Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You and your eating habits (diet) - how concerned are you?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you pay attention to what you eat?
(choose all that apply) I eat pretty much what I want, period
25.00%
I know something about "nutrition" but still eat pretty much what I want
28.75%
I modify my diet to follow nutrition guidelines
40.00%
Over the years I have seen many different nutrition plans and am confused
10.00%
I strictly follow a specific plan of eating, based on my or someone else's plan
25.00%
Something else? Please tell us below
5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-14, 07:03 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

There has been recent discussion regarding diet, disease (heart, in particular), following certain regimens and avoiding specific foods.

So, are these threads, discussions and concerns representative of many 50+'rs or of a few?

Take this poll (confidential) and let us know how much you are concerned, and, more importantly, practice what you do or don't preach.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-11-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 07:52 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Interesting results so far!
Old 07-11-14, 08:21 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I try to use common sense? Since I retired and not traveling I'm eating better, average 1 beer/month give or take, have been eating more fruit. I'm not big on deserts, but have a weakness for the occasional donut. Probably drink too much coffee, my greatest vice. I find myself pretty busy so only riding a max of 4x/week, but I walk the dog usually twice a day each walk a fairly brisk 20-30 minutes; I think this helps keep my metabolism going. I'm down to the low 180's at 6'0".
Old 07-11-14, 08:32 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires; Trek/Electra Townie Mega E bike.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Red meat, sugar and coffee. All the major food groups.

Old 07-11-14, 08:34 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Red meat, sugar and coffee. All the major food groups.
Are you kidding? Where is the alcohol? Where is the salt?

Glad you had the option to check more than once on that poll ...

Old 07-11-14, 08:36 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires; Trek/Electra Townie Mega E bike.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Salt---->an oversight. Yes.

Alcohol---->migraine headaches. Proof God hates me.

Old 07-11-14, 08:59 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm in between selection 2 and 3.
Old 07-11-14, 10:14 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Voted Number 2: No surprise since i need to lose a signficant amount of weight... I know what I should be eating but still eat all the junk I want... I generally feel guilty afterwards but sadly that has not stopped me. The only saving grace: as I get older my system won't tolerant alot of stuff like anything with salt (so no *******, chips or fries), I have become very lactose intolerant (so no cheese, other dairy, chocolate or ince cream) and I can't eat as much (although I still try to eat more than I can use). I don't smoke or drink alcohol at all. Maybe someday I will pay attention to nutritional advice etc.

In addition, I am healthy as a horse. "fat fit". Normal BP, low cholestrol, good heart, heart rate/pulse, take no medication, don't have alot of joint or relate issues so doctors don't pound on me much to lose weight... I know I have to in order to hang with my friends while riding - they are all skinny beanpoles!

EDITED TO ADD: I wrote "so no cra ckers..." like saltines or Cheez-its... funny the word got bleeped!!!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-11-14, 10:22 AM
Berta 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Blood pressure crept up this year, so I watch the salt and keep whatever I like in raw produce front and center in the refrigerator for snacking. It helps a lot that I don't mind cooking/preparing food. I'd be in trouble if I had to eat out a lot and still try to eat low salt.
Old 07-11-14, 10:22 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My diet:

Salt free as it effects my blood pressure and kidney function
Gluten free because my daughters are both celiac
Controlled green veggies as I have a clotting disorder and don't want to aggravate things
4 oz of protein per day as my mother and two siblings have a genetic kidney disease. I test positive but have not developed symptoms
Old 07-11-14, 12:36 PM
MikeD1

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I have probably read 20+ food/diet books in last 5 years and tried everything from Paleo-Vegan-Eat Right for Your Type. We've learned from the process. Currently we eat a lot of veggies, fruits, any red meat 2-3 times weekly, but minimum pork, fish 2-4 times weekly, some chicken. Try to minimize carbs but will have potatoes occasionally or wild rice, and Eziekel bread with peanut butter for breakfast

