Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

El Paso to Dallas?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

El Paso to Dallas?

Old 03-22-05, 12:46 PM

Bikes: mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
El Paso to Dallas?

I am 67 and on 4/18/05 will begin a tour from San Diego to Dallas. Basically using Adventure Cycling Souther Tier maps from San Diego to El Paso - with some minor modifications.

Having problems with Texas - Southern Tier goes too far South to be practical. Also getting conflicting reports about being able to ride on Interstates and Int-state access roads in Texas.

Specifically interested in going further North in NM using 82 thru Alamagordo to Lubbock
OR
going on to El Paso and then 180 / 62 up to Lubbock.

Moteling it and eating out rather than camping.

Any info and experiences appreciated.

Tom
Old 03-22-05, 01:14 PM
www.getafolder.com

Bikes: Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rusht8205
I am 67 and on 4/18/05 will begin a tour from San Diego to Dallas. Basically using Adventure Cycling Souther Tier maps from San Diego to El Paso - with some minor modifications.

Having problems with Texas - Southern Tier goes too far South to be practical. Also getting conflicting reports about being able to ride on Interstates and Int-state access roads in Texas.

Specifically interested in going further North in NM using 82 thru Alamagordo to Lubbock
OR

Moteling it and eating out rather than camping.

Any info and experiences appreciated.

Tom

Tom,

I've lived in all those general areas. Most of it is high desert at 4,000 ft. It is very hot and very dry and miles and miles without watering holes. The Jornada del Muerto ("Route of the Dead Man") is a little west of your route but the same type of terrain and challenge. Roads are generally good with shoulders, I doubt that anyone cares if you ride the interstate in that region of the country. I couldn't advise you go in summer, the pavement is brutally hot and punishing especially when te mercury climbs to 114 degrees.

If you'd like to know some specifics, drop me a private note.

WPF
Old 03-22-05, 02:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All that I can say is good luck. There isn't a whole lot of anything along some of those stretches out west and southwest, including water. You are wise to choose your routes carefully. I've lived in Texas all my life, and I have spent more time flying over that part of the state than not. Good luck!
Old 03-22-05, 09:25 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride eastward from Alamagordo on 82 is nice, if you can stand the climb up to Cloudcroft. I've only driven it, but have always thought it would make a good bike route.
Old 03-22-05, 09:47 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For what it's worth, in Texas riding along an interstate is legal unless otherwise posted. I cannot recall ever seeing a sign prohibiting it, but if there are any stretches where you cannot cycle, they would be in the big cities. There should be no prohibitions in West Texas. Certainly, if the AdventureCycling map shows routes on the interstate, you can be confidant that it is legal to ride there.

You can always ride on the interstate frontage roads, if there are any. Out in West Texas, I believe you will find many long stretches that have no frontage roads.

That being said, certainly riding along any interstate is not the most pleasant riding. An alternate route that avoids interstates would probably be more attractive. Keep in mind though, that towns can be many miles apart out there, so plan your route carefully and always make sure you have plenty of water. There are also lots of place names in Texas that show up on maps even though there is little, if anything, remaining. Make sure that any vital resupply town has someplace to resupply!
Old 03-22-05, 09:56 PM
www.getafolder.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...Specifically interested in going further North in NM using 82 thru Alamagordo to Lubbock
OR

Tom

The Alamogordo to Lubbock route is much more scenic, interesting, and has more watering holes than the the El Paso to Lubbock route. Besides, you want to stay in NM as long as you can.
Old 03-27-05, 11:28 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
"riding along any interstate is not the most pleasant riding"

I-10 west out of phoenix is a pleasant ride. very little traffic and wide, smooth,
clean shoulders. if you consider that the speed limit and traffic density (at least
here) are the same as on u.s. and state highways, it's actually a better ride. there
are occasional access gates along the roadside to blm land for camping.

most interstates out this way will permit cycling - unless there is a nearby local
roadway or frontage road, or you enter an urban area, in which case there is an
alternate route.
Old 03-27-05, 01:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have decided to do the Alamogordo - Cloudcroft - Artesia --- route. I have posted in several places asking about the food and motel situation from Cloudcroft - Mayhill - Elk - Hope - Artesia route and gotten no responses.

The climb from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft looks like a one day killer for me - even though its only 20 miles. I think I will attack it early in the am and see what time I get to Cloudcroft. I got one response saying there will be food and motel there, but it looks like next chance is either Hope or Artesia. Do you know if that's the case?

Planning to hit Alamogordo - late April - do I need long undies at that time - or will an old fat guy sweat enough to keep warm?

Tom
Old 03-27-05, 02:33 PM
www.getafolder.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have decided to do the Alamogordo - Cloudcroft - Artesia --- route. I have posted in several places asking about the food and motel situation from Cloudcroft - Mayhill - Elk - Hope - Artesia route and gotten no responses.

The climb from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft looks like a one day killer for me - even though its only 20 miles. I think I will attack it early in the am and see what time I get to Cloudcroft. I got one response saying there will be food and motel there, but it looks like next chance is either Hope or Artesia. Do you know if that's the case?

Planning to hit Alamogordo - late April - do I need long undies at that time - or will an old fat guy sweat enough to keep warm?

Tom
Tom,

Leaving Las Cruces you'll go over San Austin Pass in the Organ Mountains. Then it's mostly a nice 60 mile coast down to White Sands and then into Alamogordo. Yes the climb to Cloudcroft 4k to 9K ft is a killer, but there is one little town on the way up. Cloudcroft is an excellent small rural community in the Pines with plenty of lodging. It is home to the country's highest golf course and the southern most ski area. Do consider having lunch or dinner at the Historic Lodge and if your wallet is bulging with money consider staying a night there, probably $125 will do for an overnight bed. I think you'll be on narrow roads all the way to Artesia, but they are not well traveled so you should have a good and relatively safe trip on that segment. Mayhill, Elk, and Hope hardly deserve a dot on the map, but Mayhill had a rustic convenience store last time I was there. For assured lodging and vittles you'll need to get on to Artesia where you will not find too much, but at least basic lodging and food. And for food in Artesia, expect Mexican.

The area between Las Cruces and the base of the road to Cloudcroft is all around 4,000 ft and should be very pleasant in April. However, sand storms are a recurring and frequent problem in the Spring.

All in all this New Mexico segment of your trip should be rewarding and without big risk.

WPF
Old 03-27-05, 06:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - I will definitely make an early morning run to Cloudcroft and decide about going further once I get there. New Mexico looks great -

Tom