer riding. One foot on the platform side is good when creeping along in traffic at a busy intersection and similar situations where you may need to put a foot down any second.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.