Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tell me about your century, including plans and wishful thinking

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tell me about your century, including plans and wishful thinking

Old 06-16-14, 10:58 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
My Century:
Five of us started at 5:00 AM at Willow Park, out on the west side of Fort Worth. We rode down to Cleburne, stopped for supplies, then continued on to Glen Rose. Then it was off to Iredell, then on down to Clifton. Our stop at Clifton was a combination Burger King/ convenience store.
Here's my hamburger. It was GOOD. This was at the 115 mile mark, by the way.

Charlie and Gary eating at Clifton.

Sharon caught some quick zzzs while the rest of us ate.

Then our route looped back up to Iredell again. We made a stop at Cranfills Gap for water on the way. Here's Charlie, Sharon, Gary, and Vickie at Iredell.

From there, it was a quick jaunt over to Hico, then we rode on up to Bluffdale. Here's the whole gang at Bluffdale, this was 186 miles or so.

From Bluffdale, we rode on to Lipan, got there about 9:30 at night. The reason we started at 5:00 AM was specifically so we could get to the store before it closed at 11:00, so all was well. Then on to Weatherford and ended up back in Willow Park about 1:55 AM with 249.8 miles.
Old 06-17-14, 04:06 AM

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
So I rode 113 very flat miles yesterday.

I started at Avoca Park at the south end of the Little Miami River Trail:

This trail is board flat and the weather was perfect, so there wasn't much suffering to be had. There was a major race going on at Loveland and I had to be careful not to get in the racers way, although they didn't appear to be taking things too seriously.

I went through beautiful downtown Xenia:

The above is Xenia Landing, built to accommodate cycling visitors.

I slogged my way through Yellow Springs.

There was a street fair in Yellow Springs and it was a mess. Thousands of people on the trail made travel very slow.

So I made it to Springfield, turned around, and had to go mano a mano through Yellow Springs again.

It gave me a chance to go through beautiful Xenia again:

The Dayton spur took me past a drag strip. It made an airport seem serene. I wish I'd snapped a picture or two of it.

I ended up along the Mad River Trail in Dayton:

Unfortunately I ran out of trail and energy, but if packed blinkies, strobes and one packet of Gu that made the trip on the Dayton city streets safe enough.

I payed strict attention to my nutrition. I had one milkshake, two Cokes, three tacos and the above mentioned Gu. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Today I'm tired but not sore. And there's a club century coming up in two weeks. I may be dumb enough to try it.

Thats it.
I have to try that route. I have never ridden up to Springfield - but have been to Yellow Springs and Young'a bunch. (Love the ice cream break)
I live in the working side of Oakwood. When I ride 100, I start out in Oakwood, ride to UD on the path behind Carmel's, to the river downtown and then out to London and back. Once past Cedar Springs, the ride gets a little ordinary. I like your route better.

I may try the fishing/cycling Century. Just pack a collapsible pole and a small tackle box.
The Dayton area is perfect for that!

Last edited by jjames1452; 06-17-14 at 04:09 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-17-14, 07:10 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
My Century:...Then on to Weatherford and ended up back in Willow Park about 1:55 AM with 249.8 miles.
Good Lord! Why didn't you just go another 0.2 miles and call it 2 and half centuries on one ride? That's impressive!!
Old 06-17-14, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5, 2013 Trek Domane 4.3, 2009 Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Century:
Five of us started at 5:00 AM at Willow Park, out on the west side of Fort Worth. We rode down to Cleburne, stopped for supplies, then continued on to Glen Rose. Then it was off to Iredell, then on down to Clifton. Our stop at Clifton was a combination Burger King/ convenience store.

Then our route looped back up to Iredell again. We made a stop at Cranfills Gap for water on the way. Here's Charlie, Sharon, Gary, and Vickie at Iredell.

From there, it was a quick jaunt over to Hico, then we rode on up to Bluffdale. Here's the whole gang at Bluffdale, this was 186 miles or so.