One common focus of most of the books and research I've done is to avoid gluten and processed foods of pretty much any kind including soda and most juices. If it is made in a factory instead of grown or raised I avoid it. . . . . . Oh, and yea I feel better than pretty much anytime in my life and I turned 60 a couple of days ago. . . . .My downfall is beer
Old 07-11-14, 12:54 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 394 Posts
I've seen lots of diet plans, but I'm not confused. Eventually, all of them have been or will be 'proven' to be bad for you.
Old 07-11-14, 01:31 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is no one size fits all diet plan . You have to cherry pick from different plans to suit your personal needs . The best diet plan is the one works for you .
Old 07-11-14, 01:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 358 Posts
In the past year I've lost almost 50 pounds. I did it the boreing way - mostly eating only healthy food and, to a lesser degree, watching how much of that good food that I ate.

I hit my goal weight. My primary physician even told me that she doesn't want me to lose any more weight. You'd think that would be easy - right? WRONG! I 'm not paying as close attention to my diet as I had been but I'm continuing to lose weight. Not as fast as I had been previously, but I've still lost around 2 pounds in the last month.
Old 07-11-14, 02:27 PM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose 1 and 2. I was really torn whether or not that is correct. The reason I say is because I am not at all overweight (under in fact) and my body fat is also low due to cycling (I guess) and weights. So I don't really care what I eat or drink but then again I do since I would like to gain ~10lbs of muscle (which I cannot seem to in spite of trying). Everyone that knows me says I'm a very healthy eater (lots of fruits and vegies not much red meat typically good portion control) but it isn't because I actively seek out these things (ie a diet) it's because I like them and they tend to be less expensive (which I also like). For example my work lunch is 95% of the time the same (because I like it) and consists of 1 PB&J sandwich, a yogurt, a fruit bar and 2 bananas after which I am quite full and it's cheap and easy to make and I really like PB&J...I could live on it exclusively (and my wife thinks I do actually)

So I'm conscious of nutrition and healthy eating but never sweat what I eat because what I like to eat often falls into the same category as nutritional food...so it's kind of a chicken or an egg thing
Old 07-11-14, 02:36 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on LCHF diet no alcohol plenty of biking started at 352 now at 193. Type 2 diabetic but blood sugar normal
with diet and exercise. Blood pressure low normal; it was 190/140 stroke territory ... yikes

To lose weight I have to be very careful about portion control. Goal weight 162 hope to be there by the end of the year.

Charlie
Old 07-11-14, 02:40 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 305 Posts
Cycling brought my weight down to what it was when I was a teen. If anything, that's made me less concerned with my diet as I'm not worried about weight anymore. That means no guilt with that third bowl of ice cream. I know I eat too much sugar and salt. I don't really care, except that I wish I could eliminate high fructose corn syrup from my diet as I have an feeling (unsupported by much of anything) that that crap is killing us all in ways no one yet realizes.

I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch in many years, but after the weight loss that came when I started riding I did find myself getting hungrier during the day. So I'll often eat a Clif bar for lunch now, which is probably a positive change.
Old 07-11-14, 02:44 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I went with #2 being the most accurate though I've found that how much I eat seems to be more important than specifically what I eat.

