Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride on the Rio Grande Trail - 1st 50+ Annual Ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-09-14, 08:53 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

My wife and I are staying in Carbondale, CO - a beautiful small but sort of avant garde' town with two rivers running through it (the Roaring Fork and the Crystal Rivers).

Going through the town is the Rio Grande Trail - a RTR trail from Glenwood Springs to Aspen - 40 miles one way. GS and this trail was the site of the first annual 50+ bike ride, where about 15 of us got together for a few days and rode this trail and the Glenwood Canyon Trail following the Colorado River.

So, we are riding short but beautiful rides for a couple of days. Nothing like most of you ride, but slow relaxing rides that my wife - almost 77yo - enjoys.

Here are some not so great pics - I was having a real fight with my cell phone camera, due to Colorado's intense sunlight and the glare off of the screen, making it impossible to see what I was taking - and the pics show it. But, I thought you might enjoy these.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Nora on Rio Grande Trail.jpg (58.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
denver riogrande trail.jpg (98.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-09-14 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 04:52 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We saw bear spoor on the trail today heading "up." On the way back we had several reports of a "small" bear - assuming a cub. Several bicyclers went by coming our way, some totally oblivious. Well, we had to get back to the car, so I led the way with Nora behind and went gently and slowly down the trail. Did not see any bear(s). Lots of folks there and I am assuming that the bears are used to folks. I hope!!