Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hello from a newbie

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hello from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 04:56 PM

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hello from a newbie

From my Introduction:

I’m 67 and have been riding about two months. The bike is a Schwinn Frontier which I bought fifteen or more years ago. It hasn’t received much use till now but I did put on new tires and tubes and cleaned and greased the chain. I ride three 3 times a week and always take a rest day after a longer ride. At this point longer for me means 20 -22 miles. I’m finally getting the hang of dealing with somewhat steeper hills. I retired last year and for the life of me I don’t know why I didn’t start riding then. Of course I’ve discovered that the mountain bike is fine for riding downtown to the post office but I need something that is better suited for longer rides. The Willamette Valley where I live has a lot of nice back roads and as I get better at this I want to explore them.
More:
As on older rider I’m quite surprised at the progress that I have made. I never thought that I’d get up to a 20 mile ride in this short period of time. Like most sedentary people who sat at the desk fro the last 30 years I’ve put on weight. I was a jogger in my early 30’s but feet problems have made it impossible to go back to that form of exercise. Voila! Biking allows me to get my heart rate up without wrecking my body. Sure, I’m a bit sore at the end of a ride but nothing like some stretching, a hot bath and a rest day won’t take care of.

Right now I’m trying to figure out what model bike that I should buy after I’ve put some more money aside. There are so many choices. I want a road bike which will also be good for one day tours. My budget will be in $1000 $1200 range. There are a number of LBS in town selling Specialzed, Trek and Branchi models among others.
I’d like to hear from anyone who has had experience with the above brands in the way of road bikes and price range.

Thanks
Old 07-22-14, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Welcome. As you are finding, being older does not mean you can't improve your fitness and endurance.
$1,000 to $1,200 should get you into a really decent bike, probably with a Sora or Tiagra group set. Nothing at all wrong with those.
Find a good shop where they will take the time to ensure a good fit, and back the bike up with service, and the name on the head badge won't matter a whole lot.
Old 07-22-14, 06:01 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome. 20-22 mile rides in a short amount of time is something to be proud of. Find a great LBS, not a great bike. A great LBS will steer you to a great bike that meets your needs - size wise, fit wise and otherwise. Not all LBS's are great, so shop around until you find someone knowledgeable and who asks about and listens to the type of bicycling you like to do, or think you would like to do. In my experience, many smaller shops fill that bill. But, some larger shops do also.

Again, welcome - and - I've got about 7 years on you, so don't pull the "I am old" routine - and I don't think you will.
Old 07-22-14, 06:30 PM

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Hardy +1 on first two posts. Following their advice will assure you of many pleasant riding hours.

No experience with bikes in question. Suggest getting best you are comfortable with financially and physically. Then get custom fit not just eye ball by LBS. Can do custom fit after a few months riding and then follow up in a year or so as your body will change.

As for goals, I'm 69 and started six years ago. Average ride this year is 49 and speed recently about 17.5. Average speed past year was 15 and 14 before. Oh yes, dropped 40 pounds since started riding. Like many others riding can change your life by getting and keeping in good shape. The adrenalin you feel after riding is wonderful.

Use this forum and Mr. Google to learn the many fascinating aspects of this sport or passion like how to shift, how to pedal, steer, turn corners, draft...
Old 07-22-14, 07:47 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Welcome back to the world's greatest sport. For myself, I like a road bike with a somewhat relaxed geometry and enough clearance for 700Cx28 or perhaps even 700Cx32 tires. This is one reason I am so fond of the old steel classics. Also, make sure you get low enough gearing for grades, headwinds, and fatigue you anticipate. Many of today's high performance bikes have very tight gearing and very tight geometries, neither of which suit my needs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-22-14, 07:54 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Again, welcome - and - I've got about 7 years on you, so don't pull the "I am old" routine - and I don't think you will.
You’ll notice I said ‘older’ not ‘old’. I’ve actually felt younger since I started riding but you all know that. Even a week after I began riding there were short moments when I was pedaling away and I felt like I was twenty five. Of course I then ran out of gas and had to stop pedaling. Now after a two hour ride I come home tired but my wife can see by the look on my face that I’ve had a good ride. I’ve either gone further or made it over that little hill that stopped me the previous week. Riding hasn’t given me that “Runner High” that I used to experience from time to time when I ran in my youth but I do feel “up”
Old 07-22-14, 07:59 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Hi

Sounds like you're having a ball and it reminds me of how I started about 37 years ago. Don't forget to carry at least a spare tube, patches, pump or C02 (that you've practiced using before you need it) and a little water for the motor .

