Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No Pain, No Gain

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

No Pain, No Gain

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 04:24 PM

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Guess I'm in the camp of OldsCOOL and howellhandmade. Wasted 40 years with little exercise until moved to South Florida and took up biking six years ago.

So not worse off than before but much better and with trainer getting stronger each week. Find harder I work the stronger I get and better I feel after riding. Two years ago averaged 14 MPH, 15 a year ago and now 17 alone and over 19 in a group. What fun to improve at age 69.

Resting heart rate has dropped from 55 or so to 51 and top heart rate has risen from 164 to 168. Still trying to catch my young friends who are 60 and 66 and can leave me in the dust with ease. Now I'm only two blocks behind instead of a mile!

Ed
Old 05-27-14, 04:38 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Guess I'm in the camp of OldsCOOL and howellhandmade. Wasted 40 years with little exercise until moved to South Florida and took up biking six years ago.

So not worse off than before but much better and with trainer getting stronger each week. Find harder I work the stronger I get and better I feel after riding. Two years ago averaged 14 MPH, 15 a year ago and now 17 alone and over 19 in a group. What fun to improve at age 69.

Resting heart rate has dropped from 55 or so to 51 and top heart rate has risen from 164 to 168. Still trying to catch my young friends who are 60 and 66 and can leave me in the dust with ease. Now I'm only two blocks behind instead of a mile!

Ed
Dang, that's inspiring.
Old 05-27-14, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 66 Posts
Yes, in the no pain no gain camp. Finally had the chance to ride 3 days in a row this year during this past weekend. The target was to reach 75 total but came up 5 short. Was in pain yesterday, but much better today
Old 05-27-14, 08:10 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I did a century last Sunday with 7600 feet of climbing with segments to 13%. Today I still have some quadriceps pain but tomorrow will see If I am strong enough to move up the Strava leaderboard for 65+ on a few segments. That was the first century in about 5 years. I expect some gain from a lot of pain. The last 30 miles were at 104 degrees.
Old 05-27-14, 09:45 PM

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Thanks old school and way to go fast carbon. Let us know if any Strava PRs, as ones I see are shorter segments and based on time. Point of centuries is pure endurance rather than speed but then you never know.

Did my century before using Strava so not sure, except know I was sloooo with just two of us, little drafting and high winds on way home.
Old 05-28-14, 10:47 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Thanks old school and way to go fast carbon. Let us know if any Strava PRs, as ones I see are shorter segments and based on time. Point of centuries is pure endurance rather than speed but then you never know.

Did my century before using Strava so not sure, except know I was sloooo with just two of us, little drafting and high winds on way home.
No PR's yet this season but soon enough. The new bike and thyroid meds will help. My PRs were from last year's peak.

If I figure out an ext batt for this iphone 5 I will track the upcoming century late July. So far I'm on track for a 50mi this Saturday.
Old 05-28-14, 11:06 AM

Bikes: '92 Merlin Extralight, '19 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Ed
Excellent. Good job!
Old 05-29-14, 05:56 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

When I started riding in SoCal in the early 80's most centuries and doubles were timed and even mass starts so finishing times are useful to me. We have many Strava segments in Orange County that are around 10 miles but don't really relate to centuries. I rode with a couple of members of my racing club (we are old but try to remain competitive) so I worked on speed endurance.
Old 06-01-14, 02:26 PM

The Strava results from my pain = gain century. After almost a week's recovery my Saturday ride: 35 achievements, 19PR's, one new Best Overall, two Best this year.....I love the pain!
Old 06-01-14, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by fastcarbon
The Strava results from my pain = gain century. After almost a week's recovery my Saturday ride: 35 achievements, 19PR's, one new Best Overall, two Best this year.....I love the pain!
Hey what a great feeling!!! So many awards and PRs, doesn't get better than that. Congratulations very, very fast carbon rider.
Old 06-01-14, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Weatherby
For the anti-pain crowd, spin me up this. What does it soon feel like cresting a climb 50 meters off the back?

Dejection? Or, do slam the big ring and call up your interval training and bridge because closing that little gap is going to hurt.
I slam the big ring, call up my interval training, and just feel ...

... empty.

Not painful; empty.

The first 15 seconds of an all out interval I feel strong and powerful, pushing forcefully onto the pedals. Then that powerful feeling fades and I stop accelerating and start to slow. I'm definitely breathing deeeeeeeeeply, sucking every molecule of air from a four state area and feeling a little light headed because I could use a few more. It's uncomfortable, but not painful.

After a tough ride is exhaustion, then sometimes muscle soreness. But for me pain indicated a problem.

Originally Posted by Weatherby
Long Steady pace rides of which I am a fan are beautiful things. But. How are intervals and speedwork enjoyable? At any age?
I must be getting more endorphins. And I like going fast.

Interesting discussion.
Old 06-01-14, 05:23 PM

I did a hilly 50mi ride in the 90deg heat. The last 5mi was a huge effort to just stay moving. Legs not too bad but the traps and tri's HURT. Next Saturday I'll bump up the mileage and do it again. That is climbing the ladder of base miles. At some point in the ride it will hurt. I've resolved not to quit.
Old 06-01-14, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I did a hilly 50mi ride in the 90deg heat. The last 5mi was a huge effort to just stay moving. Legs not too bad but the traps and tri's HURT. Next Saturday I'll bump up the mileage and do it again. That is climbing the ladder of base miles. At some point in the ride it will hurt. I've resolved not to quit.
Never give up. 90F this early in the season is pretty tough.

Old 06-01-14, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Very impressive. Keep up the work. Do you ride just once per week?

Say, can't you leave early in day to avoid heat? Where you are gets light and dark an hour later than East Coast so not that early in the morning.
Old 06-02-14, 03:46 AM

Very impressive. Keep up the work. Do you ride just once per week?

Say, can't you leave early in day to avoid heat? Where you are gets light and dark an hour later than East Coast so not that early in the morning.
Starting earlier is the best solution but on Saturdays is the toughest solution. That is my sleep-in day. I get out the door and on the bike no later than 10am and earlier as the miles increase.

A typical week starts with a hilly ride in the range of 5-35mi depending on condition, second ride is an all-out race against Strava. That ride is my local 18mi ride along the lakeshore that has a few rollers and usually headwind somewhere. I'm at 16.2mph avg with that. Then comes a day or two of rest depending on legs and core strength.
@Dudelsack thanx for the encouragement.

ETA: I will raise the stem 1-1.5cm on the endurance ride to help the upperbody discomfort in the later miles. That ache is absolutely menacing.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 06-02-14 at 03:57 AM.