Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Redneck Morons in Pickup Trucks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Redneck Morons in Pickup Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 02:10 PM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's time that this thread should be locked.
Old 06-07-14, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a redneck, but I really like my everyday vehicle, a Dodge Ram 4X4 diesel quad cab truck. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

The scariest encounters I've had, were people driving mini-vans. In both cases, these were women with kids. Perhaps they were distracted, I don't know, but I narrowly missed a life altering event in both cases.
Old 06-07-14, 04:07 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire
I think it's time that this thread should be locked.
It'll blow over. Poor neighborhoods will always see a kitted cyclist as somewhat fureign no matter ethnicity. You'll likely run more risks there. Ymmv.
Old 06-07-14, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by otg
Only problem I had was in Florida. Diesel Dodge Ram, exhaust pipes up through the bed of the truck like a big rig, pipes probably 6" around. 2 or 3 young white guys buzzed us, yelled something we couldn't understand and tossed a McDonald's soda at us. They had 2 full lanes to get around us.
We've got one of those in my area. Same Demographic: Young, white, and male. As with your specimen, the exhaust pipes have been routed up through the pickup bed,
big-rig style. How this passes MA state inspection, where every inspection sticker is accounted for, is beyond me.

Originally Posted by GFish
Not a redneck, but I really like my everyday vehicle, a Dodge Ram 4X4 diesel quad cab truck. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

The scariest encounters I've had, were people driving mini-vans. In both cases, these were women with kids. Perhaps they were distracted, I don't know, but I narrowly missed a life altering event in both cases.
Yep, we've got those too.
Old 06-07-14, 08:24 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I was riding on one of my dirt/gravel roads last night when one of these pickup driving rednecks came barreling over the crest of the hill kicking up a ton of dust. Upon seeing me, he slowed way down and crept past me to not billow up dust all over the valley. Gave him a hearty thank you wave.
Old 06-07-14, 03:34 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
We've got one of those in my area. Same Demographic: Young, white, and male. As with your specimen, the exhaust pipes have been routed up through the pickup bed,
big-rig style. How this passes MA state inspection, where every inspection sticker is accounted for, is beyond me.

Yep, we've got those too.
There is no real safety issue with a pickup with stacks, in fact for cyclists it's probably better, in that the exhaust pipe isn't at nose level. Someone should really tell them that for big rigs the big shiny pipes are no longer in style. While the huge pipes were a selling point in the 70's-90's and denoted power, now they signify big pollution, which doesn't sell well these days, so the truck manufacturers have gone for smaller pipes that end behind the roof top wind baffle.
Old 06-07-14, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well hopefully this is another post in this thread that can steer it back OT.

This happens to me, and I'm afraid to say far too often, like several times a year. The drivers lifestyle aside, there are a LOT of careless drivers out there . I've had a truck pass so close that his huge mirror on his dually truck passed over my shoulder - happened to me TWICE several years apart. I've nearly gotten clipped by a truck doing 40+ mph as I was in the center of the street sitting bolt upright with my hand out at a right angle signaling a left turn. He pulled further left and blew past me just as I was starting the turn and missed me by INCHES. One guy in a van clearing looked at me as I was approaching the intersection, he was stopped at the perpendicular streets stop sign on my right, looked right at me and pulled out when I was about 5 feet from him. I braked so hard that I nearly went over the bars, my tire bumped his van door and I came within inches of actually hitting the drivers face with my helmet through the open window.

Drivers are careless, people are wrapped up in their own little world, listening and possibly talking or texting not fully aware of their surroundings. There is practically nothing we can do about it but remain hyper vigilant and try and keep aware of everything going on around you. Take care guys, it's dangerous out there.
Old 06-07-14, 09:06 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
How this passes MA state inspection, where every inspection sticker is accounted for, is beyond me.
You get it inspected with the stock exhaust, then put the pipes back on when you get home. Hypothetically.
Old 06-07-14, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Ya never know.

I was out in da boonies today when a beat up old car starts tailing me. As I was wondering where I kept my Mace g*n (ans. at home) the "redneck" pulls up next to me, doesn't have to roll the windows down because he's using 245 air conditioning, and calls out, "I really like that bike".

Heck, everybody loves bents.