Take your time with the bike upgrade decision. You might change your mind about what you want three or four times for settling on something just right for your needs. Lots of different bikes out there to choose from once you start looking into it.
Old 07-22-14, 08:24 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by cobolman
You’ll notice I said ‘older’ not ‘old’.
Yes, I noticed.

You would be amazed at how many "newbies" we get in the forum, who, at 50 or a little older, say, "I am an old man" or, "I am getting along in age" or something similar.

I feel sad for them, but also happy, as I know that IF they will start bicycling and otherwise working out, they will feel young again.

I respond - sometimes - "If you are old, then I must be ancient," but I usually don't say that, just tempted.
Old 07-22-14, 08:34 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Hi

. Don't forget to carry at least a spare tube, patches, pump or C02 (that you've practiced using before you need it) and a little water for the motor .

Take your time with the bike upgrade decision. You might change your mind about what you want three or four times for settling on something just right for your needs. Lots of different bikes out there to choose from once you start looking into it.
I always carry all that you mentioned. Three bottles of water as well. My last kidney stone attack was back in 1997 so I am always well hydrated. After an hour when I’m starting to get a little fatigued, I’ll stop and have a half of a nut bar and more water. I get back on the bike and I’m ready to go

Even on a summer day where it hits 80 or 90 during the day, the temperature at 7 A.M is around 60 degrees which makes for great riding. We rarely get much humidity here unlike other parts of the country.
Old 07-23-14, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
…I’m 67 and have been riding about two months. The bike is a Schwinn Frontier which I bought fifteen or more years ago. …I retired last year and for the life of me I don’t know why I didn’t start riding then… but I need something that is better suited for longer rides...

As on older rider I’m quite surprised at the progress that I have made. I never thought that I’d get up to a 20 mile ride in this short period of time. Like most sedentary people who sat at the desk for the last 30 years I’ve put on weight…Biking allows me to get my heart rate up without wrecking my body…

Right now I’m trying to figure out what model bike that I should buy after I’ve put some more money aside. There are so many choices. I want a road bike which will also be good for one day tours. My budget will be in $1000 $1200 range…
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Welcome. As you are finding, being older does not mean you can't improve your fitness and endurance.
$1,000 to $1,200 should get you into a really decent bike, probably with a Sora or Tiagra group set. Nothing at all wrong with those.
Find a good shop where they will take the time to ensure a good fit, and back the bike up with service, and the name on the head badge won't matter a whole lot.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
,,,Find a great LBS, not a great bike. A great LBS will steer you to a great bike that meets your needs - size wise, fit wise and otherwise. Not all LBS's are great, so shop around until you find someone knowledgeable and who asks about and listens to the type of bicycling you like to do, or think you would like to do. In my experience, many smaller shops fill that bill. But, some larger shops do also.

Dittoes to the other greetings. I’m lucky that I found a cycling lifestyle in circa 1973, and though it may have waned a bit, I never lost it, and it’s now stronger than ever.

I have a fabulous LBS I have used for about 30 years, and they know me well. In 2013, I had the difficult task of buying a new road bike after my beloved steel Bridgestone RB-1 was totaled in a serious accident that kept me from cycling for five months. I decided to see if those carbon fiber bikes were worth the premium price.

I went in planning to spend about $2000 and tried a couple. The store manager who is a racer and experienced bike fitter said here’s the bike you want:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption. Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.