From Bluffdale, we rode on to Lipan, got there about 9:30 at night. The reason we started at 5:00 AM was specifically so we could get to the store before it closed at 11:00, so all was well. Then on to Weatherford and ended up back in Willow Park about 1:55 AM with 249.8 miles.
What great memories you created! I like your hamburger. No shoes, no shirt, no helmet, no gloves - no service!
Old 06-17-14, 05:26 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Good Lord! Why didn't you just go another 0.2 miles and call it 2 and half centuries on one ride? That's impressive!!
+1

I'm more than impressed by all the double century riders I've seen posting in here in the 50+ forum. I've never even done so much as a double metric. I wouldn't even have a clue as to what kind of pace to try and hold on a full double.

Much humble admiration.
Old 06-17-14, 05:46 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
+1

I'm more than impressed by all the double century riders I've seen posting in here in the 50+ forum. I've never even done so much as a double metric. I wouldn't even have a clue as to what kind of pace to try and hold on a full double.

Much humble admiration.
Yea, no kidding. Not to mention that sweet Felix the Cat jersey.

I like your style StephenH ... burgers are great road food.

Old 06-17-14, 06:36 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
5am is ridiculously early for a bike ride.

Me? I'm still climbing the ladder. Hoping to knock off a 70 this Saturday.
Old 06-17-14, 06:49 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Yea, no kidding. Not to mention that sweet Felix the Cat jersey.
Yeah you're one of 'em too!

That particular modern jersey is pretty cool even I'll hafta admit.
Old 06-17-14, 08:33 PM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5, 2013 Trek Domane 4.3, 2009 Trek FX 7.6

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Century:

When this 249.8 mile ride was over when did you all get back on your bikes. I think you should have taken at least 24 hours off.
Old 06-17-14, 09:27 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I didn't intentionally take time off, but had other things to do Sunday and worked late Monday, so just tonight got back on the bike. I don't think Sharon rode Sunday, so it'll probably be Saturday before she rides again; she'll likely do a spin class or something in the meantime. Don't know about the others. But we've all done 600k and longer rides, where you'll ride 220-250 miles the first day, take 5 hours off the bike if things work out right, then go ride another 150 or 200 miles. Gary's got the most RUSA miles of anyone, Sharon leads the women in RUSA miles, Vickie's racking up 1200k's, so they've been around the block a few times. Sharon rode the tandem with me on this ride.
Old 06-18-14, 09:17 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
Our Grand Tour training ride Saturday was almost a century (96.1 miles). We did have a fair amount of climbing, 1759 ft. It replaced our usual GT training ride from Flagstaff to Clints Well, which has less climbing but the altitude is higher

Clints Well

Bike Ride Profile | Bull Shifter Clints Well ride near Flagstaff | Times and Records | Strava

Our version of the Skull Vall

Bike Ride Profile | Bull Shifter Grand Tour Training Ride near Congress | Times and Records | Strava

I cant say I have ever ridden an unplanned century. I have ridden several on my own, in which part were with the club ride then I rode more miles to make it to 90 or 100+
My wife and I have friends who retired to "Prescut". I did manage to take my bike on one visit up there, but was beset by a flat on unloading the bike, and a missing inflator (found it laying on the driveway when we got home). By the time one of the fine LBS's opened and I got it squared away, I was only able to get in a pathetic ten miles before having to return and be "sociable". Having driven up there a few times, I have "caged it" over all of that Prescott/Congress loop, and it looks like a fine ride.
Old 06-18-14, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a bit young to post in this forum (48), but then it's not the year, its the mileage...

I've got 2 in this year so far.
First one was a 200k Brevet. I figured I wouldn't make the finish time. I am ecstatic completing the miles, with about 7700 ft of climb! I did ensure I was equipped to be self supported and well lit so pack was a bit heavy. It was fun, and the randoneur people are marvelous!

Second 2 weeks ago., took a day off to "set my soul free". Set out for a century with route only roughly thought through. This was also fun. Most of the ride was discovering new riding territory. Got lost a lot. Only part that wasn't fun was the getting lost in a downpour going up and down hills only to make it back to where I first got lost...