Several (7 or 8?) years ago I was a rather portly 180 but am now down to my college-age weight of 155 and that feels good to me (5' 9" tall), so I'm trying to keep it there. If I were to "slide" down to 150 that wouldn't bother me at all . . . but it's not that likely!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-11-14, 03:32 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
At 72 with a chemistry degree and 25 years as a research engineer I am skeptical of most nutritional advice. Most of it is quackery and I recall many changes in my lifetime in protocols by our nutrition scientists many of which are on the payroll of food producers or selling some "formula" to solve all health problems including cancer. I pay attention to my blood test results and make diet changes based on those when necessary: high Lipids and I cut back on fat, high LDL without high HDL I increase my mileage (currently at about 200 miles per week with 7500 feet of climbing). My HDL has been high for 30 years with its' CVD immunity. I eat few carbs except during (HEED) and after cycling. One of the new theories to which I subscribe is low fat chocolate milk after the ride as it works for me. If I live 20 more years I will conclude I am right. If not maybe genetics are more important than diet.
Old 07-11-14, 03:55 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon View Post
At 72 with a chemistry degree and 25 years as a research engineer I am skeptical of most nutritional advice. Most of it is quackery and I recall many changes in my lifetime in protocols by our nutrition scientists many of which are on the payroll of food producers or selling some "formula" to solve all health problems including cancer. I pay attention to my blood test results and make diet changes based on those when necessary: high Lipids and I cut back on fat, high LDL without high HDL I increase my mileage (currently at about 200 miles per week with 7500 feet of climbing). My HDL has been high for 30 years with its' CVD immunity. I eat few carbs except during (HEED) and after cycling. One of the new theories to which I subscribe is low fat chocolate milk after the ride as it works for me. If I live 20 more years I will conclude I am right. If not maybe genetics are more important than diet.
Statistically the most influential factors appear to be picking the right parents and being relatively rich. These trump even smoking and obesity, though that might change if we keep on getting fatter at the present rate.

The specifics of one's diet almost certainly matter less than the faddists would claim. The Inuit managed very well without green vegetables, for example, though they don't (or didn't used to) overdo the carbs or heavily processed stuff. The body is pretty good at synthesising what it needs from a variety of foodstuffs.

Personally I try to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, take a lot of exercise and let the rest take care of itself. The last time I had any bloods done - four years ago, when I was 55 - the results were described as "pristine". This may mean that drinking too much alcohol does one no harm, or it may mean that I'm just lucky. My money's on the latter.
Old 07-11-14, 04:02 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Statistically the most influential factors appear to be picking the right parents and being relatively rich. These trump even smoking and obesity, though that might change if we keep on getting fatter at the present rate.

The specifics of one's diet almost certainly matter less than the faddists would claim. The Inuit managed very well without green vegetables, for example, though they don't (or didn't used to) overdo the carbs or heavily processed stuff. The body is pretty good at synthesising what it needs from a variety of foodstuffs.

Personally I try to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, take a lot of exercise and let the rest take care of itself. The last time I had any bloods done - four years ago, when I was 55 - the results were described as "pristine". This may mean that drinking too much alcohol does one no harm, or it may mean that I'm just lucky. My money's on the latter.
I always thought wine and beer were one of the basic "food groups".
Old 07-11-14, 04:35 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I try to eat well but in the end count calories. I am trying to lose weight and I use My Fitness Pal to keep track.
Old 07-11-14, 11:45 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I gave up trying to figure out the diet thing. There's so much conflicting information, who's right? I think I've tried everything for health and/or weight loss. I give up. I just eat what I want and ride my bike lol
Old 07-12-14, 08:13 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I went with #6 . I don't find standard nutrition guides very compelling. I used a LCHF diet to get to my ideal weight but since then have experimented with modifications on my own. I follow a lot of health blogs and am pretty comfortable with my eating approach but wouldn't expect much support from nutritionists. For example, while I eat a fair amount of salad I eat virtually no vegetables - I have hated them since childhood. I get my vitamins from meat and fish.
Old 07-12-14, 08:16 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 545 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
I gave up trying to figure out the diet thing. There's so much conflicting information, who's right? I think I've tried everything for health and/or weight loss. I give up. I just eat what I want and ride my bike lol
It is amazing how much consistent exercise makes up for any bad dietary habits. I heard a well noted dietician and nutritionalist say this 25yrs ago. And now we have the diet nazis straining and gnats and swallowing camels because the vast majority of these have not nor will exercise/train their whole lives.

In my world....exercise wins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.