I’m not that conversant with the technical specifics, nor may anyone asking the price, so the price becomes a common reference to tell what a fine piece of machinery it is…

I once read this description of a "nice" bike, "Lighter than a f@rt, and more expensive than a divorce."
So I paid twice what I wanted at half off---such a deal! That bike is so unbelievable that now I crave riding it. Considering that much (most) of my cycling life is behind me, riding that bike is a perfect way to make every day count, to “Carpe Diem.”
Old 07-23-14, 05:18 AM
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'd recommend a nice, comfortable, full-fledged touring bike. Then get a set of panniers, and explore the countryside...have a few adventures. We've earned it......

I absolutely love touring on my bikes. I have a wonderful old Hetchins touring bike that makes the miles just seem to melt away. I also have an old Shogun 500 touring bike that I bought new in 1982, and she's still a superb mount for doing distance. Touring, like all bicycle riding, is not just exercise for the body, but also medicine for the soul....... You become one with environment you are traveling through, and things start to make sense.

I go to the VA Clinic in Chattanooga every few months (I am diabetic). It's 43 miles from where I live in the N. Ga. mountains. One of my favorite rides is to ride to the clinic. I leave the day before, ride through some of the most beautiful and scenic areas in the country, and get me a room near the clinic to stay overnight. Just a nice, slow, fun ride, stopping when I want, maybe even fly fish a little on the way. After my appointment, I usually cruise through the wonderful parks along the Tennessee River, maybe go to the Aquarium, and some of the museums, zoo, etc..., do a little shopping, eat in a nice restaurant or two, etc.... I stay overnight then head back home the next day. It makes me look forward to my VA appointments.....
Old 07-23-14, 05:27 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
From my Introduction:

I’m 67 and have been riding about two months. The bike is a Schwinn Frontier which I bought fifteen or more years ago. It hasn’t received much use till now but I did put on new tires and tubes and cleaned and greased the chain. I ride three 3 times a week and always take a rest day after a longer ride. At this point longer for me means 20 -22 miles. I’m finally getting the hang of dealing with somewhat steeper hills. I retired last year and for the life of me I don’t know why I didn’t start riding then. Of course I’ve discovered that the mountain bike is fine for riding downtown to the post office but I need something that is better suited for longer rides. The Willamette Valley where I live has a lot of nice back roads and as I get better at this I want to explore them.
More:
As on older rider I’m quite surprised at the progress that I have made. I never thought that I’d get up to a 20 mile ride in this short period of time. Like most sedentary people who sat at the desk fro the last 30 years I’ve put on weight. I was a jogger in my early 30’s but feet problems have made it impossible to go back to that form of exercise. Voila! Biking allows me to get my heart rate up without wrecking my body. Sure, I’m a bit sore at the end of a ride but nothing like some stretching, a hot bath and a rest day won’t take care of. Right now I’m trying to figure out what model bike that I should buy after I’ve put some more money aside. There are so many choices. I want a road bike which will also be good for one day tours. My budget will be in $1000 $1200 range. There are a number of LBS in town selling Specialzed, Trek and Branchi models among others. I’d like to hear from anyone who has had experience with the above brands in the way of road bikes and price range.Thanks
Go with a Touring bike. I started road riding at 65 years.. Rode this when 67..

Old 07-23-14, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
That looks like a great trip. Did you post or publish a ride description? I note no panniers in the photo.

In 1977, my wife and I rode a fully loaded tour from Los Angeles to Washington DC on French road bikes (Mercier)...with sew-up tires.
Old 07-23-14, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Welcome cobolman. I too began cycling not that long ago with an old bike I picked up at a consignment shop for $56. It was a fine old bike but did not fit me. I was lucky to stop in a bike shop that put me on the right bike. Before rushing out to find your right bike, spend some time here reading the many posts about the many kinds of cycling people do with the many kinds of bikes available. Eventually, you will gravitate to some activity and have a good idea of the kind of bike the is best suited for it.
Old 07-23-14, 10:33 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of your best wishes and advice. It's raining today(we need it) but the forecast for tomorrow is good. The local Thursday night group ride has a bit of a hill that I'm going to try and climb. I'll let you know how I do
Old 07-23-14, 12:15 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
That looks like a great trip. Did you post or publish a ride description? I note no panniers in the photo.

