Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Am I too heavy? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/947831-am-i-too-heavy.html)

zonatandem 05-12-14 11:09 PM

Am I too heavy?

1 Attachment(s)
Today the bolt holding the saddle rails to the saddle clamp broke in half!
At a 135 lbs, am I now too heavy ?
Or is it a cheap bolt on an expensive seatpost/saddle combo?
First time ever that I broke a bolt like that since I started riding in the mid-1970s!

casio04330 05-12-14 11:14 PM

I am Pushing 240 LBS... you're not to big... just keep at it..

qcpmsame 05-13-14 05:09 AM

Knowing you, Rudy, it just flat wore out from use:rolleyes: with all the miles you and Mrs. Kay log:thumb:. Either that of just a defective bolt that gave up the ghost, finally.

Bill

Trsnrtr 05-13-14 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 16753877)
Knowing you, Rudy, it just flat wore out from use:rolleyes: with all the miles you and Mrs. Kay log:thumb:. Either that of just a defective bolt that gave up the ghost, finally.

Bill

Gotta go with this one. You're an inspiration.

doctor j 05-13-14 06:17 AM

At 135 pounds, you're a a real tub 'o lard. Seek medical attention immediately:D

Alternately... I guess they don't make 'em like the used to.

Weatherby 05-13-14 06:21 AM

I have broken several saddle rails and one seat bolt.

What name is on the seatpost?

sirupate 05-13-14 07:02 AM

Some kind of parts/metal fatigue I'd guess. I weigh 220 and sometimes wonder about my very lithe road bike frame from the 70's.

jppe 05-13-14 08:09 AM

It is very obvious you are NOT eating and drinking the same stuff that I consumed while I was in Tucson last week. I bet you've never even been to Guadalajara on Prince Street!

Little Darwin 05-13-14 08:11 AM

If you are too large for one bolt, I need at least 3. :)

fietsbob 05-13-14 10:02 AM

Ouija board is DNF
As I dont know what specific post you are speaking of .. IDK .. It may be cheap and the bolts doubly so .. chromed mild steel ..
many, the lower cradle is what supports the rider's weight, the bolts just control the tilt.

perhaps you need to pick another seat post for it's beefy design .. maybe this: Tall & Handsome Seatpost from Paul Component Engineering

Or, Universal Cycles -- Nitto S83 Seatpost

My older American Classic post was machined out to be thicker on the front/back to resist bending forces too

IDK about the new Candy cane style Universal Cycles -- Seatposts > American Classic Seatposts

GravelMN 05-13-14 03:49 PM

My guess is a titanium or alloy bolt that was defective or had been tightened too much at some point and was already cracked. I'm a fan of SS hardware when possible, but then the last time I was 135 pounds I was in Jr High.

Carbonfiberboy 05-13-14 04:03 PM

The second recent broken seatpost bolt! Bad shipment of Chinese bolts. OTOH you probably did just wear it out. Stoker and I are only 134, so we haven't peaked yet. We're still trying to wear out our first tandem.

zonatandem 05-13-14 04:50 PM

fietsbob:
The seatpost: Specialized carbon fiber.
The broken bolt: nice and shiny chromed cheapo?
LBS told me they did not have such a bolt so hightailed it to Ace Hdwe.
Ace is the place . . .
Rode it today, worked just fine.

qcpmsame 05-13-14 04:57 PM

It seems that few of the fasteners on bicycles are high quality, I regularly go to Lowes and match up one of the peanut butter fasteners that come on many components now with a good grade 8 or a stainless steel that fills the bill. Glad you found the fastener you needed, Rudy, now go wear another one out with your large mileage numbers.

Bill

BigAura 05-13-14 05:36 PM

You're looking at the wrong scale, your weight is great. You or your shop needs to use one of these:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...0/pttw11-1.jpg

Retro Grouch 05-13-14 05:50 PM

Looks to me like you have 2 choices:
1. Ride less.
2. Buy a new bolt.

I'm betting you'll go for choice #2 . If you buy two so that you have a ready replacement on hand, Murphy's Law says that the one on your bike will never break again.

Wileyrat 05-13-14 08:29 PM

I'm pretty sure my skeletal structure weighs more than 135lbs, I think your weight is fine.

rdtompki 05-16-14 06:33 AM

All cyclists are, by definition, too heavy for the sport.

Weatherby 05-16-14 06:42 AM

The blame for inferior metals rests with whomever contracted with the External Manufacturer.

Does Specialized spec out the fasteners and do they routinely verify that they are getting the quality specified?

This is an extremely common problem and often has nothing to do with using a torque wrench.

Dudelsack 05-16-14 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BigAura (Post 16756287)
You're looking at the wrong scale, your weight is great. You or your shop needs to use one of these:

Can anyone recommend a torque wrench that is inexpensive, highly accurate, and durable?

I guess I'd settle for two out of three.

big john 05-16-14 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by doctor j (Post 16753992)
At 135 pounds, you're a a real tub 'o lard. Seek medical attention immediately:D

Borderline morbidly obese.

Let's see, I have only broken 1 seatpost bolt but have broken 4 saddle rails, 4 seatposts, 4 frames, 2 mtb shocks, snapped 3 pedals, countless spokes, and over a dozen wheels.

big john 05-16-14 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by BigAura (Post 16756287)

Dudelsack, the Park pictured will work, as will Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, or many others. Watch for a sale.

Popeyecahn 05-16-14 08:10 AM

Material fatigue. Likely caused by over tightening and the stresses of riding. The clamp on my older Campy post broke after it had been tightened down due to creaking. After close inspection it was apparent that the failure point was long in the making, the recent adjustment brought about its demise. Funny thing though, I was going to adjust the saddle position and after I loosened it the broken piece fell to the floor. Btw I weigh about 135 or so as well.

Weatherby 05-16-14 08:42 AM

Cozy Beehive: Broken Thomson Seatposts & The Overtightening Syndrome

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lts_signed.pdf

Bolts that are too lose will fatigue.

Is it possible people confuse lb-ft with N-m and over tighten just a bit.

Thompson claims they are the only ones in the industry checking their "nuts/bolts" at incoming.

jjames1452 05-17-14 07:19 AM

Stuff breaks.
At between 208-216 lbs stuff probably breaks more frequently with me.
I take my bikes into the LBS a time or two during the year for a safety check.
It helps identify parts that need replacement (perhaps) before failure.