Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looks like I may be getting a divorce.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-06-14, 05:06 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

My 2011 Felt Z4 has been a comfortable bike for 2 years and I've really liked it, but in the last few months I haven't been as comfortable on it as on my Litespeed. I swapped this, measured and adjusted that, etc. but to no avail.
So tomorrow I'm test riding a few Cannondales - CAAD 10 and Synapse -- to see if we'll be happy.
Wish me luck.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-06-14, 05:57 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Well, these partings can be such painful experiences, try and use the N+1 factor to help you get past the rough patches. I think you'll like the Synapse or CAAD10, my 10 is perfect for my riding needs and the Synapse CF 105 is the BOTY for Cycling Plus. Best wishes on the search for the next Mrs. RonH's bicycle. Pics of the new ride will of course be mandatory.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-06-14, 05:58 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
As long as you're not paying alimony, you're good to go . . . .
Old 05-06-14, 06:01 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
As long as you're not paying alimony, you're good to go . . . .
^ lol

I say you keep her as a mistress. I mean ... variety being the spice of life and all.

Old 05-06-14, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I regret having sold or disposed of just about every bike that I "used to have". Not withstanding that, I don't have room in the garage for any more bikes than I currently have, but I do miss them all the same.
Old 05-06-14, 08:49 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
I haven't ridden a CAAD10 but my CAAD9 is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden. I suppose I've been coddled. This bike looks interesting, at a similar price point:
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400315__400315
Old 05-07-14, 05:51 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Divorces are fleeting. Bikes are forever!
Old 05-07-14, 04:19 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
my CAAD9 is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden.
Why would you ride a bike that you hate to ride?
Old 05-07-14, 05:01 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Why would you ride a bike that you hate to ride?
Because it's the only dry weather single I have running right now. I got it real cheap. I'd buy something else but I almost never ride a single outdoors anymore. I'm in the process of repainting my Trek 5200. Maybe I'll get it done this summer. Now that's a sweet bike.
Old 05-07-14, 05:49 PM
Life is good

Got the new bike today. Well, actually it will be tomorrow. Keep reading

I've been wanting a Cannondale bike for several years. It just never worked out, until today.
I test rode the following and picked my bike. My test rides were ~5 miles each.
First I rode a 56cm 2014 Synapse aluminum Ultegra with disc brakes. It was nice but I wasn't impressed with the brakes and the ride was only ok.
Next I rode a 54cm 2013 CAAD 10 SRAM. The ride was awesome but the SRAM was the deal breaker. I've had SRAM before and didn't like it. I'm a Shimano person.
Then I rode a 56cm 2013 CAAD 10 Ultegra w/Di2. The electric shifting was nice but I'm not ready for it yet. The ride was ok but I felt stretched out.
Got back to the shop and talked to the owner about the bikes and about ordering a 2014 54cm CAAD 10 3 or 5.
The mechanic asked if I wanted to test ride his bike. I looked at it and asked what the price would be for an EVO whatever it was. The owner said it would be somewhere around $7000. I said that was way out of my budget. No surprise there. I'm a senior citizen living on a fixed income.
We looked at the available bikes online and then the owner asked if I'd be interested in the 54cm CAAD 10 SRAM if the SRAM was swapped for 105 from a Synapse demo bike. The SRAM is a 10 speed and the 105 is a 10 speed. Couldn't do Ultegra because its an 11 speed. I asked the final price and waited for 2 heartbeats before I said YES!!!!
The mechanic started swapping the components and said I could pick up the bike tomorrow.
No pics yet. Just the picture from cannondale.com.

So I have a "mixed-breed" (for lack of a better description) 2013 CAAD 10 4 Racing Edition that's been converted to a CAAD 10 5 "Racing Edition". Of course there's no such stock bike.

I'm post the real thing tomorrow.

I'll start cleaning up the Felt next week to get it ready for sale. So right now we're "separated" but living in the same house.
Once the bike is sold the divorce will be final.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-07-14, 06:03 PM
Life is good

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
I regret having sold or disposed of just about every bike that I "used to have". Not withstanding that, I don't have room in the garage for any more bikes than I currently have, but I do miss them all the same.
I only have room for two bikes in the garage.
Some days I regret selling my 1999 Raleigh R600. I really liked that bike.

I thought the new owner would give it a good home. I found out a week after selling it he bought it for the components.

And there are times when I regret selling my 2009 Kona Jake. I really enjoyed riding it off road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0153.jpg (90.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
Raleigh-right.jpg (83.6 KB, 26 views)

Old 05-07-14, 10:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

That new bike will be way cool! I'll admit I'm biased to Cannondale and have both Shimano and Campagnolo components on two identical bikes, except for color. I love both. You won't be disappointed.
Old 05-08-14, 05:34 AM
Semper Fi

Welcome to the Cult, Ron, CAAD 10 are fantastic bicycles. Only changes I made were to switch the stock Schwalbe Lugano, 700X23 for Gatorskins, 700X25, and installed Kool Stop combination brake pads in the cartridge holders, I have recently swapped the C3, 44cm bars for some C1, 42cm bars for better width fit. Hope your miles are as happy as mine are, I have a Rival edition in the Gulf Oil Racing colourway, not being produced right now in the CAAD 10 line. As the frames are the same across the various build levels you have a nice model with that solid 105 component set, win-win. I'd do a Ultegra group build if I had the coins.