Old 06-08-14, 04:29 AM
Avid Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I rode together yesterday and we came upon two guys riding bents. I had not seen any bent riders in that area before. We stopped and talked for a few minutes. They were looking for a place to grab some food and I steered them toward a Subway location a few miles away. Seems they hail from Dayton area. They put lots of miles on the bikes.

The one bike was a tadpole design, the other two wheels. I really liked the tadpole, but I don't know about being that low to the ground. One reason I have the Fuji Absolute2 is the upright position. That's also why I want my next bike investment to be a Gran Fondo.
Old 06-08-14, 07:24 AM

They were looking for a place to grab some food and I steered them toward a Subway location a few miles away.
How could you be so cruel to someone you've just met to direct them to Subway? LOL
Old 06-08-14, 08:41 AM
Avid Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
How could you be so cruel to someone you've just met to direct them to Subway? LOL
They asked...
Old 06-08-14, 10:32 AM

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
they're not all rednecks guys and most of them don't drive pickups, at least here in Houston. It's women in gas guzzling SUVs on the phone mostly, around here.
Old 06-08-14, 11:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Pondering this thread further, I guess I would rather look out for or hear a "red neck" pickup driver comming than I would a latte swilling liberal in her Prius with a cell phone in the other hand driving with her knees.
Old 06-08-14, 11:40 AM

They asked...
My apologies. I thought you stated they asked where to get food, not where to get garbage, lol

All in fun, but it is true, I don't consider Subway edible food.
Old 06-08-14, 12:32 PM
Avid Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My apologies. I thought you stated they asked where to get food, not where to get garbage, lol

Plastic bread and processed meats? Good source of ballast.
Old 06-08-14, 02:44 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Better then McPukes --- although not by much...
Old 06-08-14, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guilty of calling the whooples in GA who'v antagonized me 'rednecks'. I drive a Jeep Grand Chrokee, its muddy, I have hunting r i f l e s, and survival bug-out bags (because, you never know, the cager zombie apocalypse thing...).

Cager is the funniest term I've heard... I just keep thinking of someone ENRAGED and just SCREAMING and FROTHING at our unmitigated gall that we get all spandy and ride on THEIR roads
Old 06-09-14, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You get it inspected with the stock exhaust, then put the pipes back on when you get home. Hypothetically.
Silly question: The one in my area seems to have the ability to spew forth thick, black, oily smoke from those pipes, at will. Any guesses as to what
the mechanism is for this?
Old 06-09-14, 06:23 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Probably a dust-encrusted air filter.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-09-14, 07:42 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Silly question: The one in my area seems to have the ability to spew forth thick, black, oily smoke from those pipes, at will. Any guesses as to what
the mechanism is for this?
Diesel engines don't have a throttle and carburetor like a gasoline engine, which meters out gasoline and airflow that match. Instead, they speed up only by injecting more fuel. It's not all completely burned. Especially not if you stand on the pedal.
Old 06-10-14, 06:34 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Diesel engines don't have a throttle and carburetor like a gasoline engine, which meters out gasoline and airflow that match. Instead, they speed up only by injecting more fuel. It's not all completely burned. Especially not if you stand on the pedal.
Older diesels should only produce soot when they are accelerating under load, and only for a few seconds, until the turbocharger catches up. More modern diesel engines should not soot, ever. Leaving a black cloud behind means the engine needs service. It also means that you have un-burned fuel, and un-burned fuel means you are wasting money on that fuel.
Old 06-10-14, 09:14 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Wogster
It also means that you have un-burned fuel, and un-burned fuel means you are wasting money on that fuel.
The topic of the thread is not long-haul truckers, but redneck morons. Have you ever seen what comes out of a diesel pickup truck at a drag strip?
Old 06-10-14, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The thing with turbo-charging is, there's a lag between giving it the gas (diesel) and developing enough boost for full combustion. I've been 'sooted' by morons who obviously thought it was cool.

OTOH, I drive a pick-up truck. It's the best way to carry my 7+ foot long bikes. I always try to lead by good example around bikes. Maybe someone who honestly doesn't know how do deal with bikes will see me and learn something.
Old 06-10-14, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
True this.
I agree with both Biker395 and Dudelsack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.