Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Tell me about your century, including plans and wishful thinking (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/953935-tell-me-about-your-century-including-plans-wishful-thinking.html)

Biker395 06-18-14 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by aubiecat (Post 16862133)
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but there is a double century in my future.

WARNING: They are addicting. :D

DCs are really just a long day on the bike (and IMHO, that's a good thing). You start early (e.g. 5AM or so) and finish late (e.g. 8PM or so).

After completing a windy, hilly century, I had a friend announce:

"Now if we were Vic, we'd turn around and do that all over again."

But it really isn't like that. It's hard to explain, but there when you start a DC, you've got it in your mind that you'll be out for a good long while, and the first 100 miles actually goes rather quickly. Mentally, it is nothing at all like doing a century and having someone tell you you've got to go and do it all over again.

By all means, go for it!

Dudelsack 06-18-14 08:29 PM

My next major goal is a 200K randonnee. In Kentucky the routes are crazy difficult, but there is a permanent up near Indy that is flat. I'd have to travel up the night before and get started pretty early, and it would be of course self supported like all randonnees. I'd finally be able to get my randonneering medal. I'll have to contact the route owner and check it out.

JimF22003 06-19-14 05:21 AM

The longest ride I've ever done was 139 miles, last year. About 40 of that was on a fairly flat bike path, but the rest was pretty rollery-ish. Usually my limiting factor on longer rides is not my legs or my stamina, but my feet and my butt.

Dudelsack 06-19-14 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by JimF22003 (Post 16864019)
The longest ride I've ever done was 139 miles, last year. About 40 of that was on a fairly flat bike path, but the rest was pretty rollery-ish. Usually my limiting factor on longer rides is not my legs or my stamina, but my feet and my butt.

What kind of shoes and pedals do you use?

StephenH 06-19-14 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16863420)
My next major goal is a 200K randonnee. In Kentucky the routes are crazy difficult, but there is a permanent up near Indy that is flat. I'd have to travel up the night before and get started pretty early, and it would be of course self supported like all randonnees. I'd finally be able to get my randonneering medal. I'll have to contact the route owner and check it out.

Not sure what you mean by "randonneuring medal" but note that the normal medals are available for ACP brevets but not for RUSA brevets or for RUSA permanents. Not to say you shouldn't do the ride, just if you're trying to get one of the medals, be aware of which rides they're available for.

257 roberts 06-19-14 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl (Post 16862707)
Do you own something in your screen name?

lol, at one time a Ruger #1B , Ruger 77 ( tang safety) Rem 700 ADL (rare!!!) and a Winchester 70 Featherweight XTR.. only have the Win. 70 now ( only bow hunt now )

OldsCOOL 06-19-14 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 257 roberts (Post 16865710)
lol, at one time a Ruger #1B , Ruger 77 ( tang safety) Rem 700 ADL (rare!!!) and a Winchester 70 Featherweight XTR.. only have the Win. 70 now ( only bow hunt now )

I shoot and handload for a .257wby mag. :)

Dudelsack 06-19-14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 16864056)
Not sure what you mean by "randonneuring medal" but note that the normal medals are available for ACP brevets but not for RUSA brevets or for RUSA permanents. Not to say you shouldn't do the ride, just if you're trying to get one of the medals, be aware of which rides they're available for.

Are you sure? Seems to me that a 200K is a 200K. It counts for R-12 and such.

Anyway, boys, cool it with the g*ns or the mods will be on us like flies on poop.

257 roberts 06-19-14 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16865771)

Anyway, boys, cool it with the g*ns or the mods will be on us like flies on poop.

10-4

OldsCOOL 06-19-14 06:19 PM

Could someone please give me the short definition of a Fondo and Rando? We sure have silly nomenclature in this culture.

....and brevets?

downtube42 06-19-14 06:38 PM

At Tour de Cure Indy this weekend I plan to ride 100 miles around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That's 40 laps of smooth pavement, nearly dead flat although bike traffic sometimes forces you up the banking. Food/water available at both ends, fans/family clapping at the start/finish, and an endless stream of people to pass. Weather is iffy and my legs are sore from last weekend's 24 hour challenge, but I'm hoping for under 5 hours riding solo. Fun ahead.

