Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Chain ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chain ?

Is there a problem running a SRAM or KMC chain with Shimano derailleurs? The shimano chains are a little higher in price and don't seem to wear well. I like the idea of getting the SRAM 10 speed with the power link included. Any favorites? Thanks for any input.
Old 05-24-14, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rons
Is there a problem running a SRAM or KMC chain with Shimano derailleurs? The shimano chains are a little higher in price and don't seem to wear well. I like the idea of getting the SRAM 10 speed with the power link included. Any favorites? Thanks for any input.
There shouldn't be any problem, all three bikes here are running KMC chains, none of them are new, at least one has 3,000+ km on it, still runs like new. Other then wiping them down when they look like they need it, then applying fresh lube, I don't do anything with them....
Old 05-24-14, 06:43 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
No there's never a problem with chain brands as long as the width (ie, 9s vs.10s).

Chains are one o the most standardized parts on a bicycle, and roller width and diameter is the same across all brands. There are differences in the shapes of the plates which can affect shifting a bit, but all chains run the same.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-24-14, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A chain brand thread. I think that it's kind of like choosing an appropriate lubricant for your chain. People whom I respect have very strongly held but conflicting opinions regarding chain brands. I think you'll be better served to stick to non-controversial topics like religion or politics.

I prefer SRAM chains myself but don't ask me why.
Old 05-24-14, 08:03 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
A chain brand thread. I think that it's kind of like choosing an appropriate lubricant for your chain.

Hey!!!!!

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 05-24-14, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Hey!!!!!
I'll get back to you when the chain lube in my little bottle runs out - provided I don't die first. I don't use very much.
Old 05-24-14, 08:13 PM

I'll get back to you when the chain lube in my little bottle runs out - provided I don't die first. I don't use very much.
I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

Old 05-24-14, 08:17 PM

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.
If you're depending on the profit from my chain lube purchases to upgrade your lifestyle, you should probably get comfortable with the way that you're living now. On the upside, you are on my list of vendors that I plan to try.
Old 05-24-14, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run both Shimano and Sram , I've not noticed any difference in wear
Old 05-24-14, 08:25 PM

If you're depending on the profit from my chain lube purchases to upgrade your lifestyle, you should probably get comfortable with the way that you're living now. On the upside, you are on my list of vendors that I plan to try.
I've been in the bicycle business all my adult life. Adjusting lifestyle to reality goes with the territory.

Old 05-24-14, 08:27 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
OCD folks prefer one brand for the entire drivetrain.
Old 05-24-14, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM
OCD folks prefer one brand for the entire drivetrain.
Truth be told, I select my bike chains based on color. Which is really dumb because I'm not the kind of rider who cleans his chain after every ride.

Speaking of which, anybody know what color FB's chain lube turns when it gets a little dirty?
Old 05-24-14, 08:32 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A chain brand thread. I think that it's kind of like choosing an appropriate lubricant for your chain. People whom I respect have very strongly held but conflicting opinions regarding chain brands. I think you'll be better served to stick to non-controversial topics like religion or politics.

I prefer SRAM chains myself but don't ask me why.
Choosing a chain lube, that's easy: Do you want a wet lube or a dry lube? For fair weather bikes, your better dry, for all weather bikes, your better wet. Okay, having answered that question, what's on sale this week?
Old 05-24-14, 08:40 PM

Speaking of which, anybody know what color FB's chain lube turns when it gets a little dirty?
That's easy. get a deck of cards, find the ace of spades. That's very close to the color.

Old 05-24-14, 08:45 PM

That's easy. get a deck of cards, find the ace of spades. That's very close to the color.
That's too bad. I think that I picked the chain lube I'm using now because it was called Dura-Gold or something like that.
Old 05-24-14, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I like KMC's 9 and 10 speed chains because of the way they are riveted. I've used SRAM in the past without issue. I bought both these brands because of the easy-to-use joining link, which has been made even easier with acquisition of a pair of link pliers.

I will use Shimano chains if the price is right for the model I am after, but refuse to use their rivet system to join them, and opt instead for a KMC joiner link.

I strongly believe using a rivet to join a chain, whether it is a Shimano or some other brand, is what leads to many chain failures, likely because it hasn't been inserted properly and backed off as in the instructions. I just find it so inconvenient when putting a chain on the bike. It's probably why I won't ever get a job at a bike shop.

I think KMC 9 and 10 speed chains can't be joined again using just the rivet because of how they are designed.
Old 05-24-14, 10:09 PM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only chain that gave me a problem was an SRAM with a Powerlink, I threw that b!tch off just as I was heading up an onramp and had just shifted. The bike shop not 50 feet from did not have a spare to help me out so I had to call for sag support from a co-worker. As cheap as they are I just bought a new one and made d@mn sure the Powerlink was installed properly. Not a problem since...

I changed bikes and am riding a Shimano 105 group with a CN-5701
Old 05-25-14, 10:38 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I've used Shimano, KMC, SRAM and Campy......all good.

My experience has been the SRAM masterlink can only be removed with the Link Tool. However's KMC's quick link can easily be removed by hand.
Old 05-25-14, 10:48 AM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truth be told, I select my bike chains based on color. Which is really dumb because I'm not the kind of rider who cleans his chain after every ride.

I suspect it starts out green, then goes to yellow as a warning, then red indicating stop immediately and relube, and black when it's dead.

Come to think of it, wouldn't that be cool to have the chains themselves change color as they wear?
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 05-25-14, 11:18 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
lube?
Old 05-25-14, 02:42 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by jppe

My experience has been the SRAM masterlink can only be removed with the Link Tool. However's KMC's quick link can easily be removed by hand.
Just the opposite of my experience - had to get a Park masterlink tool when I started using KMC chains/masterlinks after years of no problems with SRAM.

Have never had a masterlink of either brand fail but in recent years have given spare KMC masterlinks to two tandem teams stranded on the roadside by masterlink failures - don't know what brands.
I always carry a couple of the KMC ones - bought a bunch of them on Amazon.
Old 05-25-14, 05:56 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Just the opposite of my experience - had to get a Park masterlink tool when I started using KMC chains/masterlinks after years of no problems with SRAM.

Have never had a masterlink of either brand fail but in recent years have given spare KMC masterlinks to two tandem teams stranded on the roadside by masterlink failures - don't know what brands.
I always carry a couple of the KMC ones - bought a bunch of them on Amazon.
I suspect that master link failures are master links not installed properly....
Old 05-25-14, 06:17 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Wogster
I suspect that master link failures are master links not installed properly....
The most recent episode I think was a chain that got dumped to the inside and then inadvertently came apart and one half got lost in the process of trying to dislodge the chain from where it ended up. Not really a masterlink failure.
Old 05-25-14, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

SRAM and KMC both make two types of links:

1. A non-latching type which can be removed with bare fingers; (SRAM 8s & 9s PowerLINK, KMC calls it "reusable").

2. A latching type that needs a tool to separate; (SRAM 10s & 11s PowerLOCK, KMC calls it "non-reusable").
Old 05-25-14, 07:39 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
SRAM and KMC both make two types of links:

1. A non-latching type which can be removed with bare fingers; (SRAM 8s & 9s PowerLINK, KMC calls it "reusable").

2. A latching type that needs a tool to separate; (SRAM 10s & 11s PowerLOCK, KMC calls it "non-reusable").
Good clarification. I was referring to the SRAM 10 sp. I have reusable 10 sp KMC links as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.