Both were at paces that most would likely not post. First half of 200k, 11.7 (moving averages per Garmin 500 with default settings) for 4003 feet. The second half 11.1 for 3763 feet. The solo century was at 11.5 and 3087 ft.

So all in all year's off to a good start!
Old 06-18-14, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
My wife and I have friends who retired to "Prescut". I did manage to take my bike on one visit up there, but was beset by a flat on unloading the bike, and a missing inflator (found it laying on the driveway when we got home). By the time one of the fine LBS's opened and I got it squared away, I was only able to get in a pathetic ten miles before having to return and be "sociable". Having driven up there a few times, I have "caged it" over all of that Prescott/Congress loop, and it looks like a fine ride.
I definitely would ride the Skull Valley loop again, and would ride it with the added out and back from from Congress on the front and end (totally glad we are riding down Yarnell Hill at the end of the ride). It appears I fat-fingered the elevation.. it was 7159 ft, not 1759
Old 06-18-14, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts
Have always wanted to do a century. But so far it is just wishful thinking. Late Oct to late April would be the best time here. Maybe.
Old 06-18-14, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
I ride a century every weekend...well a metric century.

I rode my first century (100 miler) in 1989. Since then I try to ride at least one, maybe more, organized century rides per year.

This year that goal will include the MS Coastal Challenge from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara.

BTW, for those of us who might be tempted to think that we are badasses because we ride a century, consider this.

Last year, One of my riding partners completed a double century (in one day). This year he will try for the California Triple Crown. By looking at him, you wouldn't think that he could ride 10 miles, let alone 200 miles--he is short and overweight, but he is got heart.

Another friend just recently completed the Bordeaux-Paris ride: 370 miles, over 13,000 feet of climbing in just in 25h10m.

Just writing about it makes me tired.
Old 06-18-14, 10:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Century:

Congrats to all of you for that ride, StephenH!
Old 06-18-14, 10:24 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
I definitely would ride the Skull Valley loop again, and would ride it with the added out and back from from Congress on the front and end (totally glad we are riding down Yarnell Hill at the end of the ride). It appears I fat-fingered the elevation.. it was 7159 ft, not 1759
Congress to Yarnell would be my first "2" climb. Maybe the next time we go I could get dropped off at Congress and ride the rest of the way to Prescott. That would need a much earlier start on the driving (from San Diego'ish) than I think I can get the wife to consent to.
Old 06-18-14, 10:35 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Dang, I'm going to have to work up to a double. Ordinary centuries just seem so ordinary after this thread!
Old 06-18-14, 10:50 AM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm slowly coming back from injuries, so a century is just wishful thinking at this point. If I were up to it physically, the Hancock Horizontal Hundred (very flat) in NW Ohio in September would be a goal.
Old 06-18-14, 10:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Congress to Yarnell would be my first "2" climb. Maybe the next time we go I could get dropped off at Congress and ride the rest of the way to Prescott. That would need a much earlier start on the driving (from San Diego'ish) than I think I can get the wife to consent to.
Congress can be warm in the summer. It was about 70 (or in the upper 60's) when we started at 6:20 last Saturday. It was comfortable all the way to Skull Valley, then it warmed up from there to Yarnell and back to Congress.
Old 06-18-14, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
had my carpal tunnel surgery today and have my 64th bd in 3 weeks. thank goodness for aero bars because my 130 mile bd ride has to be done on the 12th. will start at 0400, then meet with sat am lbs guys at 0800 for a 40 miler, then finish off my ride
Old 06-18-14, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Dang, I'm going to have to work up to a double. Ordinary centuries just seem so ordinary after this thread!
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but there is a double century in my future.
Old 06-18-14, 02:28 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
you guys/gals are an inspiration
Old 06-18-14, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
you guys/gals are an inspiration
Do you own something in your screen name?
Old 06-18-14, 03:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aubiecat
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but there is a double century in my future.
Congrats, aubiecat, and good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.