Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike for 2015 National Senior Games

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-02-14, 05:14 AM
tsappenfield

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I qualified for the 2015 National Senior Games in time trials by finishing second in the Ohio State Senior Games, 70-74 age group. I did it on my modified steel frame road bike, aero bars added. I want to reward myself by purchasing a proper time trial bike. I'm a little concerned that these bikes for the most part are tri-tt bikes. Does this really matter insofar as USA Cycling regulations are concerned? Also any suggestions as to a bike I should be looking at? I like Kestrel Talon in that it has great reviews and fits my budget.

TSAPP
Old 07-02-14, 05:55 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
You might post this in the 33.
Old 07-02-14, 06:12 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 294 Posts
Which event did you qualify for?

I'm not sure about meeting the regs but here is an article that provides a good overview of the details..........assuming it is still current. It would appear from the articly how you build it out and set it up appears to be just as much a factor from looking at the measurements.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for...egulations.pdf

Just some thoughts from my experience. You might be able to go with one size smaller TT bike than your traditional road frame. I noticed that on the Kestrel Talon (saw on Bikes Direct for $1399) the two largest frame sizes come with a 120 mm stem. That might be too long........at least it would be for me........I'm using a lot shorter stem to bring the bars in closer so my arms are more perpendicular to the ground and my back...it keeps my back flatter. I don't know how aggressive you want your riding position to be. If it is a longer TT event comfort wins out over form. If you're too uncomfortable you will not be able to hold your form and will lose power and speed.

Getting fitted to the correct size frame is pretty important for the best TT posture.

What kind of wheels will you be using? The most critical factors I've found in a TT are wheels and an aero frame. On our 10 miles events, having wheels made for TT events have shaved at least 1 minute off my times....that is a LOT. I use a cheap solid disc RENN rear wheel with a tubular tire and a HED 3 carbon spoke front wheel. You can also consider deeper rims that work pretty good too---lots of folks are making those these days. You might find some decent used stuff on ebay. Guessing the two used wheels are probably going to cost $600-$800 if you're able to find some bargains.
Old 07-02-14, 06:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 503 Posts
Congratulations. Quite an accomplishment.
Old 07-02-14, 06:41 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The Kestral Talon is a great value at $1299, but as noted, you will benefit greatly from aero wheels.

See if Eddy's will offer some sponsorship. They're probably the only bike shop in the area that's big enough to do something like that. If you could get a discount on a bike, wheels and fit put together by someone who knows what they're doing, you could eliminate guesswork on size, wheels etc.

Other shops may know more (like Cycleworks) or are nicer guys (Blimp City) but may be too small to be in the position to offer much.

In any event, get your bike as soon as you can, and ride as much as reasonably possible before your event. TT position, and a proper TT bike will take some time to get used to.

Congrats and best of luck!
Old 07-02-14, 06:45 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 101 Posts
Consider meeting with a reputable bike fitter who works with National level competitors. I know of some in Chicago. I'm sure northeast Ohio has someone you can consult. There are even fitters who use windtunnels, fitting can be very precise with the right technician.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-02-14, 01:47 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Congrats on qualifying. The Talon is a good bike, (I have two Kestrels.) Since TT wheels are so expensive, consider renting them for the competition.
Old 07-03-14, 04:34 AM
tsappenfield

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I qualified by taking second place in the 5 k time trial. Lot's of good info provided in this post so far. I'm still wondering about these time trial/triathalon bikes. Is there any real difference insofar as compliance with the rules? I've gone to the National Games website and the rules there are pretty general. Do the officials get out their tape measures? The Kestrel Talon comes with Oval 327 wheels which aren't exactly aero. I definitely would consider a wheel upgrade.
Tsapp
Old 07-03-14, 05:58 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Another place to check: https://www.bikeforums.net/masters-ra...al-thread.html

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-03-14, 07:44 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by tsappenfield View Post
I qualified by taking second place in the 5 k time trial. Lot's of good info provided in this post so far. I'm still wondering about these time trial/triathalon bikes. Is there any real difference insofar as compliance with the rules? I've gone to the National Games website and the rules there are pretty general. Do the officials get out their tape measures? The Kestrel Talon comes with Oval 327 wheels which aren't exactly aero. I definitely would consider a wheel upgrade.
Tsapp
For a 5k you can handle some discomfort so try and get into an aggressive position as you can. I bet the officials don't look at measurements that closely unless you are using something very unconventional. Another change I made was in my saddle. If you find you can't tolerate the stock saddle or have a suitable replacement you might look at Cobb, Adamo or Fizik.....or any saddle with a little wider nose that lets you sit more forward in a little more comfort. But frankly I haven't found a saddle that didn't apply some pressure when you're in a very aggressive position. Might be some deals on eBay.....

But I'd put more money in wheels and less in saddles!!

(Also if you need some tuneups you're welcome to come down and do a TT at one of our events at Charlotte Motor Speedway---we have 3 more this year, July, August and September)
Old 07-03-14, 01:58 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TSAPP, Congratulations on your result! I also qualified for the NSG event in 2015 at the Ohio Sr. Olympics last week. I raced in the 60-64 road races and TT's. Our 20 K road race was crazy fast and hard. We had a field of over 25 racers with about 9 out of state competitors. The out of state guys needed to have a top 4 finish overall to qualify which created quite the race dynamic with attacks and surges the whole time.

I raced in last summer's NSG in Cleveland in the Road Races but did the TT the prior years for the Ohio Champs. In the NSG last summer they did not require any specific race equipment or rider position limits. In USA Cycling events they do require that in TT events all bikes are required to meet UCI standards, but the NSG is not a sanctioned race. I raced the Ohio Senor Olympics this year using my track bike set up in Pursuit position with a raised seat and aero bar. In the 10K race I used a freewheel hub with a 16 tooth gear and a 51 tooth chain ring. I knew the wind and long hill at the beginning would be difficult with a fixed gear and the freewheel hub let me coast down the big hill. Anytime my cadence would drop below 120 rpm I would spin it back up until I lost form. In the shorter, out and back, 5 K TT I raced the bike in "fixed gear" mode with a 49/14 gear. I did put a single rear brake on the bike for both events.

A dedicated TT bike would allow you to have better time over your current setup. From my understanding the most important order of investment for a TT after conditioning is: Bike fit, Aero bar, Aero helmet, Aero frame, Skin suit, Wheels, Bearings