Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wahoo RFLKT Plus Bike Computer

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wahoo RFLKT Plus Bike Computer

Old 04-10-15, 08:22 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Agree! It's not the RFLKT that will do the turn by turn directions but the cycling app in your phone. If I remember correctly from an FAQ on their website, Abvio is currently working on this. It would really be nice to have that addition for charity rides where you can download the route and not have to worry about getting lost. Since RWGPS is one of Abvio's top competitors, I don't think they will let them be first to market with something like that; or at least be too far behind them.
Well, it looks like the RFLKT and RFLKT+ now have support for turn by turn directions. I just got this email from Wahoo today. It's driven by the ridewithgps.com app.

Turn-By-Turn Navigation on the
Wahoo RFLKT and RFLKT+

The RFLKT and RFLKT+ now have turn-by-turn navigation provided by the Ride with GPS app.

As an added bonus, Ride with GPS is providing a free month of their turn-by-turn navigation service to anyone who purchases or already owns a RFLKT or RFLKT+!

All you need to do to get you one month free subscription is follow these 6 easy steps:

1. Download Ride With GPS app and create account
2. Within the Ride With GPS app, go to Settings->App Settings->Set up Bluetooth devices
3. Pair your RFLKT or RFLKT+ by following on screen prompts and accept on bottom right button of RFLKT
4. Pop up will appear on your phone alerting you of your free month
5. Plan your ride online at ridewithgps.com
6. GO RIDE WITH TURN BY TURN NAVIGATION and never miss your next cue!
HAPPY RIDING WAHOOLIGANS!

Old 04-10-15, 02:40 PM

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Well, it looks like the RFLKT and RFLKT+ now have support for turn by turn directions. I just got this email from Wahoo today. It's driven by the ridewithgps.com app.
Interesting, I grabbed the ap, and created a route pretty easily, emailed it to myself as a pdf. Printed cue sheet from browser pretty easily too. I don't know about $6-$10 a month however :-).

Last edited by Willbird; 04-10-15 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 08:25 PM

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 6.5, 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having an issue with my Wahoo setup, the RFLKT will change the display from the screen I'm on to one that shows time and miles. Also, when this happens, I get "paused" at the top of the display. After a bit it will say active and will return to the screen I was on originally. This goes on the entire ride. Saturday I ran Strava simultaneously and the Wahoo app is only recording around half of the miles I ride. I've replaced sensor batteries (TICKR and BlueSC) and I'm trying to find a RFLKT battery. I think the problem is with the APP itself but I can't find a reset procedure. I am in an email exchange with Wahoo tech support but thought I would ask here to see if anyone else had this problem.
Old 06-09-15, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tango6
I am having an issue with my Wahoo setup, the RFLKT will change the display from the screen I'm on to one that shows time and miles. Also, when this happens, I get "paused" at the top of the display. After a bit it will say active and will return to the screen I was on originally. This goes on the entire ride. Saturday I ran Strava simultaneously and the Wahoo app is only recording around half of the miles I ride. I've replaced sensor batteries (TICKR and BlueSC) and I'm trying to find a RFLKT battery. I think the problem is with the APP itself but I can't find a reset procedure. I am in an email exchange with Wahoo tech support but thought I would ask here to see if anyone else had this problem.
No issues here.

It sounds like the app is the problem if another app works just fine with it.

I use Cyclemeter and it works perfectly with the RFKLT+. Just recently I added a garmin hub (i.e. no magnet) sensor and have been using it in ANT+ bridge mode. That works perfectly as well.

You can change the app you use for pretty much the cost of the battery.

J.
Old 06-17-15, 06:51 AM

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 6.5, 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem solved. Deleted app and reloaded.
Old 06-17-15, 08:46 AM

Now that new sensors have been coming out that don't require magnets anymore (Yea!), I've been on a mission to replace those on my bike and my wife's. Wahoo makes a cadence sensor that uses an accelerometer called the RPM that supports either bluetooth or ANT+ and does it simultaneously. There are rumors that they are doing the same thing for a hub based speed sensor - should be easy, it's the same hardware as for the RPM but with different software and it will need a different mount piece for the hub.

Anyhow, there isn't a good hub sensor out yet that runs on Bluetooth and works with Cyclemeter. So I bought the Garmin Hub one and put that on my bike on the rear hub and the RPM on the crank. I use the RFLKT+ in ANT+ bridge mode since the Garmin sensor is ANT+. From previous discussions here, I thought it would be a potential problem but it seems to work flawlessly, at least with Garmin ANT+ sensors.

I am testing a sensor from VeloComputer that is supposed to do both BT and ANT+ and I've been having problems with it in Cyclemeter. I'm working with both the sensor guy and Abvio to resolve that. The Velocomputer sensor shows up and works with the Edge 1000 in ANT+ mode but I can't see it through the ANT+ bridge of the RFLKT+ in CYclemeter and it has some funky responses in BT mode with Cyclemeter. That said, this sensor has a lot of promise since it will resolve 25mm of wheel rotation. Right now, using the Wahoo sensors in BT LE and the Garmin sensors in ANT+ seems to work great.

I do have to say, it's great not having to worry about realigning magnets and sensors anymore. That's been a problem for me - and especially for my wife - when we travel with our bikes. On our cross bikes that we use for gravel and trail riding, we have a couple of sets of wheels and it's a real pain when you're switching wheels. With the all in one speed/cadence sensors, you wind up pretty much having to adjust both sensors on a wheel change.

