Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do Helmets Need To Be Replaced After X Years?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do Helmets Need To Be Replaced After X Years?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Trek 820 - starter bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
I bought my Nashbar helmet in the mid '90s for any possible century ride (which I never got around to at the time) since they required them by then. I never actually started wearing it until last spring when I started back after a decade layoff. So it looks like I've got years of use left. I've had a cop and local century organizers quiz me as to whether it was approved and I just told them it was Snell approved, which I believe it was as I recall when I bought it.......It fits my "time warp" attire and ride.
Wait, a cop asked you? are you legally obligated to wear a helmet on a bicycle in WA?
Old 05-30-14, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin
I wouldn't tape it. Maybe some Gorilla glue.
I think that Gorilla glue eats away the Styrofoam. I'm not sure what adhesive works though.
Old 05-30-14, 09:36 AM

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I think that Gorilla glue eats away the Styrofoam. I'm not sure what adhesive works though.

Elmer's wood glue should be fine.
Old 05-30-14, 09:48 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
This is only three years old. Should I change it or just tape up the damaged area?

I think you can just break that chunk off - but you might have a problem keeping the head strap in place.
Old 05-30-14, 09:52 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Sell it on eBay.

"slightly used"

Old 05-30-14, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin
Elmer's wood glue should be fine.
Probably. But I think I'd try a hot glue gunn. Then put some Gorilla tape over the broken shell part, good as new.
Old 05-30-14, 10:25 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I replace mine every 3-4 years. I'd rather be safe than cheap.
I replace mine every 5 years for the same reason plus I know I drop my helmets, bang them next to stuff etc so better safe than sorry.

I always get a kick out of seeing someone wearing one of those old Bell helmets, even today! I remember them as really hot and heavy! Modern helmets are just so muh more comfortable. Recently working an mountain bike ride (Rwanda 50), Tom Ritchey came by (with his wife, on a MTB tandem) and he was wearing a "hairnet" - I assume from the "day"... no one makes those anymore do they?

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-30-14, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I just wait for my current helment© to asplode spontaneously; then I buy a new one.
Old 05-30-14, 10:28 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
It's time to replace a helmet when it's hit something with your head in it, or when the foam pads start disintegrating. One compromises the helmet's already limited capability, the other makes the helmet uncomfortable to wear.
Everyone knows helmet is to be replace once there is an impact/crash....right? It gets one good knock, that's it, Needs to be replaced!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-30-14, 10:31 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
are you legally obligated to wear a helmet on a bicycle in WA?
I heard It may be true i if by WA you mean Western Australia.. Perth , etc.
Old 05-30-14, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
JohnJ80 - thanks for the very useful information (and best wishes for your son's full recovery). I wasn't aware of the MIPS technology - it looks very intriguing. Sure, no helmet will completely prevent concussions, but something that may help a little is, in my opinion, a great step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be too many MIPS-compliant helmets available in the US yet. Scott seems to have some MTB helmets that don't look too bad. The Lazer Helium MIPS looks sweet, but apparently won't be in stores until September....
Old 05-30-14, 11:17 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I'm sorry to hear about your son. I hope he is doing well. Thanks for the info. It's great stuff. FWIW last July I crashed and ended up having C1 & C2 fused. My helmet was damaged on the left side edge where I impacted. I don't think it did a lot other than break the fall against the side of my face. Anything that helps.
Thanks. He's doing fine but in a lot of ways, that's luck of the draw.

I guess from what I've seen as a ski patroller is if you helmet gets damaged it saved you at some significant level and I'd have to believe that was true in your case too. It takes a pretty fair shot to damage a helmet (from experience). I've rescued people who have had their helmet split into two and were fine - clearly saved by the helmet. I'd have to dig out the statistics, but I think with respect to fatalities the numbers are pretty dramatic but with respect to concussion/TBI, not so much and that's where the DAI issues come in.

Originally Posted by Biker395
Thanks! Heard all about DAI years ago while a juror on a personal injury case. Serious stuff. Something that minimizes those kind of injuries warrants replacement, IMHO.

Your link didn't work for me ... but these did:

MIPS | Safest helmets in the market

MIPS® - SCOTT Sports
Here's the link - MIPS | Take a look in the issue Popular Science. Thanks for finding that.