Be sure that the BB is very well greased and that you have the bearings Loctited, as Cannondale recommends, to avoid the BB30 creaking. I took mine down, cleaned everything completely then reassembled per the Cannondale tech notice, using BelRay blue waterproof racing grease.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-08-14 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 05:51 AM
Life is good

Thanks Bill.
I think I made a mistake. The bike is a leftover 2013 CAAD 10 2 Racing Edition. The CAAD 10 4 is just SRAM. I'll have to ask what "Racing Edition" means when I pick up the bike this morning.

Old 05-08-14, 05:59 AM
Semper Fi

The Racing Edition have some up-level components and usually a matte black colourway, not always, though, and their wheelsets/tires are upgraded. I caught your "error", doesn't matter, you had said you didn't care for SRAM, that the 4 level has, I like mine, very well, different strokes, etc. The '14 have the hidden cable routing and are Di capable for the electronic shifting, I think you said you saw or rode one, the price keeps me away from that level. I am saving some pennies for an Ultegra group and a BB adapter to make the Shimano change, however. I like Shimano Ultegra more than SRAM's Force for an upgrade in the near future.

Bill

Old 05-08-14, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
My 2011 Felt Z4 has been a comfortable bike for 2 years and I've really liked it, but in the last few months I haven't been as comfortable on it as on my Litespeed. I swapped this, measured and adjusted that, etc. but to no avail.
So tomorrow I'm test riding a few Cannondales - CAAD 10 and Synapse -- to see if we'll be happy.
Wish me luck.
I'd never want to discourage someone in teh grips of N+1 fever, but have you considered a fitting?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-08-14, 06:07 PM
Life is good

^^ I did the fitting recently on both bikes. No help.

Got the bike home and took a picture in front of my white garage door.
They left the SRAM cranks and chainrings on the bike. It's 53/39 like my Litespeed. The 105 chainrings were 50/34.
The handlebars look like they're up a bit but it's the camera angle.

Old 05-08-14, 07:48 PM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy the new bike.
Old 05-08-14, 07:54 PM
Semper Fi

You got a good crankset, wheel and tire upgrade on that ride, nice score, Ron. Maybe I'll finally make it down your way so we can ride soon.

Bill

Old 05-08-14, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
The Racing Edition have some up-level components and usually a matte black colourway, not always, though, and their wheelsets/tires are upgraded. I caught your "error", doesn't matter, you had said you didn't care for SRAM, that the 4 level has, I like mine, very well, different strokes, etc. The '14 have the hidden cable routing and are Di capable for the electronic shifting, I think you said you saw or rode one, the price keeps me away from that level. I am saving some pennies for an Ultegra group and a BB adapter to make the Shimano change, however. I like Shimano Ultegra more than SRAM's Force for an upgrade in the near future.

Bill

Bill, if you're thinking about an Ultegra component group upgrade (assuming 11spd) why not consider Campagnolo Athena 11spd ? I have two Caad 8 Optimo's one with DuraAce and the other Athena 11spd. I love them both, although my fingers are beginning to default to the Campy shifting. Takes a few minutes riding with the Shimano to remember how to shift.

Originally Posted by RonH

Got the bike home and took a picture in front of my white garage door.

Congrats on the bike!
Old 05-09-14, 01:46 AM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395
^ lol

I say you keep her as a mistress. I mean ... variety being the spice of life and all.
My wife called my 2 carbon bikes my mistresses . She mentioned I spend more time with them in the summer months than with her .
Old 05-09-14, 04:54 PM
Life is good

The handlebars in the previous picture looked odd so here's a better picture I took this afternoon after my first ride, 38.8 miles.

Old 05-09-14, 06:37 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Bill, if you're thinking about an Ultegra component group upgrade (assuming 11spd) why not consider Campagnolo Athena 11spd ? I have two Caad 8 Optimo's one with DuraAce and the other Athena 11spd. I love them both, although my fingers are beginning to default to the Campy shifting. Takes a few minutes riding with the Shimano to remember how to shift.

Congrats on the bike!
Thanks for that reminder about looking at Campag, I'll keep them in mind as I get closer in the money area. I looked at both Ultegra and the Campag groups this morning at Ribble, nice prices for both, I want a silver group this time, though, that is getting harder to find. The silver groups for Shimano and Campag are sold out in doubles for several levels, save the triples. I haven't ruled going back to a triple either. My R500T is sweet, our daughter has it now, with a road double set.

Sorry for the hijack, Ron, back to your new ride.

Bill