FrenchFit 06-19-14 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16863420)

I thought so too, centuries had little meaning for me. But I arrived at my RUSA 200k and drove the route the day before. Albeit I was behind the wheel but it struck me as the most dangerous route I could possibly imagine; I did a different ride the next day. Lesson learned, know the club, know the route, before you lay down your money. Some of these clubs seem to lack any common sense or sense of safety.

I am intrigued by an overnight ride. I did one solo a few years ago, rode back into my garage about 8am. It was cool, errie, creepy and novel...I might do one of those again. Doing an overnight with a group, that sounds like fun, especially if the weather's warm. Death Valley Fall Century by moonlight, that's sounds like something special - but I hear the Park Service may nix that event permanently.

JimF22003 06-20-14 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16864020)
What kind of shoes and pedals do you use?

Standard Look Keo's. I've used speedplays before and had the same issues. I used SIDIs for years, all types and sizes. This past year I've been using Specialized shoes, and they're a lot better. Still after a long ride my feet ache pretty bad.

az_cyclist 06-20-14 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16862969)

DCs are really just a long day on the bike (and IMHO, that's a good thing). You start early (e.g. 5AM or so) and finish late (e.g. 8PM or so).

But it really isn't like that. It's hard to explain, but there when you start a DC, you've got it in your mind that you'll be out for a good long while, and the first 100 miles actually goes rather quickly. Mentally, it is nothing at all like doing a century and having someone tell you you've got to go and do it all over again.

By all means, go for it!

That is a great explanation of a double century, Biker395. I would add that all of the dc routes I have ridden (only 5 different routes.. not that many) have been complete routes; you didnt ride the same route twice. Hemet is close to that in that your ride 2 - 100 mile loops, with lunch between the two loops at the start/finish.

unterhausen 06-20-14 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16865771)

RUSA sanctioned brevets and perms don't get you a medal for the individual ride. Has to be ACP sanctioned.

ACP doesn't sanction perms, and a lot of people don't bother to get their randonnees approved by the ACP unless they are part of an SR series. Anything over 200k sanctioned by RUSA or ACP will count towards an R-12 because this is a RUSA award. This includes the fleche and dart.

We did a 200k permanent last weekend, mostly gravel. It's a tough one to finish in time. As a free route perm, the time allowed is only for the shortest distance, which is about 10 miles shorter than the kinds of routes that I want to ride. Thread about it is HERE

I haven't ridden a century in a long time, but my experience is that 200k leaves me wasted. I was rather surprised on my first 300k to note that at 200k I felt great. And at the end I was wasted, but on the 400k I did 2 weeks later I felt great at 300k. So a DC is probably doable for anyone that has ridden a century in good form, even if it didn't feel like it at the end of 100 miles.

My experience is that anyone that rides regularly can finish a century. They may wish they hadn't, but that doesn't mean they can't finish. I have friends that call 200 km a "short ride," but those people are fulla baloney.

Dudelsack 06-20-14 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 16867633)
RUSA sanctioned brevets and perms don't get you a medal for the individual ride. Has to be ACP sanctioned.

ACP doesn't sanction perms, and a lot of people don't bother to get their randonnees approved by the ACP unless they are part of an SR series. Anything over 200k sanctioned by RUSA or ACP will count towards an R-12 because this is a RUSA award. This includes the fleche and dart.

We did a 200k permanent last weekend, mostly gravel. It's a tough one to finish in time. As a free route perm, the time allowed is only for the shortest distance, which is about 10 miles shorter than the kinds of routes that I want to ride. Thread about it is HERE

I haven't ridden a century in a long time, but my experience is that 200k leaves me wasted. I was rather surprised on my first 300k to note that at 200k I felt great. And at the end I was wasted, but on the 400k I did 2 weeks later I felt great at 300k. So a DC is probably doable for anyone that has ridden a century in good form, even if it didn't feel like it at the end of 100 miles.

My experience is that anyone that rides regularly can finish a century. They may wish they hadn't, but that doesn't mean they can't finish. I have friends that call 200 km a "short ride," but those people are fulla baloney.

Nice write-up on the other thread. Chapeau!

OldTryGuy 06-20-14 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16862969)

By all means, go for it!

