Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Famed comedian and 50+avid bicyclist Robin Williams found dead at age 63 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/965316-famed-comedian-50-avid-bicyclist-robin-williams-found-dead-age-63-a.html)

DnvrFox 08-11-14 05:47 PM

Famed comedian and 50+avid bicyclist Robin Williams found dead at age 63

My heart is breaking for him and his family. Current speculation is suicide related to extreme depression

George 08-11-14 05:51 PM

I couldn't believe it when I heard that. I really like every think about him. What a shame.

DnvrFox 08-11-14 05:52 PM

Read more about his cycling obsession here:

5 Celebrities Who Love Cycling | ACTIVE

Garfield Cat 08-11-14 06:31 PM

He had a lot of bicycles. The estate will need to handle them somehow.

Climb14er 08-11-14 06:42 PM

I'm crushed! What a genius!

'Good Morning Vietnam', 'Good Will Hunting'... masterpieces of his work.

His list of great acting is enormous and timeless.

I hope his soul finds peace.

jppe 08-11-14 06:45 PM

Sad. Very talented person. Distinctly remember him from Mork and Mindy and could not believe what I was seeing at the time.

He obviously needed to spend more time on his bikes lately to work through his issues.

HAMMER MAN 08-11-14 06:51 PM

Extremely sad. I saw hin @ the comedy club in Hollywood Ca. on Sunset Blv many years ago. An extremely gifted comedian and actor.

nuke_diver 08-11-14 06:53 PM

Said this on a few other forums.

So sad that someone who was so gifted at making people laugh was so sad inside

RIP Robin you will be missed

Adcam 08-11-14 07:11 PM

RIP, one of my all time favorite actors.

OldsCOOL 08-11-14 07:12 PM

Love his movies. This hurts.

doctor j 08-11-14 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 17027328)
He obviously needed to spend more time on his bikes lately to work through his issues.

That's exactly what I mentioned to my wife tonight. He had fame and fortune but was missing something. I regret his passing.

icyclist 08-11-14 08:32 PM

I remember my wife coming home with her sister, out from New Jersey, after going to a taping of a new TV show, Mork and Mindy, at Paramount Studios, which was close to our home. My wife told me that one of the actors on the show was amazingly funny, ad-libbing in a way that kept the audience in stitches. She predicted that we'd probably enjoy watching the show when when it was on the air.

Robin Williams had a lot left to offer us.

jskash 08-11-14 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=398837

BluesDawg 08-11-14 09:39 PM

http://www.deadredart.com/nanu.jpg

Frizlefrak 08-11-14 09:46 PM

Especially for those of us that came of age in the 70's, it's so sad watching the great entertainers of our generation die off....Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and fans....

volosong 08-11-14 10:12 PM

It's going to be difficult to fall asleep tonight. Thank you, Robin, for making me laugh so hard that my sides started hurting. You will be missed.

John E 08-12-14 08:46 AM

My wife and I have always greatly enjoyed his work.

I know I should not be judgmental, but I cannot help reacting emotionally, "What a loss, and what a waste."

Billy k 08-12-14 10:56 AM

I was at College of Marin at the same tie as him. I remember the antics with him and his fellow dram department students in the cafeteria every lunch time. He chatted with me about the war in Vietnam a few times,he was interested in my perspective . At the time I was the student leader of the Vets group at school He was curious about my doorgunner time in the I corps. I felt he was uncomfortable around me as were other students at the time. We were the "baby killers" at that time. We never welcomed home. Never the less he would sit on the lawn outside the student center and talk with me offten.Can't say we were friends or anything like that.

freedomrider1 08-12-14 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 17028636)
My wife and I have always greatly enjoyed his work.

I know I should not be judgmental, but I cannot help reacting emotionally, "What a loss, and what a waste."

you summed it up perfectly for me, thanks,

Dudelsack 08-12-14 11:54 AM

People far nobler than he was live and die in total obscurity. We worship celebrity. I'll really not miss him.

