Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people? I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is wrong with people? I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 02:05 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
In the case I described the knife was not initially wielded or visible. Good samaritan tried stop an escalating arguement. Got stabbed to death.

The problem is: you never know.
Sad indeed.

This knife wasn't immediately visible either by the account I heard. And it was over a stupid $10 street drug burn. Guy went back to Oklahoma sadder, wiser, much lighter and less healthy and with less intestines than before.
Old 04-29-14, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I should clarify a few things. I have not and do not now enter into such situations lightly. The potential for serious harm in any physical altercation should never be discounted. Hence, I have not and do not intend to start physical altercations with others. In this instance it was the young man who did so. In so doing, he also disclosed a great deal about his abilities and frame of mind. Make no mistake, if there was any doubt in my mind that he did not intend to do physical harm to the young woman, I would have called 911. Unfortunately such a call does little good once the assault has taken place. My judgment at the time was, that she was in immediate danger. From my perspective there is no satisfaction to be gained from such an encounter. A young woman has had a very frightening experience that can't help but impact her in terms of how she views others. The young man resorted to violence as a means to deal with his emotions and has suffered physical harm as a result. My psyche has suffered a blow in that my actions did nothing to heal. Rather, they simply stopped something bad. I'd rather live in a world where that is not necessary. And having a reminder that such a word doesn't yet exist is especially painful when it occurs doing something I love - cycling.
Old 04-29-14, 05:13 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Well stated, @NOS88 . Your intervention had only seconds to be decided upon. Sometimes, doing the right thing can have consequences. But fortunately, the just outcome prevailed in your case, and I commend you for your decision and actions. I was forced to make such a decision to intervene a few years ago, and sadly the other two parties turned on me in the outcome.
I would have attempted to intervene as well, whether it be for a woman, or man, or child that was being intimidated and assaulted.
She did the right thing, your did the right thing. Only selfish sociopaths can't accept such chain of events.

I turned 50 earlier this year, and today ventured over to this forum for the first time. I was drawn by this thread first. And the reason for your post is a poignant reminder of devolved human behavior. We still have so much further to go.

A nice goal and dream.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWA2GbcnJU

Last edited by WNG; 04-29-14 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 05:53 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by WNG
She did the right thing, you did the right thing.
Agree. No clarification by the OP necessary.
I might have regrets over how I handled a situation once myself but it's non topical. Every situation calls for quick judgement and this one was very appropriate.

A nice goal and dream.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWA2GbcnJU
This is a cool vid.
Old 04-30-14, 07:35 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So any follow up on this case? Did the guy get charged with assault?

Charlie
Old 04-30-14, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
So any follow up on this case? Did the guy get charged with assault?

Charlie
I have no knowledge of any charges. I did not observe or participate in any exchange of information between parties involved. When I left the scene, the EMTs were dealing with him. Perhaps it's a perverse sense of justice on my part, but he did pay a price for his behavior. I'm only hopeful that it gives him pause to think before letting his emotions get away from him in the future. I don't know how adept I am at reading body language, but I believe there was embarrassment and remorse evident at the time of my departure.
Old 04-30-14, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the Police take your name and that of the woman? If so, you may need to contact her in the unlikely event that the guy presses charges against you (this happens more than many would think).
Old 04-30-14, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
nice job you report him to the police? how did he dislocate his shoulder?
Old 04-30-14, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by RoyIII
Nice going. That plus 911 is the way to handle it. That dislocated shoulder will remind him of the day. Sometimes they both turn on the 3d party. I'm glad that didn't happen. I'm in Texas and here she'd probably have shot him - or should have.
you hear about the 16 old at school Monday, I think it was? guns aren't the answer.
Texas teen brings AK-47, two handguns to school, threatens to shoot if ?demands? not met: officials - NY Daily News
Old 04-30-14, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan
Forget all the accolades (deserved as they are), I just want a blow-by-blow account of how the guy ended up with the dislocated shoulder!!

The guy's behaviour was disgusting. I am not a fighter, but would stop to assist in such a situation. And just like dealing with a a dog (how appropriate a comparison), I would keep the bike between me and the guy and as he lunges, just let the bike fall back towards me. I have visions of the assailant falling and getting tangles, and hopefully breaking something.
+1
Old 04-30-14, 01:49 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
guns aren't the answer.
Careful. The mods will ship this whole thread over to P&R pronto if we even begin to get into this. And most of us won't bother to get access to over there so participation from the present posters will largely end.
Old 04-30-14, 02:54 PM

yeah, I hear ya, thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-30-14, 08:12 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you hear about the 16 old at school Monday, I think it was? guns aren't the answer.
There are times when a gun is the ONLY answer.
Old 04-30-14, 08:15 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
My advice ......... is NEVER try to break up a fight between two people you don't know. They probably already know each other, are enraged, and might welcome a common enemy.
There's is no "One size fits all situations" answer. Every altercation is situational.
Old 07-28-14, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pepper spray. I always carry it 'ready at hand'. I've used it on dogs and people.

Joe
Old 07-29-14, 03:34 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 700C, Rans Seavo tandem, Giant OCR-2 & a Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS88,

Well done Sir..

Semper Fi
Old 07-29-14, 05:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dave5339
NOS88,

Well done Sir..

Semper Fi
NOS88 has not posted for a long time. You OK, NOS88?