Yeah, after hanging around both inpatient and outpatient rehab facilities for over a year, I can tell you it's just heartbreaking to watch TBI patients struggle with trying to come back after an injury like that. Imagine what it feels like when you can't trust your very own brain anymore and it feels like it's "lying" to you. Imagine what it would be like to have to relearn how to interact socially again when to all outward appearances you look just like you did pre-accident. That's a really hard one.

The problem is that pretty much anyone you talk to does not realize that most helmets today do not provide any real protection from DAI, yet, in many ways, that's the debilitating part of the whole thing. If you've ever been close to the struggles that a TBI patient has to go through, you'd see the huge value in adding something like the MIPS technology to the protection of your head.

Taking all the discussions we've had over this, and all the reading, it like there is a certain level of acceleration/deceleration above which you start to sustain damage at an exponential rate. If you can push the acceleration experienced by the brain in the skull below or close to that threshold, you get significant reductions in injury. That's where something like the MIPS stuff is so important. In our case, had we had a MIPS helmet on our son, my guess is that we would have seen a significantly reduced injury and a corresponding improvement in speed of rehab. From all the stuff I've read and the the medical people I've talked to, because of the exponential nature of the damage with acceleration, there should be a huge benefit.

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I have 5 minutes to kill before heading to the train [puns]. My thought is 80% of advice about helmet longevity is bunk, some of it is intentional to get you into the store to replace a helmet that's perfectly fine. The best rationale I've heard is the hard shell masks damage to the EPS, i.e. it's compressed but you can't see it. The helmet looks fine, but it's lost a fair percentage of its crush potential. You are judging that book by its cover.

One of my favorite helmets is over twenty years old, with new, beefier pads. I suspect it will greatly exceed the test benchmark for a new helmet.
Certainly there is an element of helmet manufacturers benefiting by shorter replacement cycles. But the concern is real - they don't know how you are going to treat your equipment, and they do know that you cannot visually tell if a helmet is still functional. So what else would you do?

Having been through this, I just don't see it as a gamble worth taking. Protecting my head aligns with protecting their liability in this case and it certainly can't hurt. Discovering the marginal difference of replacing a helmet perhaps too frequently against the debilitating recovery time and possible permanent disability would seem to be pointless. If you find out that your injury would have been mitigated by a better helmet after you're injured, you'd pay orders of magnitude more to unwind the issue had you known prior. Been there, done that and I've learned that lesson big time.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 05-30-14 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 11:50 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Thanks. He's doing fine but in a lot of ways, that's luck of the draw.

I guess from what I've seen as a ski patroller is if you helmet gets damaged it saved you at some significant level and I'd have to believe that was true in your case too. It takes a pretty fair shot to damage a helmet (from experience). I've rescued people who have had their helmet split into two and were fine - clearly saved by the helmet. I'd have to dig out the statistics, but I think with respect to fatalities the numbers are pretty dramatic but with respect to concussion/TBI, not so much and that's where the DAI issues come in.

Agreed. I have no doubt my helmet helped. I just don't know how much or from what. And, having been an MSF Instructor, I'm just used to motorcycle helmets being so much more than bicycle helmets. I certainly wouldn't ride a bike without one. Glad to hear your son is progressing.
Old 05-30-14, 02:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I heard It may be true i if by WA you mean Western Australia.. Perth , etc.
his location is Spokane WA (Washington)
Old 05-30-14, 02:40 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I heard that the Aussies passed a mandatory bike helmet law.. I know Washington state didn't.

Australia also makes a penalty, a fine, for Not Voting.
Old 05-30-14, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I heard that the Aussies passed a mandatory bike helmet law.. I know Washington state didn't.

