Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode much faster than usual last night, method not recommended as regular practice!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rode much faster than usual last night, method not recommended as regular practice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 06:46 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A 25 mile evening ride of about 14 cyclists with only one other medicare age old fart, my buddy Bob, started way late waiting on a straggler. Had hardly been out any time when my phone started chiming to announce text messages,which I ignored. Then it started ringing -- and I do leave the phone on for emergencies. I thought I had an understanding with my wife, don't text, don't call except for emergency when I am on the bike. Apparently not, which led to a heated discussion, to say the least. Meanwhile I am distracted and Bob and I get separated from the group. Fortunately we hooked up again soon. But by now I am pretty frustrated and angry and, guess what? Normally I ride back middle with the security of a couple of much slower riders such that when the lead riders stop to regroup I will not be the last one they are waiting for. But I was so pissed off it was energizing. At times here I am pushing my platform pedals and hanging on to flat bars AHEAD of all these young guys and gals. There is one spot where the young hot-shoes go all out to do a Strava rally and that is the only area where I was not right with them. Bob said he was having a hard time keeping up with me last night and that is not usually the case. Interesting!

All is mellow now, or getting there, so I will probably be riding 10-12th out of 14 next week.

Great to go that abnormally fast -- by my standards -- but I don't think the method by which I did so should be used habitually.

Don in Austin
Old 04-10-14, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
How about some numbers!!!!!
Old 04-10-14, 07:32 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
How about some numbers!!!!!
I have MyTracks, I have a bike computer, but lately I have become disenchanted with using them. Sorry not recorded.

The numbers would have hardly been spectacular, just much better than my normal.

Don in Austin
Old 04-10-14, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Reminds me of a few years back when I was still teaching. About this time of year, when everybody is so so ready for the year to end and tempers are short. I'd get off work and hit the trails. All was good until I started thinking about interactions between my boss and I. Just pedaling and getting my blood to boil! Looking down and seeing that my speed is a good 3-4 mph faster than my normal pace. Great therapy, I think?
Old 04-10-14, 08:27 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Old 04-11-14, 06:22 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Don, my total was 30 miles 2 hours 10 min, not bad for city street riding.
Old 04-11-14, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I know that if I got angry every time my wife sent me a text message or called when I was out riding, I'd be divorced by now. On the other hand, triggering the amygdala to start the process of eventually releasing catecholamines can indeed give one a very real burst of energy. All said and done, I think you're right that this should probably not be a recommended strategy.
Old 04-11-14, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Not that your fast riding wasn't fun, but it's not good to get that worked up over your wife trying to reach you.
Old 04-11-14, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, one of the best things you can do for your riding it to ride in groups stronger than you. Keep up the best you can, draft when necessary. I think people would be surprised how much faster they can ride when pushed out of their comfort zone trying to keep up. Sounds like a great ride.
Old 04-11-14, 08:33 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I just turn my phone to vibrate and my wife knows that it's hit and miss on whether I answer. I have the old school attitude that it's 100% my choice on whether to answer a phone or not. No hard feelings either way.
Old 04-11-14, 08:57 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Avoid wife agro at all costs. If she enrages you are toast!

Charlie
Old 04-11-14, 11:55 AM
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
I still remember what was probably my fastest commute home. And it is also not recommended. I rode about 15 miles in a lightning storm in ~45 minutes .... on my mountain bike. And that's with stop signs and stop lights. Normally my commute is much more relaxed and takes ~1 hour.
Old 04-11-14, 12:08 PM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry66
Honestly, one of the best things you can do for your riding it to ride in groups stronger than you. Keep up the best you can, draft when necessary. I think people would be surprised how much faster they can ride when pushed out of their comfort zone trying to keep up. Sounds like a great ride.
This. I always ride stronger in organized rides or if I chance upon someone (around here most anyone...) stronger than I. That said I need to drop in on the Saturday Dev rides with SDBC and work my way up the food chain.
Old 04-11-14, 12:20 PM

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor

Charlie
If I gave my wife the "don't call me when I'm riding" treatment I'd end up involuntarily n-1.
Old 04-11-14, 06:16 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by a77impala
Don, my total was 30 miles 2 hours 10 min, not bad for city street riding.
And that was with stopping and waiting for slower riders several times.

Thanks....Don

Last edited by Don in Austin; 04-11-14 at 06:17 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 04-11-14, 06:21 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor

Charlie
We just came to an agreement on that. At the start of a ride I will text her "riding" and be considered incommunicado except for emergencies, End of ride or meal stop I will text "not riding."

All is OK.

Don in Austin
Old 04-11-14, 06:58 PM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
And that was with stopping and waiting for slower riders several times.

Thanks....Don
Don, that was only time moving, not counting waiting or eating.
Old 04-11-14, 07:23 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still respectable. We accommodated slower riders for the first 25 minutes, we had to get back up to speed at lots of intersections. At least, it is respectable TO ME!
Old 04-12-14, 01:31 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
Nobody recommends getting mad at your wife, but I highly recommend riding hard as anger therapy. For me, there is no better way to deal with anger than to pour it into a ride.

About a year and a half ago I had a terrible day at work and I was just so angry and frustrated. To deal with this, many people go home and throw back a few drinks. I ate dinner (no drinks) stewed for a little while and then decided I had to get out. I just poured my heart into riding on an empty wide perfectly straight bike trail (it's well-lit and I have good lights) until I felt like turning around, and then did the same on the way back. For 20 miles I did 19.6 MPH, which stands as my personal best for a solo ride, but more importantly, the anger had drained away and I felt great....
Old 04-13-14, 12:14 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I mostly never hear the phone when I am riding.
Besides ... most of the people I would want to talk to are with me on the ride. If somebody went missing, sure, I'll answer.
If somebody else does call, what do they expect me to do when I am out in the middle of nowhere and can barely hear the phonecall (wind, traffic noises)?
If they just want to tell me something, voice mail works great.
If they need support, they will have to wait until my ride is over.
Old 04-13-14, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I can rarely hear my phone while riding, so it usually doesn't get answered.
On the subject of emotion affecting your speed, I have a significant memory of a similar experience. In 1985 I was in the 700-mile qualifier event for Race Across AMerica. The course was a 60 mile loop we did 11 and 2/3 times. At some point my crew had given me the wrong lap number, and I soon realized it on the road when I did the math. I became angry at my crew, and I channeled that anger onto the bike. I took 1 hour off my usual time for that 60 mile loop.