With the new accelerometer based sensors, you install them and just start riding. In about 15-30 seconds all the sensors wake up and start reporting.

J.
Old 06-19-15, 08:07 PM

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I bought the RFLKT+ last month. It's been working flawlessly with RidewithGPS app.

I've got the basic paid subscription $50/yr. I create routes online then use my Moto X Android phone paired to the RFLKT+ via bluetooth to follow and give turn by turn directions, and also display the other stats.
I used it last week for a 6 day tour in Pa and NY- riding 50-60 miles per day- No issues at all.

If you are going to be in an area of no cell service or spotty service just download the route you created to the phone before the ride.

I see no need for a stand alone GPS.
Old 06-19-15, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Secteur, Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased an RFLKT about two weeks ago. Once the firmware update was installed it works well. The only problem is the HRM is very intermittent. I carry my phone in my rear jersey pocket and it randomly connects and disconnects. I am going to try carrying it my seat bag and see if that imporves the connectivity.
Old 06-21-15, 06:46 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by bassplyr
I purchased an RFLKT about two weeks ago. Once the firmware update was installed it works well. The only problem is the HRM is very intermittent. I carry my phone in my rear jersey pocket and it randomly connects and disconnects. I am going to try carrying it my seat bag and see if that imporves the connectivity.
If you are carrying your phone in your jersey pocket, make sure it's an outside pocket and not the center one. Best place to carry the phone is on the handlebars or in a small bag on the top tube. If you have room in your saddlebag, that will work also, but not as well as one mounted on the handlebars.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-21-15, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
It's still the app that does the turn by turn navigation. RideWithGPS simply has a screen that sends the data to the RFLKT, as a page view, with the voice directions cominmg from the app through the phone. The only issue is that you have to have the phone somewhere where you can hear it or have your earbuds plugged into the phone. However, you will still get the written info on the RFLKT, provided that you have that page displayed.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-21-15, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
If you are carrying your phone in your jersey pocket, make sure it's an outside pocket and not the center one. Best place to carry the phone is on the handlebars or in a small bag on the top tube. If you have room in your saddlebag, that will work also, but not as well as one mounted on the handlebars.
John,

My main purpose in getting the RFLKT was to NOT have my phone on the handlebars. My jerseys have one large pocket and while I can put the phone to one side, the connection is still problematic. Today I rode with it in the seatbag and the connection was solid until 56 minutes, then lost it and never got it back. I really want to like the product, but like most technology; over promise, under deliver.

Roger
Old 06-21-15, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another choice is a top bar bag for the phone
Old 06-21-15, 07:45 PM

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
John,

My main purpose in getting the RFLKT was to NOT have my phone on the handlebars. My jerseys have one large pocket and while I can put the phone to one side, the connection is still problematic. Today I rode with it in the seatbag and the connection was solid until 56 minutes, then lost it and never got it back. I really want to like the product, but like most technology; over promise, under deliver.

Roger
I'm curious what phone you have? I think the phone is probably more of the problem. Some phones have terrible Bluetooth radios and antennas.

My Moto X android phone stays connected to the RFLKT even if I walk 25-30 feet from the bike with the phone in my pocket but that doesn't help you...
Old 06-21-15, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker
I'm curious what phone you have? I think the phone is probably more of the problem. Some phones have terrible Bluetooth radios and antennas.

My Moto X android phone stays connected to the RFLKT even if I walk 25-30 feet from the bike with the phone in my pocket but that doesn't help you...
I was going to chime in and say the same thing.

My iPhone 5 and it's successor iPhone 6 both have awesome bluetooth. I can have a headset on and walk 30' away with no problems. I don't have problems with the RFLKT or BT sensor either regardless of which pocket I put my phone in.

That said, I have a MIO wrist HRM and I need to keep the phone in the left pocket or the HRM won't connect. That, clearly, is a MIO problem and probably they haven't done a good job on their device.

Finally, I have on occasion (not often) had BT problems with drop outs. A reboot of the phone usually solved the problem.

J.
Old 06-21-15, 08:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker

I have a Motorola Droid turbo. The connection to the RFLKT and cadence sensor is fine, no problems. It is strictly the HRM that won't hold the connection and is sensitive to location on your body. I think it is just under-cooked software and firmware.

Roger
Old 06-23-15, 05:54 PM

I have a Motorola Droid turbo. The connection to the RFLKT and cadence sensor is fine, no problems. It is strictly the HRM that won't hold the connection and is sensitive to location on your body. I think it is just under-cooked software and firmware.

Roger
If your heart rate monitor and speed/cadence sensor are going through the Ant+ bridge, the problem should also occur with the speed/cadence sensor. I would look at the HRM and not the RFLKT. I have an iPhonce 5c and have never dropped a connection on either HRM or speed/cadence sensors. Both are Garmin Ant+ sensors. I would try borrowing a friends Ant+ HRM and pairing it to your phone and see if the issue continues with a different HRM. It could just be that you have a faulty HRM.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-23-15, 06:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John,

My connections are BT 4.0 LE and my RFLKT is not the + version. However, I will check the battery in the HRM to see if that helps the stability of the connection. Thanks for your feedback.

Roger
Old 06-23-15, 07:04 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try changing out the battery in the HRM and see if that helps.