My one and only 200 miler, not addicting to me, started at 0130 Halloween 2010. Rode 90 miles, stopped back home for a shower, quick bite and change then 8 miles to meet my Saturday morning group. 42 miles more with them and finished off the rest by 1500. Riding those early morning miles with a beautiful moon shining was awesome, riding later with my friends was invigorating and the remaining miles by myself was soul searching plus HOT.

Frankly, the variation provided by an Ironman event is more enjoyable.

BlazingPedals 06-20-14 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 16866152)
At Tour de Cure Indy this weekend I plan to ride 100 miles around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That's 40 laps of smooth pavement, nearly dead flat although bike traffic sometimes forces you up the banking. Food/water available at both ends, fans/family clapping at the start/finish, and an endless stream of people to pass. Weather is iffy and my legs are sore from last weekend's 24 hour challenge, but I'm hoping for under 5 hours riding solo. Fun ahead.

That's one I'd like to do: going for a PB century on a flat car track. Too bad the entry fee seems to be $225 for a one-day ride: ($25 for registration and minimum $200 donations.) On top of the hotel room. I don't begrudge them the fund-raising, but I'd be doing it for the ride, not the charity. Selfish motives, I know, but there it is.

Black wallnut 06-20-14 12:12 PM

My solo last weekend with 7,812' climbing:
Yesterday started rather windy and cool so before my ride I lathered on the embrocation in anticipation of cold muscles and tendons. Left the house thinking that I'd be fine in just my Sunday best, The ReCycle Shop 'new' kit. Got about a quarter of mile thinking"today is a Rule #9 day" turned around and went back to grab my YJA. Started again and rode like a lion because I am nearly peaking. thinking the whole way that I truely am a cognoscentus for suffering into the wind while meditating on the V and VV. it dawned on me at the top of the second climb that I was violating the goldilocks principle and pulled my socks up because it is important to look good. I climbed well for my weight. When nearly home I did a *** check only to discover that I was about done. Top of the hill I sur la plaque and raced home for my post-ride recovery drink. A-Merckx!

downtube42 06-20-14 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 16867941)
That's one I'd like to do: going for a PB century on a flat car track. Too bad the entry fee seems to be $225 for a one-day ride: ($25 for registration and minimum $200 donations.) On top of the hotel room. I don't begrudge them the fund-raising, but I'd be doing it for the ride, not the charity. Selfish motives, I know, but there it is.

Years ago we had an annual club ride at the track, little or no cost. Those days are gone; this fundraiser is the only cycling on the track these days.

There will be a monster pace line running around at 25+, with the tail end whipping side to side. Crash city for sure, but a fair number of people will finish under 4 hours.

Dudelsack 06-21-14 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Black wallnut (Post 16868116)
My solo last weekend with 7,812' climbing:
Yesterday started rather windy and cool so before my ride I lathered on the embrocation in anticipation of cold muscles and tendons. Left the house thinking that I'd be fine in just my Sunday best, The ReCycle Shop 'new' kit. Got about a quarter of mile thinking"today is a Rule #9 day" turned around and went back to grab my YJA. Started again and rode like a lion because I am nearly peaking. thinking the whole way that I truely am a cognoscentus for suffering into the wind while meditating on the V and VV. it dawned on me at the top of the second climb that I was violating the goldilocks principle and pulled my socks up because it is important to look good. I climbed well for my weight. When nearly home I did a *** check only to discover that I was about done. Top of the hill I sur la plaque and raced home for my post-ride recovery drink. A-Merckx!

i comprehend very little of this post.

OldsCOOL 06-21-14 08:08 AM

Very little, indeed.

Welp, getting a late start today......sunny, calm and cool. All day.

Mvcrash 06-21-14 09:03 AM

I don't know if it counts, but I was considering riding in the Police Unity Tour next year. I think it is about 250 miles in 3.5 days. Don't know if it counts as a century or not but I am interested.

Police Unity Tour | We Ride For Those Who Died

JohnDThompson 06-21-14 11:15 AM

I did my first century of the year last weekend. I was somewhat apprehensive since the cycling season here got off to such a late start, but I did ride the whole thing on my fixed gear bike.

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/ride4nature.jpg

Dudelsack 06-21-14 01:04 PM

Centuries on fixies are badass.