Australia also makes a penalty, a fine, for Not Voting.
just reading some articles on google it looks like there are helmet laws in certain citys in Washington but nothing state-wide..

yeah, Aus is a different place altogether.. their traffic laws are odd too..
Old 05-30-14, 03:02 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by GHill762
Wait, a cop asked you? are you legally obligated to wear a helmet on a bicycle in WA?
City ordinance in Spokane
Old 05-30-14, 04:09 PM

Coincidently I jumped on my Ducati today and went down to the local brew pub for lunch. While sitting outside reading two roadies walked over to the table next to me for lunch. One was carrying a POC helmet. Naturally I engaged them on the subject of the helmet. For the sake of brevity I'll cut to the chase. They said they (they were a couple) bought the helmet for it's superior protection. They also said that "heat management" was an issue. Apparently the wearer found himself with sweat dripping into his eyes whenever he wore it on a hot day.
Old 05-30-14, 05:31 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Coincidently I jumped on my Ducati today and went down to the local brew pub for lunch. While sitting outside reading two roadies walked over to the table next to me for lunch. One was carrying a POC helmet. Naturally I engaged them on the subject of the helmet. For the sake of brevity I'll cut to the chase. They said they (they were a couple) bought the helmet for it's superior protection. They also said that "heat management" was an issue. Apparently the wearer found himself with sweat dripping into his eyes whenever he wore it on a hot day.
Sweat in my eyes has always been an issue for me and I've always worn a headband. Luckily my mail order '90s helmet fits perfectly over a headband.
Old 05-30-14, 06:54 PM

Although I sweat less than most I always use a headband.
Old 05-30-14, 07:16 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Yeah, the POC is one of those MIPS compliant helmets. I took a look at it and immediately thought "not well ventilated". The LAZER HELIUM MIP thing looks better. The Scott, too.
Old 05-31-14, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is the helmet that replaced a helmet the emergency room doctor told me to replace, as he dug dirt out of my ear and put in 21 stitches. This one, less than a year old, has already been replaced--2 new helmets in a year. My latest helmet is the 5th helmet in the last 7 yeas. None of them were replaced because I did not like the color Well that is not entirely true. The one I had the longest faded from yellow to white, besides being pretty beat up from rough handling etc. I thought that was enough UV exposure to affect its functionality. I'm not sure why we get cheap or take chances on safety items like helmets and tires. I'll look at the Lazer Helium MIP when they are available.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-02-14 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 06:54 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
To my knowledge, there is no EPP bike helmet.
Yeah, there are some helmets around that are dual certified to the CPSC bike standard and the ASTM multi-impact skateboard/BMX standard that use EPP. Off the top of my head*, there's the Protec Ace SXP.

There are new technologies coming out to deal with DAI of which the one most in production is the MIPS helmet technology... Scott, Poc and someone else have introduced helmets with this capability. This alone is worth replacing your helmet to get this additional protection.
So far as I know (and I'd love to wrong about this), all one can say is that there are some technologies that the proprietary manufacturers claim deal with DAI. Unfortunately, when the empirical data was analyzed, so-called 'anti-concussion' helmets for other sports and activities fell far short of manufacturers' ad copy (1, 2, 3, 4).

*Pardon the pun!

Last edited by tcs; 06-02-14 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I always replace my helmet after X years where 0.5 < X < 15
Old 06-02-14, 09:40 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
So far as I know (and I'd love to wrong about this), all one can say is that there are some technologies that the proprietary manufacturers claim deal with DAI. Unfortunately, when the empirical data was analyzed, so-called 'anti-concussion' helmets for other sports and activities fell far short of manufacturers' ad copy (1, 2, 3, 4).
All of those articles are almost exclusively oriented towards repetitive high contact sports like football, hockey, soccer etc... Helmet design is distinctly different for those sports than for "once and done" sorts of protection like bike helmets, skiing helmets, etc... which rely on destruction of the helmet for protection against a singular event. The phenomena of repetitive impacts and the damage that they produce is different than the DAI style of injury that is present in a major traumatic event. A good lay perspective on this is the New Yorker Article by Malcolm Gladwell. The applications are vastly different.

MIPS is probably the leading technology. It's proprietary in the sense that MIPS developed it and owns the IP which they license to (any) helmet manufacturers. So there are multiple manufacturers with the technology in their helmets and it is not proprietary to the manufacturer although I suppose some narrow method in how to implement or manufacture it might be.

Measuring the effectivity of an anti-concussion technology is just very difficult in actual practice since it's got the same characteristics that testing firecrackers does. It's hard to measure a specific incident and know if it worked or it didn't work and you don't get to go back and try it again until the user gets a concussion. So the only real way to do this is to get a lot of units out there and follow over time - with all the problems that presents. That said, I'm comfortable with simulation technology as a decent start to give us a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.