Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Traffic control on a bike path (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/962778-traffic-control-bike-path.html)

donheff 07-30-14 09:15 AM

Traffic control on a bike path

1 Attachment(s)
Well, there is a first time for everything. Heading out to breakfast on a Virgina MUP, I encountered two guys controlling bike traffic through a work area, just like they do for cars on the road. I got a picture on the way back, after the rush hour commute was over but one guy was able to handle it by then.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=396306

Northwestrider 07-30-14 09:19 AM

Civilized , is it a particularly busy MUP ? Looks typically quite in the photo.

fietsbob 07-30-14 09:41 AM

NL has stoplights on Fietspad - motor way intersections . that is a temporary notice to avoid a crane stabilizing foot , crane out of the picture ..[I suppose]

Since NVA, Metro DC is lawyer heavy they chose to be pro-active, I would assume..

donheff 07-30-14 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Northwestrider (Post 16988868)
Civilized , is it a particularly busy MUP ? Looks typically quite in the photo.

The photo is on my way home about 10:30 AM. From 7-9 AM it gets a fair amount of commuter traffic heading into DC. When I rode out at about 9:00 (I was coming from DC) there was more traffic and two guys with Stop/Slow signs, one at either end of the work area.

Retro Grouch 07-30-14 12:24 PM

We have a traffic circle in Creve Coeur park where two trails intersect. It actually seems to work too.

Allegheny Jet 07-30-14 12:39 PM

If highway funds are utilized for the project, traffic control may be part of the construction specifications. We have a cabin in W PA that has a 1 mile single lane driveway leading to 13 cabins. Near the beginning of the drive, where it crosses public land, there is a road construction project taking place. A few weeks ago I went to the cabin and on our single lane driveway the construction company has installed a temporary traffic signal with red lights on either end separated by 50 meters. In that 50 meters there was a newly installed 12" drain under the gravel road that is a result of the road construction being done nearby.

tsl 07-30-14 06:04 PM

The section of the Erie Canalway that I use for my commute has had as many as five separate construction sites this year. (Fortunately, three are now complete.) Every one of them has had a flagger at one time or another. At one site, they've even built a temporary detour around where they've had to site a crane.

This section of the Canalway is known locally as the bike expressway. It's part of Adventure Cycling's coast-to-coast Northern Tier route, and hardly a week goes by without some tour outfit running dozens to hundreds of cyclists through here.

The NYS Canal Corporation is run by the NYS Thruway Authority. The Thruway certainly knows how to keep traffic flowing through construction sites.

I, for one, am grateful that they're treating cyclists on the Canalway as bona fide transporation traffic.

scott967 07-30-14 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 16990521)
The section of the Erie Canalway that I use for my commute has had as many as five separate construction sites this year. (Fortunately, three are now complete.) Every one of them has had a flagger at one time or another. At one site, they've even built a temporary detour around where they've had to site a crane.

Well, you know in Rochester there are two seasons: winter and road construction. Actually was in Rochester last month and there seemed to be lots of bicycles out on the roads (wife's family is from Brighton/Penfield).

scott s.

tsl 07-30-14 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by scott967 (Post 16990651)
Well, you know in Rochester there are two seasons: winter and road construction.

No, we have four seasons like everyone else. Only ours are named differently.
  1. Almost Winter,
  2. Winter,
  3. Still Winter, and
  4. July.

See? Four seasons.

leob1 07-31-14 11:59 AM

NYC has bicycle specific traffic lights on the west side bikeway(not sure if thats the correct name). The lights has a silhouette of bicycles on them.
They are obeyed\ignored as much as regular traffic lights.

GeneO 07-31-14 06:06 PM

This is just a harbinger of things to come - unmarked speed police bikes, speed displays (you are going 20 mph), speed bumps and all of those other trappings :D

That is a first for me

leob1 08-01-14 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by GeneO (Post 16993890)
, speed displays (you are going 20 mph),

I wish!

klmmicro 08-01-14 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by GeneO (Post 16993890)
This is just a harbinger of things to come - unmarked speed police bikes, speed displays (you are going 20 mph), speed bumps and all of those other trappings :D

That is a first for me

I got a finger waving when I set one of those stupid speed indicators off...it is a 25 mile an hour zone and I managed 32. The motorcycle PO was not impressed and glared, but let me go. I thought those thing were there to let you see how fast you could pass on a bicycle!