In 1977, my wife and I rode a fully loaded tour from Los Angeles to Washington DC on French road bikes (Mercier)...with sew-up tires.
https://www.bikeforums.net/hosted-tra...e-ends-la.html

South Super Racer Girls Slideshow by 10wheels | Photobucket

We got Paid to Ride...

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/54...t-paid-do.html

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 07-23-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have said, Welcome! Sounds like you have a great attitude, and will enjoy biking in the years to come. My wife and I took our tandem up to the Willamette Valley about 15 or 20 years ago. Stayed in hotels and did a bunch of day trips around the area. You've got some great places to ride.
Old 07-23-14, 01:38 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
]

Very impressive!
Old 07-25-14, 09:14 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The local Thursday night group ride has a bit of a hill that I'm going to try and climb. I'll let you know how I do
I made it up the hill. They told me that I would do this before the end of summer. It feels good.
Old 07-25-14, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someday, I wanna go x-country and ride rt 66...

But for op.

Disc Trucker | Bikes | Surly Bikes
Long Haul Trucker | Bikes | Surly Bikes

520 - Trek Bicycle

Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | PAVEMENT - ALL-TERRAIN | TOURING

Novara Safari Bike - 2014 at REI.com

or you could go the endurance bike route, lighter and faster look up roubaix....
Old 07-25-14, 12:21 PM
Banned.

I made it up the hill. They told me that I would do this before the end of summer. It feels good.
Old 07-25-14, 01:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Wait a minute 10 Wheels. You say you got paid to ride with a peloton of sweet young thangs. Where do I sigh up and I work cheap.
Old 07-25-14, 08:07 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Null66

That's a nice kinda classic looking paint and decal scheme on those this year. I have no idea how to size these modern bikes with the sloped top tubes.....I'd have to go to an LBS for it if I wanted one I guess. I'm pretty happy with my gearing upgrades on my old 500 or I'd certainly be looking at one of those if I needed a brand new ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek 520.jpg (100.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 07-25-14 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
One other kind of bike you might consider is a RANS crank forward. Virtually everyone who tries one really likes it, many likening getting on one to be like that first time you learned to ride a bike as a kid in terms of sheer fun. No aching hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, neck, back or butt. Pretty much as comfortable as a recumbent, but not as funky looking and much easier to keep upright at a stop. They climb hills better than most recumbents but the disadvantage is you're less aerodynamic. Most people are comfortable with the seat for long distances, and if you're not, there are several modifications available. It can be equipped with a rear rack for touring, if need be. It's perfect for sightseeing on day trips because the bolt-upright posture means you can see a lot more than if you're bent over the handlebars. They're often available used for well under $1k. If you want to try one out, there are actually four RANS dealers in Oregon and Washington, including Coventry Cycle Works in Portland and Angle Lake Cyclery in SeaTac, a pretty well-known shop, although it gets mixed reviews.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rans_fusion_blu_10_z.jpg (89.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by streetstomper; 07-27-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 06:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do frame research and ride a variety of bikes before you buy. Know what size you need. That took me a long time to figure out, believe it or not. Handlebar and seat modificaton, bike geometry all play a part of bike sizing. I found that hybrids fit me better than road bikes, because of the shorter top tubes and longer HB stems. If I buy a road bike, I need a riser stem or preferably an uncut fork. Frame material, tires and seat choice all make a difference in comfort, especially on longer trips. Try a variety of saddles. At my age, I prefer my handlebars level or a little higher than seat level.

Choose a bike for the kind of riding you will do. I have several bikes for different purposes. You should feel more road vibration with aluminum. My road bike has 700x25c tires, which I find have fewer blow-out problems than 700x23. I prefer to fill my tires about 10 psi below max. recommended pressure. There are a variety of tires out there. I think Continental tends to be a bit more comfortable than Michelin, but it depends on which model. The more puncture protection, the heavier and sometimes harsher the ride. Puncture protection is good, however, esp. on longer trips. Brake pads are important to me. You may want to switch out the black pads that come on your bike with some Kool Stop Salmon pads or gray pads. They stop better and won't mar your rims. Hope some of this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.