Mvcrash 08-12-14 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Billy k (Post 17029194)
I was at College of Marin at the same tie as him. I remember the antics with him and his fellow dram department students in the cafeteria every lunch time. He chatted with me about the war in Vietnam a few times,he was interested in my perspective . At the time I was the student leader of the Vets group at school He was curious about my doorgunner time in the I corps. I felt he was uncomfortable around me as were other students at the time. We were the "baby killers" at that time. We never welcomed home. Never the less he would sit on the lawn outside the student center and talk with me offten.Can't say we were friends or anything like that.

I have a close freind who was a DG in the Corp. God Bless You.

kingfishr 08-12-14 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 17029470)
People far nobler than he was live and die in total obscurity. We worship celebrity. I'll really not miss him.

Actually I will miss a genius that made me laugh for 36 years, he had incredible wit and was a great actor. Those that live and die in obscurity will also be mourned by those they touched. Robin Williams just managed to touch a lot of people in his short life, except for you I guess...

on the path 08-12-14 02:09 PM

I respect greatness for its own sake. More so, I have great admiration for a genius who shares his greatness with the world to make us all laugh. Knowing he was hurting inside much of the time, I feel empty and sad.

Biker395 08-12-14 02:11 PM

His death has me trying to get my arms around what it means to be hopelessly mired in clinical depression.

I was chatting it over with my wife last night and remarked that there were times that I wondered if I suffered from depression. I hadn't seriously considered the notion until recently, but the more I thought about it, the more I questioned myself.

She laughed out loud.

"You?!?"

I think there are times we all have one sign or another. Times when you feel like holing up in the house for a few days, doing nothing but watching old re-runs and eating bad food. Times when you mutter to yourself in less than charitable terms, telling yourself that you're not as smart, hard working, compassionate, or creative as you should be. Times when you wonder ... what's the point? Times when all you see in front of you is a long hard decline.

It seems there are a lot of people suffering from depression, and it seems more common with age. I have relatives that have been taking medication for years. Ones that have committed suicide. And I know quite a few friends that also struggle with it. Me too? I wondered.

So I did the best thing I could think of ... took a few of those on-line self-diagnosing quizzes. The result? Most definitely not depressed. At least, they didn't seem to think so. Maybe my bike is the only thing standing between me and the big D. I dunno.

But what it must be like to be so hopelessly and terribly depressed that you take your own life. Is it like the usual occasional hopeless, useless feeling we all get at times, but 1000 times worse? Or is it like losing your spouse, child or other loved one ... but it never eases and never goes away?

I'm curious as hell about most things, but about that one thing, I truly don't want to know what it is like. I think I'll leave it there.

RIP, tortured soul.

nuke_diver 08-12-14 02:41 PM

Everything I have ever read or heard about him (before his death) said that he was a very kind person. Even though he was a celebrity he did not hold himself above others. He noted for walking/talking/riding with folks that happened to say hi to him around Marin

Case in point

Just read this brief story, "Robin Williams And The No ******* Rule"
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...o-*******-rule

...And I have an especially revealing story about how Robin treated others. Back in 2006, I spent several days in a recording studio in San Francisco narrating the audio version of my book The No ******* Rule. At one point, I read a part about how, in my opinion, one of the best tests of a human being is how well or badly he or she treats others with less power. Right after I read this section, the two engineers I was working with began talking about various famous people they had worked with in this and other studios over the years.

I asked them: Who was the most civilized and who was the biggest *******? They answered the second question first -- they both agreed that the biggest ******* was Dr. Phil. It took them a few minutes longer to answer the first question, but they soon agreed it was Robin Williams. They declined to give me any details about Dr. Phil, but were quite specific about why Robin was their favorite: He talked to them, asked for their opinions, joked with them, asked if they were comfortable, and in general treated them with warmth and respect.

Robin was, in the eyes of those two engineers, a first-rate human-being, a mensch. We all die, the least of us manage that. Few of us leave such an astounding legacy -- in ways both large and small. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Not sure why that link doesn't work here...it worked elsewhere